Sweet French pastry, Bertrand Benoit (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2008
Sweet French pastry, Bertrand Benoit (3D)

Title: Sweet French pastry
Name: Bertrand Benoit
Software: Blender

This was an attempt at doing photorealistic food using Blender as modeller and Indigo as renderer. I tried to use the latest Indigo features, such as displacement, and to get some inspiration from modern food photography.
As always very anxious for your comments.

07 July 2008
I have seen those strawbaries in some recent work here, maybe yours

I didnt know that blender is developing so fast, great render, at first we could think it is maxwell.

Bravo
5* from me

07 July 2008
nice and sweet renders bravo

07 July 2008
Thanks a lot. Yes, I've always been impressed by the food renders on Maxwell. But this was actually more inspired by several food photography blogs I visited while doing the piece - mainly in terms of lighting and composition.

07 July 2008
-Great looking food looks very real..

07 July 2008
hmmmmmmmm

07 July 2008
Very very realistic scene. Nice light too.

07 July 2008
Hi Bertrand,

Great modeling and texturing. The displacement from last indigo version is very subtle and assuming it is used on the paste, the effect is great. Light is wonderful as well as the dof. On the upper right image, the lemon seems a bit flat, but it's a very minor crit compared to the high level quality of this image. Congrats.

07 July 2008
wow, very nice work, looks tasty

07 July 2008
The chocolat one is absolutely white at the top, I think the reflection of chocolate can't be white completely like yours is.

I suppose every strawberry is a photo of a real one. I am not sure if the entire cake is a photo or if the "liquid" bathing the strawberries is a indigo material or what. Some wires would help to decide.

The lighting except in some areas (like the chocolate) is great.

And it is Blender. This year I can feel Autodesk shaking! Many characteristics I ask Max to have are already present in Blender, time to fly I suppose.

07 July 2008
Thumbs up

The Raconteurs sing in Yellow sun: "You making me hungry.." that's all what I can say! Awesome work...as usually ;-) 5*

*if you really going to change 3dsoft...please...give support to inland mark C4D *

Last edited by MOTRcz : 07 July 2008 at 05:37 PM.

07 July 2008
Wow, that looks so tasty and very realistic

A few nit picks:
The chocolate one looks very flat on the edges. The limes look a tad too uniformly shiny. I think the juicy parts should probably have a brighter highlight than the rind.

Strawberries look so good

rockstarkate.com

07 July 2008
Thanks a lot, friends. Haven't had so much feed-back here in a long time. It's much, much appreciated.

enricocerica: Hey Mate! How are things? Thx for dropping by. Yes, there is displacement here, mainly on the crusts and the strawberries. I agree about the lemon. It's a bit anticlimatic since it's one of the bits that gave me the most work. It actually has three objects (skin, flesh and pulp), each with different material settings and maps, including glossy transparent and SSS. Even individually modelled peeps! It looked ok in the test renders but not so much in real action.

Bao2: Thanks a lot mate. The chocolate is one of the things I noticed once the render was complete. I guess it would have been better with a slightly lower IOR. On the other hand, these grazing angles really do produce very vivid highlights. Especially on dark materials.
I tried to texture the strawberries from photos but it didn't work. Instead, I built what I thought would be an accurate 3D model of strawberry skin and rendered a ZBuffer channel of it in orthographic view. I made this image tileable and used as a displacement map.
Otherwise, pretty much everything here is modelled. I'm attaching a wire so you can see the details.

RockstarKate: Thanks Kate. Yep, lemon is a bit of a sore point. I might just post one of these test renders...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clay2.jpg (86.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Clay.jpg (69.9 KB, 93 views)

07 July 2008
Great work !

Thread Closed share thread