Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
blackboltstudios
portfolio
USA

Royal Scythe, (2D)

Title: Royal Scythe
Name:
Software: Photoshop

CGHub Competition image. The prompt was a "Royal Scythe" or a bird with a single-colored beak, colorful, and elegant body.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
misslovebug
Frequenter
portfolio
Carmen Casteling
Intern
Cape Town, South Africa

beautiful

such nice colors
really like the feel and nice composition

how long did it take you roughly

thanks for sharing

www.lovebug-carmen.tumblr.com
castelingcarmen@yahoo.com

Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
linainverse23
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Veronica Purpura
Anaheim, USA

Thumbs up

Ah, I was originally thinking of the scythe as a weapon (didn't realize it was also a bird). Nice work with the colorful plummage. I like how you spread out the feathers and gave them layers of vibrant colors without making it look garish. Your background could have used some more dimension and color variations (particularly in the back). It's too uniformally green and there's very little pattern variation in the foliage (so it starts to blend together into one indistinct mass). I'd recommend breaking it up with some flowers and different plants (like different colored plants and shrubs, all with different textures and patterns). I do like the long curve beak on the birds (it's both cool looking and kind of dangerous looking; I wouldn't want to be poked in the eye with that). Overall, you have many strong elements to this piece. Keep it up. Nice job.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
blackboltstudios
portfolio
USA

Thank you!

misslovebug - Thank you! It took... Hmm... probably too long as I'm trying to get the hang of painting concept art like this. I would say the better part of 8-9 hours? That seems entirely too long, but I'm learning as I go.

linainverse23 - Thank you so much for the constructive criticism. Your comments are very informative, complimentary, and utilize great tone. I completely agree with your thoughts, and actually didn't even consider that the background was a huge blobby green mess. It wouldn't have taken too much longer to add color variation and additional foliage, but the advantage would have been huge for the image. Thank you again!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
linainverse23
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Veronica Purpura
Anaheim, USA

I'm glad you appreciated my comments. This one was fun to study and critique. I'm better with animals and people than I am with landscapes, so I recognized the signs. Looking forward to your next piece.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread