Jungle, Martin Huisman (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2009
Jungle, Martin Huisman (3D)

Title: Jungle
Name: Martin Huisman
Software:

Rendered in Terragen 2
Terrain is entirely procedural.

Image contains around 1 million grass-instances and 0.5 million trees of several different species.

A 1920x1080px version can be found here:

Thanks for stopping by again, crits, comments etc. are always welcome.

Martin

04 April 2009
now thats what I call CG environment! 5 star work.
just a little question...is fog particles or image?

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by Stringas2000: now thats what I call CG environment! 5 star work.
just a little question...is fog particles or image?

Thanks!

The clouds are 3D volumetric, so yes...particles more or less.
All elements, except for models, are procedural.

Martin

04 April 2009
again, great work on this piece..

Bascially everything is pretty good, but I just wish the fog can be better, especially on its transparency setting... a fog that thick shouldn't be that transparent in my opinion

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by edgalor: again, great work on this piece..

Bascially everything is pretty good, but I just wish the fog can be better, especially on its transparency setting... a fog that thick shouldn't be that transparent in my opinion

Thanks for your comment.

The cloud-pattern is fractal-based and controlling a very uniform density isn't very easy at this rather small scale.

I think the density (transparency you call it) isn't that bad, but I can imagine your thoughts about it. I think water-vapor, which fog actually is, could look very well like this.
Maybe it's just a matter of taste.

Martin

04 April 2009
hey man. very impressive job.
Image is very clear and detailed. but if there are clouds then the clouds are gray, should have been a little more bright and with increased step details. and if its fog than a little blue color could have added nice touch.

And u r right. mostly it depends on personal taste.

regards,
Shahab.

Last edited by shahabsy : 04 April 2009 at 02:22 PM.

04 April 2009
Thumbs up

As I said over at the Planetside Forums: Awesome work.

- Terje

Last edited by RoyalT : 04 April 2009 at 02:50 PM.

04 April 2009
very cool man!

04 April 2009
Amazing... great render

Amazing... great render

04 April 2009
Hi!
Real eye-catcher!
What's the render time of something like this, esspecially in 1920x1080px??
Im working on a short animation where I need lots of green and exotic woods and what not.

04 April 2009
Thank you all

@AIR:

This scene is all but optimized for animation. Therefore this image took 19 hours to render.
Especially the quality settings contribute to the rather long rendertime. However, significant improvements have been made and can be expected in the future.

My estimation for an animation of something like this @ 1920x1080px under optimised conditions would be around 7-8 hours / frame on a quadcore-workstation.
If you're really interested to know I can try to find out.

Martin

04 April 2009
Quote: The clouds are 3D volumetric, so yes...particles more or less.

Volumetric materials and particles aren't remotely the same thing.

But as cold as it sounds for me to say that, this is easily the best foliage-related Terragen image I've ever seen! Amazing work. Looks far better than Vue or (sigh) Bryce, for example, and it's an amazing feat you've accomplished here. I could never push a scene like that through Maya, for example, and I daresay nobody else could either.

I'd put off Terragen for years due to its lack of foliage / control, but perhaps it's "ready" now? Other than the impossible animation renders, it's amazing to behold and thank you very much for sharing! I'm off to check out Terragen's instancing and see how it works...

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Volumetric materials and particles aren't remotely the same thing.

But as cold as it sounds for me to say that, this is easily the best foliage-related Terragen image I've ever seen! Amazing work. Looks far better than Vue or (sigh) Bryce, for example, and it's an amazing feat you've accomplished here. I could never push a scene like that through Maya, for example, and I daresay nobody else could either.

I'd put off Terragen for years due to its lack of foliage / control, but perhaps it's "ready" now? Other than the impossible animation renders, it's amazing to behold and thank you very much for sharing! I'm off to check out Terragen's instancing and see how it works...

Thanks for your kind comment

I know partices aren't remotely the same like volumetrics

Terragen is in the latest stage of development for final release. I know that sounds familiar but the Staff told it's finally really coming
If you're going to check Terragen, which you should really do! then I'd advice you to visit the user-board.
You can find lots more impressive work there and especially a tremendous amount of resources for learning and using Terragen 2 and many other stuff, altogether with a very helpful userbase. Me included

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Martin

04 April 2009
This may not be the place...

...and I'm off to check out the Terragen user boards as you suggested, but my main concern is stability. Do you find Terragen to be stable at this point? Did it crash often while you were creating this scene?

Vue, for example, is so unstable that it's unusable, and certainly not "production-ready" by any means. I'd really like an alternative to Vue for outside landscape scenes, since most of my "artwork" is of that nature, but TG1 didn't cut it. Thanks for sharing again, this gives me some hope still, and perhaps all those unfinished scenes I've been working on in Maya & Vue may still someday be finished! I'd gladly switch to Terragen (even though for years I called it "Barrengen" in a heartbeat for the sake of stability alone, not to mention beautiful renders like this one.

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: ...and I'm off to check out the Terragen user boards as you suggested, but my main concern is stability. Do you find Terragen to be stable at this point? Did it crash often while you were creating this scene?

Vue, for example, is so unstable that it's unusable, and certainly not "production-ready" by any means. I'd really like an alternative to Vue for outside landscape scenes, since most of my "artwork" is of that nature, but TG1 didn't cut it. Thanks for sharing again, this gives me some hope still, and perhaps all those unfinished scenes I've been working on in Maya & Vue may still someday be finished! I'd gladly switch to Terragen (even though for years I called it "Barrengen" in a heartbeat for the sake of stability alone, not to mention beautiful renders like this one.

Yes, previous versions were sometimes very unstable. Unlike Vue Terragen's nature isn't very unstable, but if you use some wrong settings you might get in trouble.
So that's a matter of knowledge and experience you'll certainly find at the board.

As long as you set things up correctly, especially memory-wise, TG is VERY stable and capable of long sessions without getting sluggish as well as rendering for many many hours.
Some users render 24/7 without restarting.

This image took 19 hours at very high settings. Way too high for animation because much detail will be lost due to movement of camera / motion blur.

Martin

Thread Closed share thread