When the laughter stops, Wanja Gerick (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
When the laughter stops, Wanja Gerick (3D)

Title: When the laughter stops
Name: Wanja Gerick
Software: 3ds max, Digital Fusion, mental ray, Photoshop, VRay, ZBrush

This is my attempt to show a sad clown. I had the idea in my head for quite a while, and finally managed to finish it.

I used basic poly modeling in max and then exported my mesh to Mudbox to add the basic details I needed. I imported a high rez version back in max, optimized it and used Polyboost to rebuild the geometry.
Then I used DeepUV for my UVs and started modeling in ZBrush to create normal and cavity maps.
I used photoshop for all my textures.
The head was rendered using the Fast SSS - material of mental ray. The rest was rendered with VRay.
HairFX was used for the hair.

I would be happy about any crits and comments. I could really need a fresh look on the image.
Thanks!

high rez version: http://www.derwanja.de/wtls_big_CC.jpg

02 February 2008
HI Wanja! I gived you a 4*.... but I really don't know how work the rating system since I don't see the update of your rating... anyway very good job!

02 February 2008
wow , man this is freaking awesome !! , i love it great expression , 5 stars

02 February 2008
I love it!

I love the character. That's great. The personality of the clown is so there. It made me laugh histerically and I don't know why, maybe that's because he's a clown. I kind of feel guilty about laughing because he looks like he's contemplating suicide

Technically, I don't know anything about the 3d (here to learn) but it looks awesome.

I say 5 stars.

02 February 2008
thats good ! like that

02 February 2008
very nice character vith good mood cool work

02 February 2008
Great work. Awsome modeling and lighting. I was thinking in my sick twisted way. Wouldn't it be cool if you had the sad clown with a real gun in his mouth and had just fired it. So you have a bit of blood and bone and brains coming out the other side in motion of course. It would be a new twist on clowns. Any good job dude.

02 February 2008
U have captured the mood..excellent work
4 stars ****

Modern bedroom

Bench seating
Kitchen

02 February 2008
Looks great. The only improvement I would make are to his clothes. They look a little too shiny for cloth material. Take the shine out of them and the picture would appear much more life-like. Even if you don't notice it right away. The eyes & mind see this and automatically tell the brain that something is off and that it is a 3D image. Don't get me wrong, the piece is great, but it could be better. Keep up the good work!

02 February 2008
Thanks to everyone for their comments! I really appreciate it.

@marcomaxbonaria: Thanks for your advice. I will think about it.

@arrow614: Thanks for your tip. I was aware of the extreme shininess, but I thought it would add to the mood. Anyway, here is a not-that-shiny version. Hope you like it!

Here is a wire, if someone is interested:

And finally a version without color correction:

Thanks again!

02 February 2008
very touching

great image !

I feel sorry for this poor guy and I hope he put that gun away in the end

My Website

02 February 2008

Quote: Wouldn't it be cool if you had the sad clown with a real gun in his mouth and had just fired it

Building on that, working the little "bang" tag that comes out of the barrel on a gag pistol into the scene could add a comedic touch if done right.
Albeit, a dark and morbid comedic element, which is even better still.

It's really a great image as it is though.
Great work.
5*****

02 February 2008
Seriously gorgeous work

02 February 2008
great image and mood.
Very interesting idea because this goes against the conventional idea of that character.

02 February 2008
Nice character,i love your idea...

Thread Closed share thread