Esgaroth "Laketown", Tina Marie Lane (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2010
Esgaroth "Laketown", Tina Marie Lane (3D)

Title: Esgaroth "Laketown"
Name: Tina Marie Lane
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop, VRay

Taking the description from the text from the Hobbit of Bilbo's first time seeing Esgaroth. The town not on shore but out on the lake constructed entirely of wood and stands upon wooden pillars sunk into the bed of the Long Lake, south of the Lonely Mountain and east of Mirkwood.

This piece is a mixture of 3D elements and some over painting in photoshop. I did this in about 3 long work days.

This piece was featured in 3D Artist Magazine June 2010 Issue #17

05 May 2010
Beautiful!! And nicely rendered, like the previous 2 images I've seen from you (I think I will add your portfolio to my favourites ;-). Love the design, lighting, compo and artwork here. Lots of atmosphere too, as usual. Are the buildings in the background part of the elements which are modelled in 3D ? I think the slightly Thailandese or Indonesian look you gave to the houses is a stroke of genius.
Excellent job!! Congratulations!

05 May 2010
I am extremely comfortable in 3D I like being able to rotate around the space. Even if I have a one shot in mind I will design or think about what's around the corner. I modeled all the buildings and place them around keeping in mind my final shot. This scene was all modeled very quickly less than a day as I knew it was going to be one shot and I was going to paint over. So some buildings don't even touch the ground and I just moved things around while looking through the camera to get the profiles I wanted.

Below is the 3D elements that where very basic to give me a good foundation to paint on. Having a lot of the scene in 3D makes great alpha channels and atmosphere passes that make things go so much faster.

05 May 2010
Wow! Nice work! You are really gifted!! Great modelling here!

05 May 2010
This is really impressive - even more so, when considering the time, you needed to get it done. It seems obvious, that you had a clear image in your mind before you started out. You succeeded brilliantly in transporting atmosphere from text to picture.
For me personally, it has a Ted Nasmith quality to it.

05 May 2010
Impressive render, keep it up!

"It's what plants crave."

ResPower Render Farm
256-533-1090

05 May 2010
I have looked at the scene and I have imediatelly identified it in the Hobbit book.
I had imagined the houses a bit smaller.
Great work!

05 May 2010
Great job!
Did you ever model at this kind to build all body's from the view of the cam, if you want to have only one shot?
It's an intelligent kind to model for one shot, i think. But what did you do, if you want to shot at an other position? Did you know how many polygone's you used?

05 May 2010
Zeoyn - yeah of all the images I found ever done of laketown all I saw was short smaller houses but when I was in Ketchikan Alaska last year for a friends wedding what struck me was all the long wood stairs everywhere and the different levels. I figured the big large pillars in the water holding the town would be not an easy task to expand the original lot. The easy solution to expand for growth would be to expand up. Being inspired from some Norse architecture of these wonderful stacked gable look house and a bit some artist exggeration I came up with what you see. I am sure from a hobbit's perspective they would have looked oversize and tall and I wanted that feeling to come across the image. A human town would not look big for us so that is how I justified it to as I stacked a house on a house. In reality the buildings range from 100' (30.5m) -to 250'(76.2m) tall which is not unreasonable especially for this pyramid gable type construction.

Coffeemaan - I could do another shot with this model with a few addition of assets in areas the new camera sees. I did have a city plan from the research I did on laketown and being in architecture for so long I always come up with a site plan for any city, town, environment I do. Though this was done quickly I had done research and some basic planning in my head before those 3 work days mentioned. Below is some screenshots showing the basic city layout I did. If I wanted to could easily expand on this model for multiple shots. Oh the current poly count is 1,332,316

Last edited by Alanise : 05 May 2010 at 02:35 PM.

05 May 2010
Thanks for your explanation
The image looks great and the taller buildings work much better with the image composition than if they were smaller.

05 May 2010
Alanise - thank you for your detailed answer and the screenshot!
I didn't expected that the buildings had a little count of poly's. Which kind of textur modelling did you use?
I also didn't expected that the "village" is so big. So I can understand your answer that it is no problem to take an other view point for the cam.

05 May 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread