Konk - The Pirates of Dark Water, Nate Hallinan (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2011   #1
Konk - The Pirates of Dark Water, Nate Hallinan (2D)

Title: Konk - The Pirates of Dark Water
Name: Nate Hallinan
Software: Photoshop

I think most of you might be too young to remember this cartoon but this hansom fellow is based off the character Konk from the cartoon; The Pirates of Dark Water. This was one of my favorite childhood cartoons and Konk here was voiced by the awesome Tim Curry.

Pirates of Dark Water was so imaginative with all its bizarre characters, creatures and environments. I thought it would be fun to take this character and redesign him in my own style. I hope to do more character from this series, it was really fun.

Konk needs fish bait... I think he's looking at you.

Old 10 October 2011   #2
Thumbs up

Hey!! Your technique is super amazing! I love how you rendering on the skin and it looks so realistic and what the spacial is your imagination that bring the classic cartoon and make it in your own style! Looking forward to see from you more and can't wait to see what the character will come next! Cheers!

Old 10 October 2011   #3
Wink

a charismatic guy

Old 10 October 2011   #4
Very good rendering, cool style

Old 10 October 2011   #5
His face looks crazy real! Tons of wonderful detail

Old 10 October 2011   #6
Wow! I would LOVE to see an animation/graphic novel in this style. Just fantastic!

Old 10 October 2011   #7
The lighting, detail, and form all remind me a bit of Michael Kutsche's work, which is a compliment since his stuff is great! That toe is disturbing.

Old 10 October 2011   #8
Thank you so much everyone!

Pyke - Me too!

benhartnett - I'm a big fan of Michael Kutsche's work and I've been studying hard to reach a quality near his. It means a lot to me to be compared to him, thank you!

Old 10 October 2011   #9
wow, it looks amazing, crazy rendering skills

Old 12 December 2011   #10
superb....like it...

Old 06 June 2012   #11
Very cool Nate, Pirate of Dark Water is one of my all time favs animation. Even have the DVD series, wish it could have more eps, but it was before it's time. Awesome skills and technique with Konk, very life like and surreal. Hope to see more Dark Water characters from you, you do the justice.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Awesome

I really enjoyed this cartoon series as well. Seeing this image got me excited that someone might be working on a Pirates of Dark Water movie. I'd love to see that done well.

Amazing rendering, of course. This one and the monkey bird look extraordinarily lifelike, but with a great style. Fantastic image.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread