Sumo on a diet, Stephanie Landry (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010
Sumo on a diet, Stephanie Landry (3D)

Title: Sumo on a diet
Name: Stephanie Landry
Software: 3ds max, mental ray, Photoshop, ZBrush

Hey guys! I need your help!! I have to submit this project on the 22nd to my teacher and I don't know what I can do to polish it before the due time. If you have any advice, crazy idea or critics, I'll take everything! Help me get a good grade ;) thanks!

01 January 2010
I think your image is already very good. I checked it and here are my advices:

-The guy's hair seems a bit like plastic, maybe you could lower the hair specular a bit.
-The shadow behind the guy (on the wall) seems smooth on the left and hard on the right, maybe trying to make the shadow smooth on both sides would be better?
-At first glance I tought that the mirror's reflection was another guy at an other table, but I don't really know how you could change this, and it's a really minor detail anyway.

Hope I helped you

01 January 2010
thanks for the advice! I will try to fix the hair and the shadow. For the mirror maybe some dust or scratch on the surface will help understand that is a reflection, I will do some test and post the result later.

01 January 2010
you could fix the windows, they seem flat and it looks like the wall has no depth. Try to make the rims and the walls thick(20-30 cm).

Also, the tatami is not scaled correctly on the floor. A tatami is designed to be filled in by an adult (roughly 1.80cm length and 50 cm wide, google the correct dimensions).

To add to the sadness, try adding a vignette effect.

And yes, dust, some minor scratches would help on the mirror.

Other than that, good work. Keep on going and we hope you get a good grade!

*edit* throw the fork and knife and give him some chop sticks!

Einstein Building

Last edited by AlexCo : 01 January 2010 at 06:55 PM.

01 January 2010
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the advice! I will try the vignette effect like you suggest me. For the wall, I think the depth is not visible because the other side of the windows is not enough bright. I will boost the light a little. For the tatami and the chop sticks, I did not represent a classic japanese restaurant, I think it's feel more sad in a random cheap restaurant with a flat salade :P

01 January 2010
New render!

Hi guys! After a couple of changes to my scene and some post-compositing I finally did my new image! I hope you will like it and if you have any critics or comments don't be shy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stephanie_landry_final_comp_cgtalk.jpg (86.6 KB, 25 views)

01 January 2010
Thumbs up

I really like the concept! I think you've done a great job. Something that I think would really add to the realism of the image would be to include some photographic depth of field. I would try adding some lens blur to the chair/table in the foreground. This will also help with the composition as the eye will be drawn to the poor sumo wrestler making him more of the focus. Keep up the great work!

01 January 2010
Just trying to help

Well, I maybe the most not worthy to ask for help with this for I will not be able to create an image like this but here I go:

Your concept is really good. I do think it would improve if you emphasize it more. For example add other people who do enjoy a bountiful feast, this will sure make his meager meal and sad face stand out.

Well its only one but hope it helps.

01 January 2010
comme j't'ai dit en personne : c'est super nice!

02 February 2010
Wink

nice concept ,, rendering look good . her skin need some correcting ,its look like plastic , its really good work from a student ,, keep it up

03 March 2010
super cool!

Tres beau stef. Ta réussi a créer une histoire. Moi j'ai encore de la misère a tout intégré. Comme un gars t'as deja dit, peut-être si tu faisais un zdepth pass pis tu mettrais le focus sur le visage ca rajouterais. Mais c'est très bien .

ps: desoler j'avais pas vu avant que tu m'avais fais une demande sur cgtalk.

03 March 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread