Ford Focus WRC concept, neville dsouza (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #1
Ford Focus WRC concept, neville dsouza (3D)

Title: Ford Focus WRC concept
Name: neville dsouza
Software: 3ds max, mental ray, Photoshop

Well people, here it is ... my project that was dragged for months is finally complete!

Actually, my pal vivek ( vivudude ) gave me that 'push' to finish it at any cost! followed by my other pal atul ( aadravid ) who joined the bandwagon, hehehehe...

both of them already know how lazy i am when it comes to finishing projects like these, most of my other works are all incomplete! ... so i thought, come what may, i must finish this ...

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4130/wirescreenshot3as.jpg

>> The What ...

Ford focus WRC concept, not much of a high tech design, but, i added a few extras here and there to make more appealing. I had to gather a couple of reference photos to see what it actually looks like in reality, the blueprint is kind of an old one, but that helped a lot to get the basic design.

The new 2004 model looks real cool, so i had to make this one a combination of both the old and the new...followed by the crazy color strips...which of course is certainly not there on any of the models till date...

reason ...

i wanted to make this model look absolutely different from the rest.

>> The How ...

< Modeling >

It took at least 8 - 14 months to finish this model, mainly due to my laziness... plus, at one point i completely stopped everything, so after a gap of 4 months, i continued with the modeling process again...

I used subdivision polymodeling ... no nurbs at all! ...

lots of edge extrusions, chamfering, outlining, insets, subdividing etc ...

It was tough, but worth the effort! i was really scared when it came to detaching the different parts of the car, i had to maintain the design 'flow' , i didn't want any blocky sections.

As you can see at the bottom of the pic, the polygon count is a freaked out 2236691 !
My graphic card took a good beating when it came to 505 objects, which is mainly because of the tyres; the nuts, bolts, caliper, disk brakes ( too bad they are not seen much )

The main shell cover of the car has a meshsmooth iteration of 3 !

There were a lot of problems during the modeling process, once the objects started to increase, so did the polygon count, then memory, then viewport display was slowing down, which of course my graphic card wouldnt be able to handle it all, so there was one life saving option... select the group of components that had a higher polygon count and check mark the
[ display as box ] option in the properties dialog...

I also started to 'categorize' the objects using layers ... this helped a great deal while modeling, i can hide completed components whenever i wanted to thereby saving a lot of memory while working on the new sections of the car.... very cool indeed! its just like using layers in photoshop and illustrator ...

< Materials >

The materials used here comprise of standard max shaders and mental ray.
for the outer shell of the model, rubber parts, tyres etc. standard shaders were used, but, for the glass objects like headlights, bulb, rearlights etc. mental ray glass physics phen was used.
As for the texturing, which is obviously the trickiest, painstaking task of all... i used good ol' texporter! very helpful plugin for max!

Now to mask all the decals ( sponsors, numbers, paint strips etc. ) i had to use the blend material. The map channel option was used extensively as well!
Below is a link giving a full description of how to use the blend material and channels to the maximum level!
A plus, even the modeling process is shown here... a Nissan R390 GT ...

http://www.enriconencini.com/tutorials.htm

very informative, but take time to understand it carefully, its worth it!
Another addition to the group is the ' composite map ' ... this too is equally important ...

> i'll update this post soon once i find the link...

< lighting >

The lighting setup used in this project is slightly different :

> Skylight : this light provided the overall Gi

> Free Area light : i specifically used 2 of these lights for ' speculars ' on the model with the diffuse option turned off, this helps when you only want to show that gloss or shine and you don't want the colours to be affected, in other words, washed out!
You will have to play around with the multiplier to check up on the gloss intensity, so... test renderings galore!
I even excluded the ground plane from illumination and shadow casting, plus i turned off cast shadows for headlights, bulbs and rearlights in the properties dialog.

> Lightplanes : these planes were used for the additional illumination and most importantly, reflections.
For this the glow lume shader fit the bill!

< Rendering >

All of you know, i'm a crazy person when it comes to mental ray! love the renderer to the core! maxwell comes a close second!, then V - ray ...
actually, this is just my personal opinion, in the end it all depends on how well you manipulate the renderer to the fullest.

As for the rendering of all the scenes, it was a major disaster! it took at least a week to finish it off!
Since my graphic card konked out... i had to bring my work to the institute and render the images...not to mention regular power cuts from 3:00pm - 6:00pm. But, somehow i managed ... correct me if i'm wrong, but, i think its best to collapse the entire modifier stack to improve rendering speed...

At 800 x 480 for each of the views, it took 4 - 6 hrs ... even more, depending on the camera angle and the materials used.

Also, without the settings for BSP, Map manager and memory limit , max would shut down immediately after hitting the render button! thanks to the high polygon count!

These options were very new to me in the initial stage, so i had to look it up in the reference file to see how i can render scenes with high polygon count.

>> The end ...

Even after experimenting with the settings, still the rendering would take very long. Which left me no other alternative but to render the entire scene in 'regions'

Yup! region rendering it is!

dividing the scene into 2 parts or 2 regions ... i finally got the rendering started!

Thats that!

The rest was the assembly of all the images and few corrections in photoshop...

phew!!

I hope i provided you all with the necessary information... It was both fun and frustrating at the same time...but, worth it all the way!

Till then,

Cheers!!

Old 11 November 2006   #2
nice render, so cool
good work

Old 11 November 2006   #3
I like this work so much... very clean .

Old 11 November 2006   #4
nice car ..... cool reflection

Old 11 November 2006   #5
nice model and perfect render superb work I love focus

Old 11 November 2006   #6
hey! thanx a million u guys! very happy to c u all here!

cheers!

Old 11 November 2006   #7
Hi,

very clean renders and the model looks amazing. And I think that was the longest and the most detailed description of a posted image in a long time :-)

/Patrick

www.patrickeischen.com

Old 11 November 2006   #8
thanx Patrick!
it means a lot seeing everyone's comments :-)

cheers buddy!

Old 11 November 2006   #9
Wooooow.
very nice modeling and rendering.
great job.

Hamed katebi

- -My Blog - -

Old 11 November 2006   #10
Thumbs up cool

Good work! I like

Old 11 November 2006   #11
thanx a million Hamed and Maxima!
really appreciate it!

god bless ya all!

cheers!

Old 11 November 2006   #12
Thumbs up

Nice render and a skilled one modelling!

Congrats!

Jomar Machado
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=409124(Porsche 356)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=355053 (COKE)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=336125 (Snail)

Old 11 November 2006   #13
Nice car,good rending and modelling

Old 11 November 2006   #14
i love it, looks great, very nice rendering and textures

Old 11 November 2006   #15
I really love the model and renders Well done

I also love the way you've explained everything. Nicely done

Shame there arent' any bigger renders though, and some closer shots of detailed parts, i.e the breaks like you mentioned.

Possible maybe to put the cars on blocks in a scene so we can see this?
Xbox 360S
Logitech Z-5500 Front
Logitech Z-5500 Back

Thread Closed share thread