Pinto, Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Pinto, Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Title: Pinto
Name: Steven Stahlberg
Software: Photoshop

Done for myself, illustrating an idea I had about native Americans living next to a tribe of centaurs. Photoshop. I find it very difficult to work with bright noonlight, because of the lack of chiaroscuro it's often less interesting and dynamic. I used old Western paintings as reference.

04 April 2012
Hello,

this is in my eyes perfect. I like the Expressions from the characters. This Picture tells a Story...perfect Job

04 April 2012
Haha I just noticed the handprint on the centaur's ass! I'm not sure if this is supposed to be tribal, branding, or something else? I like the colour palette you've used, it really helps convey a traditional painted look to this image.

04 April 2012
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that the image tells a story, because there's a story that came along with the initial idea. Basically, two species live in the same geographical region. They call themselves The People, and The Horse People, respectively. No one knows how this came to be.
The Horse People don't hunt, they live off fruit and vegetables. They are a lot like horses in their mindset - they run away from danger and only fight defensively when cornered. They have a matriarchal society and the tribe is their family unit. In many ways they're the exact opposite of the People, who value courage in battle above all else. The two species live in uneasy distrustful truce, with occasional outbreaks of violence when some warrior tries to prove himself by enslaving a Horse Person like he would a normal horse (which don't exist here).

There's a little trade, the Horse People discovered alcohol through fermenting fruit, and in return they get fur, leather, bones, feathers from the People.

This guy started off by trying to abduct this Horse woman, (putting the harness on her, and the handprint) but now they're both stalked by a horrendous predator called Teshneykeh. They must work together to survive.

04 April 2012
That is a well done picture. It should be an interesting meeting between European and American Centaurs. And the lets not forget the horses the other Europeans will bring with them.

04 April 2012
Greatly done the high noon mood with the dusty air! Cool also the interaction, the advising chief with his strange harness - what a freak!
Fantastic work!

04 April 2012
My interpretation before reading the story was: the guy mistreated his mare, so she reared and got rid of him. She got smacked for it(that I slightly stretched, as I knew she has a print, not a welt) and now she sulks at him.
More like an interpretation of a sulky horse.

04 April 2012
Clearly not a Mustang as those as very dangerous, highly aggressive animals.

The way you colored the vista reminds me of Frederic Remington. Very appealing.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

12 December 2012
The good: The Rendering is beautiful. You did a great job of capturing the light and feel of a western image. I particularly like the blue shadows.

The bad: I'm not believing your story. If that was the story you wanted to portray; I'm sorry I think you failed to do so. This image definitely reads more like the female centaur is a slave being reprimanded for naughty behavior and is being told her place and threatened to comply with his wishes. This is where the image rubs my feminist hair the wrong way (so to speak). No self-respecting woman, centaur or otherwise would allow herself to be lead around by the tits! On top of that the image seems to advocate the man's point of view (which honestly makes me a bit sick). If the harness was designed differently the image would have a completely different interpretation...or if it was a different scene...like showing them actually working together or her struggle for her freedom, etc... Just my opinion.

12 December 2012
Thanks. The image came first, the story later, so if they don't match that's fine by me.
About the harness - where would you put it? On her shoulder/arms/hands? Then she becomes even more captive. As it is she can easily grab the reins with her hands and yank them down, then buck forward throwing the rider off.
Or would you put it in her mouth, like we do with horses? Isn't that worse?
I suppose you're suggesting he should just speak or shout commands to her... well that can be slower than reins, and also misinterpreted or not heard at all. My wife says "Left" all the time when she means "Right", and I have to think twice too sometimes.
Or perhaps you want her to be the one in command, merely carrying him as baggage. Ok fine. But to me that's a less interesting image. shrug

12 December 2012
Quote: where would you put it?

I know where you can put it... ←It's too easy I won't say it. *snicker* Ok, so you did eventually make me laugh, especially since it gave me the mental image of the native american and the centaur having this conversation...hahaha...

But seriously, I don't know if you are clueless or you just don't care, so let me be clear. Here is what I am saying:
You have a great skill as an artist and I have always liked your work. This is the first piece of yours that has ever disturbed me. Regardless, of your intentions, the semiological implications of this piece make this one different than other work you have created and I expect better from you. Honestly, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this painting was all the women who are trapped in the sex slave trade and the women who are abused and told to remain silent.
Knowing your work as I do, I would guess you had a more lighthearted view of the image in mind, but you do need to be aware of the connotations your images can have.

12 December 2012
Damn, even your horse women are dead sexy. Great work.

Bound by Laws, the Beautiful Things

01 January 2013
The blue shadows on the ground are way too strong.... or on the flip side.... where are the blue core shadowing on the characters and everything else?

01 January 2013
Flip hand print and rotate it at 90 degrees counterclockwise for more dramatic effect

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by mybutterflyiris: The good: The Rendering is beautiful. You did a great job of capturing the light and feel of a western image. I particularly like the blue shadows.

The bad: I'm not believing your story. If that was the story you wanted to portray; I'm sorry I think you failed to do so. This image definitely reads more like the female centaur is a slave being reprimanded for naughty behavior and is being told her place and threatened to comply with his wishes. This is where the image rubs my feminist hair the wrong way (so to speak). No self-respecting woman, centaur or otherwise would allow herself to be lead around by the tits! On top of that the image seems to advocate the man's point of view (which honestly makes me a bit sick). If the harness was designed differently the image would have a completely different interpretation...or if it was a different scene...like showing them actually working together or her struggle for her freedom, etc... Just my opinion.

Not to be saucy, but i totally agree, found that harness offensive in where it is attached. the man is standing there appearing to chastise her, so one must assume they have a common language.

As to mr. Stahlburg's remark below, 'where to put the reins?', have you ever ridden a horse? One guides with weight shifts, legs and voice, reins are there for finer communication only, and to steady, and many of us ride without ever using them for anything but decor when the horse trusts and accepts the rider.

So with another sentient creature who you can speak to and can understand verbal instruction, reins are not necessary. to fasten reins to rings through a woman's nipples does seem fetish/s&m, and offensive. she'd have more than a mulish look on her face, i'm sure. Perhaps the male centaurs' reins get fastened to their testicles in the next rendition? It is a nice scene without this flaw, unless you've done it with male sexual dominane and bondage fantasy solely in mind. As a woman and a horse trainer for over 25 years, it attracted me till i noticed that - then i was creeped out enough to take the time to log in and comment....

Thread Closed share thread