Maiko/red kimono, Claudius Dreyer (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Maiko/red kimono, Claudius Dreyer (2D)

Title: Maiko/red kimono
Name: Claudius Dreyer
Software: Photoshop
Submitted: 5th December 2012

Digital painting of my wife.
I used Photoshop with a simple round brush 99% of the time. The rendering of the face was challenging because it is evenly lit from both sides and I had the most fun when painting the kimono! The wide aspect ratio of the computer screen doesnt really do the upright image format justice and it looks better when printed out. I started this as my final work in Don Seegmillerīs face and figure workshop here on cgtalk which was awesome but it took me about four more weeks in my free time to finish.
Comments and critiques are most appreciated since Iīm a 3d artist and consider painting a good way to study lighting and colors.
Thanks for watching

12 December 2012
Talking

Really cool. I bet she looked better in person than on camera (wink). I love how you did the hair ornaments. Did she wear a wig or was her hair professionally done (and if the latter, I bet it was painful). Very nice job with rendering her make-up (she's so white it's almost surreal), and I like the use of purple tints to help with the shading, especially at the forehead. I like the brushwork on the print pattern on her kimono, but some of the folds are a little too soft on the contours, making them appear a tad too blurry. Cute umbrella, nad I like the blurry brush work on it (it works there; and the color choices and the spots of light are really nice). I'm sure your wife will appreciate this. Keep it up. Great job.

12 December 2012
Yes, it was a wig. But combined with her own hair at the hairline for a more natural look.
Thanks for your feedback, glad to hear you like the ornaments!

12 December 2012
The face is certainly the best part. Would have been better, in my view, that the rest of the areas receive the same amount of detailing.

12 December 2012
Thanks for your comment. Itīs interesting because I cannot say that I put more effort in detailing the face than in the rest of her figure. But of course her face is the most important and personal part for me. Itīs also true that the background recieved less detailing but that was a conscious decision to make her stand out more. One could always tweak something but Iīm pretty happy with how it turned out.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread