Looie likes worms... Worms don't like Looie..., Robert Mack (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2006   #1
Looie likes worms... Worms don't like Looie..., Robert Mack (3D)

Title: Looie likes worms... Worms don't like Looie...
Name: Robert Mack
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop

This piece is my second attempt at a still in Max... I wanted to create something a little bent and funny but keep a serious edge on all aspects of the presentation of the concept... Looie will no doubt feature in some more shots soon... Hope you like:)

I'd appreciate any criticisms you have on general composition, palette, technique etc as I'm currently focusing to develop my understanding in those areas of the media

Cheers :beer:
Rob

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Old 09 September 2006   #2
i have seen your wip, and it's cool to see this one finished. i have no critics to said.
i like it like it is. good pose and expression, nice subject !

Old 09 September 2006   #3
Funny.The cartooni style is nice.

Old 09 September 2006   #4
Yep - I think you nailed this one real nice. It was a pleasure following and I really hope we'll see more of this little fella in the future. He's not among the brightest in the bunch I'd say - but he's got personality!
Keep em coming

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 09 September 2006   #5
I say it again... gotta Looie...

I like his stupid face, I can almost hear him mumble while he chew... -Looie loves worms, yup! Looie loves worms...

Like your "simple clean, straight forward daddymack-style".. on the objects and the colors...
and looking forward to see more of Looie... even tho he have no fur... haha...

well done bro..

Old 09 September 2006   #6
The expression on his face is great!
lightning and materials could be better...i think more high contrast for this style would be better.

Old 09 September 2006   #7
very funny, i can actually imagine the sound he's making while eating those worms... "mmm-mmm"

Old 09 September 2006   #8
hehe...nice character...
he has a dumb but goodhearted appearance...
(thats no contradiction...no )
and...alas...he doesnŽt know what to do with all his sparetime....
doesnŽt seem to be hungry, just having a little snack...

but just increase the Mesh-/TurboSmooth(SDS) level...
the edges looka little jaggy around his ears...

Old 09 September 2006   #9
Very cool. I love his expression, the eyes and ears especially.

Old 09 September 2006   #10
visionmaster2.. Thank you, I appreciate your appreciation this piece makes me smile every time I look at it, it's great to hear that you like it too...

living_for_cg.. Thanks I'm happy you think he's funny, I hope to develop this style for a year or so...

Gunilla.. Thanks for lending me your brain again Gunners... You helped me push this further than I would've been able to... As for Looie, he's actually an escaped laboratory monkey and has a little brain damage (and a thoroughly distorted view of society... ) I'll be back with more as soon as I can figure out how to get his fist up his nose for the next piece... I've got an interview for a Zbrush teaching position next week and I've got my head tied up putting together a frazy little Zreel atm:bouce:

makaron.. Thanks O' fur queen... Very funny... He's definitely dumb as they come but happy for his simple pleasures... a little like me Thanks for noticing, I'm still trying my little heart out here

Davision.. Thanks mate, I pushed the lighting and materials as far as I could this time 'round... My aim is to do a series and better each piece with the next so I'll add more contrast to my list for the next shot Much appreciated

Miezis.. lol... You made me laugh dude... Cheers, I tried to communicate how dumbly fun he thinks eating worms is and I made many "mmmschlaobmmmsch" sound effects in the mirror while trying to get his face right... Thanks

raijonlu.. Whoah! read right into it and that's exactly what I put into the brief for this... Not hungry, just lokes eating worms... it was all about his personality and experience and your description nails it Good lookin out... I noticed the poly visibility too... I'll make sure the next shot he goes up a division

jdips01.. Thanks I'm glad you dig Looie, he's been a fun little guy to watch evolve and I think he has a very 'telling' face

Thanks for all this support, it's great to hear from you guys who connect with this piece and it motivates me to push the next one even furtherer...

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Old 09 September 2006   #11
looks cool !...

Old 09 September 2006   #12
Hey DaddyMack! You finished it, congrats!!

Really, the result is great. Im glad i could help in any way with it. The modeling, color palette, the composition... very on spot with the cartoony style you choosed. And the enviroment doesnt get in the way. As for my animation, maybe iŽll start a wip soon, iŽll let you know.

C ya

My Youtube Channel

3d Gallery: "Mega Man X"

Old 09 September 2006   #13
thanks shy-guy, it was a pleasure doing business with you Thanks for your insightful input

I look forward to returning serve on your project

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Old 10 October 2006   #14
Hi Rob
I just love this little guy to pieces! a truly distinctive character exuding personality and charm -- More... more.. more

Did a little color pallete from your image - just my 2cs:

EDIT: I tried pushing your primary-based pallete more toward secondary colors, without losing the base pallete you set up too much....

C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg looie2.jpg (60.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Atwooki : 10 October 2006 at 03:39 AM.

Old 11 November 2006   #15
Thanks Chris I'll definitely play with that on his next piece

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Thread Closed share thread