Open Green, Andrius Balciunas (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Open Green, Andrius Balciunas (3D)

Title: Open Green
Name: Andrius Balciunas
Software: 3ds max, mental ray, Photoshop, ZBrush

Hello everyone,

This is my latest work I've been working for sometime.

This is probably the first time I made an image starting with color scheme. I saw a photo where a green leaf is put on human arm and I thought that those two colors suit each other so great. So that was basically enough for me to inspire me on this.

This is no one particular. I've used reference of Adriana Karembeu, but I didn't want to make her.

Made with 3dsmax, with the little help of zbrush. Textures are hand painted, ornaments made using various patterns kaleidoscoping them, editing and so on. Hair, eyebrows and eyelashes made using ornatrix. Cloth is simulated.

Don't know what else to say... hope you’ll like it.

Cheers

Here are some close-ups:

08 August 2008
astounding elegance

The elegance of your work continues to astound. Well done!
Cate

08 August 2008
graet work 4 stars

08 August 2008
Excellent image, and great colour scheme. It''s funny, the first thing I thought of was "I really like the good use of green and gold/yellow colours in this image"... then I read that it was the first thing you started with, I guess it shows!

08 August 2008
-wonderful model, her skin tone is well done and great job on the texturing..

08 August 2008
Front page. 5*

08 August 2008
Your fabric textures are stunning! Actually, the whole thing is: great pose, expression, and lighting. Two very minor complaints: the chain that has the green orb (which is fantastically imagined!) doesn't quite look like it sits on her neck heavily enough—I'd expect the chain to very slightly to cut into her neck with the weight of the orb; and the render has some problems with color shifting on the metals (mostly visible in the close-ups). Off-hand, I'd guess you're aliasing settings are a bit off, or that it needs to be rendered at a a higher bit rate, and then brought down in Photoshop afterwards. But those are quibbles: this goes straight into my desktop rotation.

08 August 2008
Great pose.

Very nicely done with the texturing and lighting .

definitely gallery worthy

08 August 2008
reHi Glenn, how are you mate? Thanks I always get technical and artistical inspration from your characters.

Sauron, grantmoore3d, DarkLimit, Brasil, Kenrick-Wu: thank you!

DizzyJ: Thanks, you are probably talking about chromatic aberration which I did intentionally.

here is the wire

Last edited by CryingHorn : 10 October 2008 at 08:49 PM.

08 August 2008
Wow this is great! i love the fabrics

08 August 2008
Wow. That fabric still has me completely awed. It's the most tactile CGI think I think I've ever seen.

I don't understand the chromatic aberration, though. What lead you there? I'd expect that with glass/gems, but not with metal. I just did a test by putting a chrome pen into some intense sun; I got strong (monochromatic) caustics, but no color fringe. Is that an effect seen in photography (or with digital cameras exposing the limits of their signal processing)? Or was it a stylistic decision?

Would you mind sharing how you went about making the fabric texture? The more I look at it, the more amazed I am. You appear to have gotten the way thread is a series of straight lines down perfectly, almost like you stitched your details on, rather than painted a UV map.

Last edited by DizzyJ : 08 August 2008 at 04:56 PM.

08 August 2008
Absolutely astounding image. It would be a good photo but as a 3d picture is one of the best I have seen . Seven stars - sorry five is the limit

08 August 2008
Great work! I love the pose.

08 August 2008
Cool

this is amazing

she looks sentual and seductive

very nice touch
i cant wait to see what you have in store for us next

08 August 2008
wooow , creazy modeling , your modeling is superb
she is beautiful , really high detail congratulant
10 star bravo