DINOSAUR, Damir G. Martin (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2008   #61
Freakin sick WIP as well. Can I ask what the matCap materials are and how they help the overall look. Did these come from zbrush? In other words, was the texturing and color all done in photoshop?

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2008 at 07:07 PM.

Old 01 January 2008   #62
Thumbs up Svaka cast

Svaka ti cast majstore, odlican sculpt. Zanimam me kolike su ti size mape i da li si imao posebne alpha brushes za scales ili si to sam skulptirao?

Old 01 January 2008   #63
TheRazorsEdge_thx friend.

Pipoum_yes, hahahaha, it would make excellent cover for the croatian news.
"Dinosaur attack on Sljeme"

Qualize_Hi, thx man, teeth vary, from species to species, this one could have bigger, but I liked small ones turned out,It's subjectiveness, they dont look so dangerous, yet, if you imagine the bite from such jaw, I guess they would cut flash right off, Also, Carnotaur was middle weight champ, He probably didn't hunt bigger then it's size.But theese are all guesses.

Blaschke_thx, dont mention it. If it helps understand how to get good result, it met it's purpose .

vasishtr_As I look at the image, I see now that there are few things that could have been better.Thx for input man, and if you'd like to make a Dino, Im happy I've managed to pass some of "passion" for dinosaurs to other, it's rewarding to me, thank you.

SONIC-X_thank you to for showing interest, that makes me wanna do more, I guess we are in a circle of some sort.

wreath_thank you.

MrPositive_Hi friend.
Ok, for the matCaps, you might wanna visit: MATCAPS
Also, you can try they'r search engine, to find some more info,
But in short, Matcap is feature in Zbrush that allows users to create custom based shaders built upon image.expl. if you have chess figure photo, and you want to apply exactly same material property's to your chess figure built in zbrush, you will use MaterialCapture tool on that photo to get it done.I guess I gave atleest halfway correct definition.

So to answer your question, Half of the job was done in zbrush, that would be those 5 matcaps,that gave somewhat base color, and other, paintover, blend, texture ,final color determination, was done in photoshop.

M-4_Hvala stari. U ovom slučaju nisam koristio mape niti uw texturu, koju model inače ima, a koje su 4098 px sa 4098 px velike.
A sve ljuske i kvrge su ručni rad, Paška čipka moj prijatelju , sjedi i udri.
Model ima 9,500 000 poly-a.Thx za post.

Thx everybody, Im glad if liked WIP.

Old 01 January 2008   #64
Hvala na odgovoru zemljak, rucni rad se ipak vise cijeni

Old 01 January 2008   #65
Yes this is fantastic!

Excellent choice of colors.
Lends realism via adaptation of the organism.
The decision to flip the image was the icing on the cake.
It doesn't look right otherwise.

I too dislike the idea of these amazing creatures being cold blooded barely autonomous relics.

Old 01 January 2008   #66
Quote: Ok, for the matCaps, you might wanna visit: MATCAPS
Also, you can try they'r search engine, to find some more info,
But in short, Matcap is feature in Zbrush that allows users to create custom based shaders built upon image.expl. if you have chess figure photo, and you want to apply exactly same material property's to your chess figure built in zbrush, you will use MaterialCapture tool on that photo to get it done.I guess I gave atleest halfway correct definition.

So to answer your question, Half of the job was done in zbrush, that would be those 5 matcaps,that gave somewhat base color, and other, paintover, blend, texture ,final color determination, was done in photoshop.

I had no idea Zbrush had such an amazing feature like that.
Man, WTF is up with the ZB3 Mac version!?

I'm so sick of waiting for it.
I want to torture someone from Pixologic!

Then, there's every possibility that they will only release an intel version.
So then I'll have to buy a new machine.

I want to release this dino in Pixologics headquarters.

Old 01 January 2008   #67
Nothing to add, really...just great! As a fellow dino fanatic, it's nice to see someone else that shares the passion.

Everyone makes fun of T. rex arms, but some of these abelisaurs had short AND inflexible arms.

Anyway, hope to see more in the future...

Old 01 January 2008   #68
Be damned man ;D I am working on a dinosaur but never can I compete with that, awesome job!

Old 01 January 2008   #69
Great scene, I especially like the texturing and lighting.
Your walkthrough was especially enlighting and helpful - I'll try using some of these great techniques in my next work, making light rays, wet skin and coloring like that.

Old 01 January 2008   #70
Very nice work.
I really like it, although I believe you exaggerated with the scales and textures. It looks a bit like a DOOM creature and less like a Carnotaurus, and I liked dinosaurs since I was 10, so I know a bit how they look like (and I remember a lot of those extremely long names of them ).

Old 01 January 2008   #71
Wow........!!

Old 01 January 2008   #72
M-4_nema problema, uvjek....

Dtox_thx man,, I hear your pain " Man, WTF is up with the ZB3 Mac version!?"
"I want to release this dino in Pixologics headquarters."
You are mercyless.

bobzilla_Hi man,, glad to here from you, old friend.thx for kind words, Im also allways excited when I see someone takes his try on paleo art, hope to see something new from you soon.

Shletten_thx

TheCheshireCat_It's nice to hear that wip is helpfull.

Au79_I agree that everyone is entitled to have an opinion, or believes.
I'd like to believe that my Carnotaur is as half as beautyfull or realistic as the real one migth have looked.But no one knows exactly

Thx for droping a line here, cos the front page would't be as half a pleasent expirience without your comments, dear fellow cgartist's and everyone else.

Old 02 February 2008   #73
What strikes me is just how bloody good the head is, just stunning, real, detailed, beautiful. I think the background and body suffer in comparison to the greatness of that head, though they are very nice too.

Old 02 February 2008   #74
Fantastic work, the lighting and comp work was time well spent. Good job AIR.

cf

Old 02 February 2008   #75
WOW, Greg, man,, so glad to have it commented from you, cos I admire your work so much.
Most satysfaction I draw from the head to, and Im aware that body could have been better compared to the head. But the thing is, I have 5 species of dinosaurs, and lots of mate paint job, and animation and riging, the whole project ahead of me, so I couldn't afford my self
more time on this model.If I was going just for one dino,, it would been different.
Anyway, thx so much for commenting, means great deal when coming from person I look up to.

foxco_thank you friend.

Thread Closed share thread