Turok, Jan Berger (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2009   #16
@Raul-Reznek: Thanks for your comment. I agree that it could have helped pushing the image.

@everybody: thanks for your nice comments

And here is a screen grab from Maya ( not the original Camera position though )

Old 05 May 2009   #17
I like his pose with the composite bow,

Great work

Old 05 May 2009   #18
I really like the volumetric light, i think it makes the image look more creepy. If that was the front cover of a game i would be picking it up to look at it for sure

Old 05 May 2009   #19
Great job on rebuilding & posing the character, I know how tight the deadlines can be on these things & there's a lot of work there. When you say ZBrush tools were you provided the high res sculpts that the models/normal maps..etc were derived from?

As an overall image there are a few things in my opinion that be done to punch it up a little. Like others have said the volumetric lighting could do with a little more love, at the moment it's pretty soft/vague.

The dinosaurs are obviously duplicates of the same model(s), which is fine but it would help if they were broken up a little more i.e, mix & match so you don't see two side by side. Due to the detail on their texture & the overall colour/lighting they're also getting lost against the background.

I've done a quick & dirty pass on the colours/levels play in Photoshop to try & show what I mean.

But ultimately I know there's precious little time on these things & multiple people to please, so feel free to ingore all of the above

Old 05 May 2009   #20
nice work ...
i might say that i agree with the light rays in the back needing some tweaking

also ... how about making an arrow on 2 sticking out from one or more of these nice lizards
(they are lizard ..right ... not cats )

on a side note ... couldn't you give the guy a heavy machine gun insted of a bow ... are you trying to get him killed ?!

nice work

it would be even nicer if you give us some tips and tricks on how you made that !!

cewolf out

Last edited by cewolf : 05 May 2009 at 09:55 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #21
Originally Posted by cewolf: on a side note ... couldn't you give the guy a heavy machine gun insted of a bow ... are you trying to get him killed ?!

bah. Turok is like MacGyver! he doesnt need the highest tech weapons to get out of a fight. Something as primitive as a bow and arrow will do just fine

congratulations!.

Old 05 May 2009   #22
Yeah! Due to NDA constraints I canīt get into details, but during the PR shootings I saw him taking out a hord of raptors with a chewing-gum and a tooth-pick ; )

Last edited by Buexe : 05 May 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #23
hmmm... 3 arrows, 4 dinosaurs....

yup, he's toast. :+P

Old 05 May 2009   #24
I see 5 dinosaurs
Great work btw! cheers!

Old 05 May 2009   #25
Originally Posted by SeanE: hmmm... 3 arrows, 4 dinosaurs....

yup, he's toast. :+P

turok can do the possimpible. never doubt him.

Old 05 May 2009   #26
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper: bah. Turok is like MacGyver! he doesnt need the highest tech weapons to get out of a fight. Something as primitive as a bow and arrow will do just fine

congratulations!.

Turok needs a Mullet haircut to complete his full MacGyver transformation

I so remember playing Turok on the Nintendo 64...ahhh it was so cool...

Old 05 May 2009   #27
@all: thanks for your kind words!
@cgtalk: thanks for the plug! That is awesome!
@AJ: Yeah, I see your point. Some Hue change would definitely help separating the raptors from the rocks a little bit more. And yes, they gave me ZBrush tools, from which I was able to generate displacement maps instead of normal maps for the game version.
@cewolf: Generally there is no secret method involved here. What helped was that using Renderman for Maya I was able to render a whole bunch of 4K 32bit displacement maps with having memory issues ( It was done on 32bit machine ). This let me pretty much tweak everything in one scene and then I could render it out and have only very few layers to deal with in post.

Old 05 May 2009   #28
realy it is very goot work

Old 05 May 2009   #29
nice, but i love the original turok and the game, this one doesn't seem to native.

Old 05 May 2009   #30
great model guy. also 5 stars!!

congratz!!

Thread Closed share thread