"AlienSoldier" Sega Genesis character remake, Pablo Fernandez Gomez (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2009   #1
"AlienSoldier" Sega Genesis character remake, Pablo Fernandez Gomez (3D)

Title: "AlienSoldier" Sega Genesis character remake
Name: Pablo Fernandez Gomez
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop, ZBrush

A real-time character based on the Genesis/Megadrive console game "Alien Soldier", 1995
This character was done along the Jon Rush' Modern Characters Creation CGWorkshop.
Intention was to do something really different than the usual, plus solve the "feather" thing :)
I will also upload a Closer screenshot of the character on my gallery.
Critics welcome..

Old 08 August 2009   #2
A close-up version..

Old 08 August 2009   #3
Talking This Rocks!!

Nice man this is awesome! Did u do a Concept sketch first?

what do I need to learn to do a character like this?

Props anyways!!

Old 08 August 2009   #4
Hey Bboy..

Yeah I did some concepting.. nothing fancy, just some drawing based on the original char idea from the Sega.
This is basiccally 3d, like always.. its just meant for realtime, so there is certain restrictions over polys and tex's pages.. and shaders are made for work on Directx, GPU rendered, like most games.

Greetz and thx for the comment

Old 08 August 2009   #5
I like it has a great feel to it well done

Old 08 August 2009   #6
Finally uploaded it! I'd like to see it compared with the original sprite though, with wires and tri count.

Old 08 August 2009   #7
hey this is cool...i'm starting the jon rush course on monday....how did you find it? it certainly looks like it gives some good results....

Old 08 August 2009   #8
Hey Robo
Its a very cool course.. and Jon puts big effort on it. Its focused mainly on the technical part though. This is, tools and how-to' more than anything.
I had some experience working on Chars stuff before joining the course, some things takes times to figure..
Anyway Im pretty sure you won't be Disappointed

Hey Natham..
I would upload screenshots of the actual game, but Im not completely sure about copyright thing on that stuff. I guess would be ok, but just in case..
Anyway, putting "alien soldier sega genesis" on google would do fine.
Heres some screenshots made during the process.. wires and stuff. I went farther than the actual 9000p base set.. but making those feathers look good was one of my actual objectives
and a pain in the *ss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mallafinalf.jpg (60.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg pollobackclosel.jpg (63.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg plumas32.jpg (34.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Grungefm : 08 August 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Old 08 August 2009   #9
thanks for letting me know about the course....i'm quite excited about it....do you get to download the videos jon provides or are they just streaming?

Old 08 August 2009   #10
They are streaming.. at least they were. But Jon provided a method to get em to the harddrive..

Old 08 August 2009   #11
Great remix!

Old 09 September 2009   #12
Nice work Pablo! Was fun having you in the class...

Tell us all about how much fun those feathers were! :P

Old 09 September 2009   #13
Originally Posted by Ancient-Pig: Nice work Pablo! Was fun having you in the class...

Tell us all about how much fun those feathers were! :P

Hey Jon!
Well.. they were a "butthurt"
They were mostly placed and rotated one by one, and then duplicated and rotated again to make the the neighboring ones..and It was a long and repetitive process.
But I choosed this character for the feather thing, and like the results so I won't complain

Last edited by Grungefm : 09 September 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Political correction!lol

Old 02 February 2010   #14
Hi Grungefm,

Excellent work! Wow, love the design and the final renders!

I'm currently in Jon's class and I picked up the Alien Soldier also. I made it a male first but then changed it back to female. I came up with few sketches and a basic stub based on the original model.

When did you decide to change the out look of this character? The suit, the hoses, the mechanical part, they were all not part of the original design...was that during concepting and sketching phase or throught out the sculpting stage?

Old 02 February 2010   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread