The Owl and the Pussycat, Sean Frisby (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2011
The Owl and the Pussycat, Sean Frisby (3D)

Title: The Owl and the Pussycat
Name: Sean Frisby
Software: 3ds max, After Effects, mental ray, Photoshop

I created this image to celebrate the release of an ipad app I have been working on called 'The Owl and the Pussycat - An Animated Book'. This was a small internal project at Jonatronix, where we created and animated the classic Edward Lear tale for the ipad.

You can view a trailer at: http://www.jonatronix.co.uk/owlpussy.html

Fur and feathers where done using Hairfarm.

02 February 2011
cute!
the feathers on the owl look great.

02 February 2011
this is really great stuff!

02 February 2011
That looks fantastic. Great job!
Render Farm
Support@ResPower.com

02 February 2011
The owl and his cap are very nicely done.
I suggest putting more specular on the eyeballs. Show cat's hands and make her teeth catlike.
I think you can make the moon more cartoon-ish and more night like lighting.

02 February 2011
Thumbs up

Way to remain faithful to the orginal art style, yet bring it to a 3D medium.

The repeition of the owl's feathers in the chest bother me a bit, but that is such a side note to the overall composition.

=)

02 February 2011
Really nice work. Great use of hairfarm, finally image like this aren't a huge headache anymore

I agree with the above comments on the night time lighting. Maybe could have pushed it a little more, but the characters are gorgeous.

02 February 2011
Thanks very much for your comments. Much appreciated!

@Oormi - I agreed with showing the cat hands - I would prefer them on the side of the boat, where that rope tie is (which looking at now, I should have moved). This wasn't so easy in the end due to overall positioning for both characters (so they can look at each other) and the difficulties of rigging the cat. I did try cat like teeth, but they tended to look a bit vicious. The lighting indeed could be a bit stronger toward night (but there is a lantern on the boat which can be seen in other shots).

@Malkavian2003 - Thanks for the nice comment. I agree with you on the chest feathers, but I struggled with some of the technical challenges with these as they had to work for animation. Also tricky was mapping these to have individual detail, but taking on the base colour also.

Doing some self critique - I'd say that the brass rope tie by the cat draws too much unneccessary attention. The guitar's cavity is way too black - needs a label in there or something. The blurry cloud on the bottom left shouldnt be so blurry, and the cats whiskers could be a bit longer. Also the large mass of feathers on the bottom right combined with the sail above weighs the picture a bit the right. But hindsight is all well and good - onwards and upwards for next time!

Anyone got any comments on the actual ipad app? Thats where the bulk of the work is.

03 March 2011
beautiful your work

www.solin3d.com

03 March 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread