Hoteru no aoi, Andrew Hickinbottom (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2009
Amazing o_o
I really, really, really like the nose and upper lip. And the eyes... She totally looks alive. Great mood too.
Love it, probably one of your best ever.

09 September 2009
What a nice girl

What a nice girl

09 September 2009
cool

the only one thing - the nose bridge seems a bit wide
possibly because of the lighting

09 September 2009
character is not good but the scenery is not bad.congrat!

09 September 2009
Absolutely stunning.....
Its very unique... nothing like what we usually see....

09 September 2009
amazing modeling & very cool detalis i love this girls she is amazing

5***** from & i vote 4 u

good luck 4 ever

09 September 2009
great pic keep it up!

09 September 2009
Good work lad, hope the topology is up to scratch Reminds me of that night out in the 'City of Hoxton' with all those sexy Japanese women.

Lighting is lovely, but thought you'd at least give it a crack in Vray!

might seeya at Nexus again soon.

Dave

09 September 2009
Thanks, everyone for your replies!

Lee - i did watch lilo and stich a few days ago, and i have a few chris sanders sketchbooks, but it wasnt a direct homage. Ive been meaning to do a proper sanders homage - i just love the chunky face and body proportions on his characters. Her face was a caricature of sorts of the lovely lady predominantly featured on the reference pic below. I wanted to see if i can make a girl with a huge, wide nose appealing.

chokmah - it was tricky getting the exposure right. If i over-exposed the window, the reflection would not be as visible. Its supposed to be a grey, overcast day anyway.

Paulrus - i understand this term probably doesnt mean the same to the japanese as it does to us, but its got a nice ring to it. She's not really sad - its just a more creative title than 'asian babe inna window'!

Pussycat - i know - its my first time showing boobs on here. I remember a few people messaging me asking to delete suzie's clothes and send them a render!

Simonjaap - Heheh - i wanted to give her pointy boobs. Its a more intresting shape than the rounded melon shaped baloons most CG girls seem to have. Gives a nicer sihlouette too.

Fleety (dave) - Luis would flip if he saw the amount of shoddy triangles and unclosed loops on the body! Its just a one-off, so didnt pay much attention to topology. Yeah, i could have used vray or mental ray and used this as a teaching experiment, but my computer is just too slow for the adjustments and test renders. Im pretty pleased i did it the good old fashioned way anyway! Its not the tools, its the skillz! Yeah, hope i'll get to be a londoner again soon!

I tried to make this a quick, one-off image with rich lighting like my 'thom yorke' caricature, which, strangely enough, i finished almost exactly a year ago. It took a lot longer than thom did because i couldnt make my mind up about the setting, the lighting and the composition!

Here is the reference i used for her face, collected from a few nudey photos and some cosplay pictures:

And here is an unfinished WIP image showing a direction i decided not to take, for originalitys sake:

Thanks for all the comments, folks.

09 September 2009
hehe , a sure way to be considered ,playing with girls !

09 September 2009
Amazing work as ever Andy. You have such a distinctive style about your work.

09 September 2009
Totally understand. I just noticed you had mentioned you weren't sure if what you wrote did indeed mean what you thought. To someone that speaks Japanese, you've named it "blue hotel" - meaning, it's the color blue and it's a hotel. I thought perhaps you were trying to get across the emotion of being "blue" not just a color.

There's an anime that uses Aoi in the name - Aoi Yori Aoshi, but in that case, the Aoi uses a different kanji than the one for blue - it's a person's name, but translates to "Sunflower".

Anyway, I understand that's all totally nitpicky stuff. As usual, it's another stunning character!

PG

09 September 2009
Nice one!, thow i'm not sure it's the right style face, for sexyness of that kind, it would work better if she had a princess silk dress or somthing, see through, but only to the outline with no actuall booby-detail jejeje, or only just covering the bits..you know, make it inoccent like the face... u could also use the old out of focus bit of plant or something just in the way, or distorted through glass thing, if u want to keep her naked, or thats what i would do.. also not sure why i get the impression that the blue side is much more real or high quality than the almost watercolour other red side, or is that a shader?,

09 September 2009
I know your love for the Asian culture. It's nice to see you branching into other ethnic types...quite a nice job.

Thread Closed share thread