Body Builder, Jian Xu (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010
That's ridiculous! (Awesome!)

Great render!

01 January 2010
Woo! incredible~
There is one of the best pieces i ever seen

01 January 2010
i love it.......lol

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by pussycat: wow, just wow. If you did not post the reference photo, I would have said you messed up his left arm, but no you did not. I suppose I'm not used to see this kind of anatomy and his muscles are so big that his arms look too short

yea my first impression was that he was exaggerating the proportions... haha, muscle heads these days are freaks of nature

01 January 2010
Amazing work.

Only crit is you messed up his left hand (thumb area). I thought it looked off when I saw your 3D rendering and then when I compared it to the ref image my thought was confirmed.

Still, outstanding job. Congrats.

01 January 2010
Amazing work! Looks like a photo source!

01 January 2010
I see now. 'Nice' technical piece.... It's a shame it's only a flat angle projected sculpt, it would have been great to see a 360 version

Lovely texture work and great sculpting from that angle.

Although his left hand is a little small? perhaps the original photo had some lens distortion which needed to be taken into account?

01 January 2010
It΄s almost better than the original photo.

01 January 2010
absolutely stunning!

01 January 2010
Thumbs up Wow

HI Jian Xu i haven't see you for a longtime. It's absoultly a stunning job. you have improved a lot.
wuyu

01 January 2010
holy mother of god that's an insane model

01 January 2010
Excellent work no crits. Nice to see the pipeline and how you go about it.

01 January 2010
thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by ne3go: Amazing photorealism!2 questions based on your sss material: You just used bump map, not any normal? And seeing the diffuse map, I assume that you didn't unwrap the whole character, just the visible parts?

Hi,friend,yes,I didn't use normal map,just use high model to render directly.and about second question,yeah,I didn't make whole character,just one angle.

thanks

Originally Posted by GerR: Great stuff. I noticed a few things that would help your work even more (its something a lot of artists seem to pass up). (one) Put lashes on his eyes. So many artists pass this up for some reason and it completely boggles my mind. And (two) don't over emphasize the veins so much. When looking at an actual person the veins are more of an afterthought because they are more subtly positioned below the skin. But when sculpted many artist draw unneeded emphasis to them. (three) The purpose of the oil on the skin of a bodybuilder is not only used to increase the specularity, but also to smooth out the appearance of skin texture. If you dial down the bump on the torso skin you will probably get a little better result. (four) I agree that the head does not match the body, and neither does the hand. This isn't because of sculpting. It is because of the diffuse skin color that you used on those areas. It differs far too much to carry over from the body. If you look at the reference, he has a more reddish tone in the darker areas of the face, which helps it blend more natually.
Great job on this, looks absolutely amazing. Hope my tips make sense, and good luck in all your future works!

Hi,friend,I agree with you most tips so much.this work emphasis over veins on body,it is my orignal thinking about the purpose of the exercise that did impressive details,that is just why I choose this kind of character body builder to be the subject. about the oil,yes,I think it is used to enable their mucles to be more smooth and show off more volum of their mucles,but once the smooth,it would be shinny and more details.about that the head didn;t match the body,I agree,I originally think the oil on face is less than body as other refrences,so I did more natural color of face than the real photo,a kind of exaggeration.
thank you so much winged words,it is helpful for my future works.

01 January 2010
woow! so cool ! i like your work ! Amazing work!

01 January 2010
Thumbs up perfect perfect work …………

Awesome render! Awesome work! Awesome detail !
yours work always looks amazing, my friend u are Awesome! good luck for u 2010 !

Thread Closed share thread