The Scribbler, Rick Sardinha (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
The Scribbler, Rick Sardinha (2D)

Title: The Scribbler
Name: Rick Sardinha
Software: Ps 7

Piece was created for gaming module cover using photoshop 7. the area in the middle on the sides that looks like canvas is actually scanned oil on textured masonite. any critique that will make me a better painter is welcome.

cheers mates

rick

Old 08 August 2004   #2
I really like it, especially the floating head looking over his shoulder. The only changes I can think to improve this would be to make his clothing a little more interesting. maybe some embroided designs or a cooler hat? I'm not sure about the outlines on the dragons also. Nice work!

Old 08 August 2004   #3
My favorite detail is the one eyed floating head looking over the Scribbler's shoulder but the whole picture is terriffic. I assume that the city on the river below him is one of his designs, as are the parchments above? Did he create a flesh and blood city, or is this a view of his imagination?

Crit/question about the item the little dragon is sitting on -- since his drawing table is inclined, is that a fixed post attached to the table or is the perspective wrong? Also, dragon's shoulders should have a more horizontal line between them -- his right looks high. Sorry, but that's all I can find to critique. It's that good!

BTW, I like the simplicity of the Scribbler's robe. He should save his creative energies for his scribbles.

Old 08 August 2004   #4
Nice job, I like the desaturated colors you chose.

Question: Where is the light source comming from? It would appear that it's either in his lap or a small light near the bottom of the paper he is working on so I'm not following it. Is it suppose to be that the document has some magical property and is lit?

Old 08 August 2004   #5
Looks great. I like the sketches in the background and the design of the monsters.

One thing upon closer inspection is those background trees (I'm assuming) is too closely to the same level as the water. It doesn't separate the boundaries between them and makes the building structure not pop out as much from the slivers on the sides. Also the dragons themselves don't seem to fit into the environment (might be the glow and dark blue on the dragons that makes it look out of place).

Old 08 August 2004   #6
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

some notes to questions and such:

the robe was embroidered at one point with a twisting gold sort of design but i felt the imagery simply looked better without it.

light source is coming from the document (yep, magic materials!).

the table , which i actually built a working design out of wood so as to get the correct angle has a small level lip at the top which is incidentally even with your eye. the ink bottle rests on that and the critter on top of it........his shoulder height relates to the fact that his right leg is actually perched on the lip behind.

as for the slight glow around the dragons . with your minds eye, remove the glow. see how they get flat? with it they float away from the piece and give me the depth i require.
if the bottom portion was a seperate painting i would have relied upon the sky for contrast but the 'sky portion' is the base of the desk so i had to rely on another solution.

once again thanks for viewing!

cheers mates

r

Old 08 August 2004   #7
Looks great Rick... although that face looks awefully familiar

I'd like to see the embroidered version of the robe and a bit more texture/contrast in the hat. I think they just need a little "somthing".

So uhh... guess the ball's in my court on the beer... um I'll send ya an email.

Cheers,
Jason

On a VFX Hiatus

Old 08 August 2004   #8
Very beautiful work, especially on the face

Old 08 August 2004   #9
very nice painting - i think the body looks too flat though, compared to the head.

Old 08 August 2004   #10
I like his face, nice work.

Old 08 August 2005   #11
Interesting phantasy work.Fascinating atmosphere with great technique .

Old 08 August 2005   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread