Heritage, Marek Denko (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2006   #1
Heritage, Marek Denko (3D)

Title: Heritage
Name: Marek Denko
Software: 3ds max, Digital Fusion, Photoshop, VRay

Hey guys!
after 2 months of summer time I've finish my next work. I call it "Heritage". I spent on it like 2 months
in the evenings and nights with quite big pauses during the summer (vacation, work etc). I tried to achieve
lighting in the time bit after sunset when intesity of sky is still strong but shadows are no more sharp but soft and diffuse.
Why Nuclear heritage? Don't worry I'm not one of the greenpeace guys :o). I just love the old broken dark atmosphere with a bit of romance inside.
Very first inspiration came from Stalker movie. I think it is one of last takes when whole family is walking by the shore
of the lake with Nuclear powerplant in the distance. My one is quite different and I put a different story into it and now it is
up to you guys to find out. I hope it's clear.

All is done in 3dsmax8 and rendered in Vray. Whole scene is modeled and rendered as geometry.
Rendering this scene took a lot of time, something like 60 hours on my laptop in 2k resolution.
Mostly because it is a very large scene (2km maybe more) with a lot of detailed geometry, displacement, translucency and reflections
so Raytracing is becoming really hell-like slow. I just wanted to have it all in 3d and now I'll try to optimize it for animation with replacing
as many objects as possible with prerendered mattes and maybe in the future I'll produce a short animation.

Portfolio/homepage
NoEmotion

Old 09 September 2006   #2
Thumbs up

Umm....WOW, I'm completely speechless!

Truly your best work ever Marek, you simply nailed it down better this time than ever. This is even better than your last exterior work! Fantastic job on the lighting, it looks brilliant! The vibrant use of colors and composition look amazing, along with outstanding details and texturing...nice water by the way.

This is definitely FRONT PAGE MATERIAL...you need to write a making-of for this This is the best 3D work I've ever witnessed in my entire life!! I don't know what else to say..you're my idol. Keep it up buddy!

www.gary-smith.us

Old 09 September 2006   #3
Excellent render, love the mood, lighting and grade here. Really nice detail in everything. Frontpaged.

Wiro

Old 09 September 2006   #4
Absolutely breathtaking image - everything is simply perfect!

The lighting is expecially well done, as well as the water's reflections and atmosphere in the sky.
I honestly cant recall the last time I saw an environment done this well.
Keep up the amazing work!

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 09 September 2006   #5
Thank you for actually knowing what makes a colour scheme and composition look good!

Old 09 September 2006   #6
Nice atmosphere I like it very good idea. It looks like a Mochovce Camera angle is superb 4*

Old 09 September 2006   #7
Good work Marek!

I think the water is really very nice. You've managed to capture one of the properties of water that I could never quite describe nor understand. What I am speaking of is the effect that certain areas of the water are placid looking, while others are ripply. Do you know what I am talking about? It's really very cool that you've managed to put it in your scene. I think it makes the water look very realistic.

Terence

Old 09 September 2006   #8
Impressive like always, I still watch your demo reel about once a month for inspiration. Did you do the clouds with particles they look very realistic, streaky in some parts, puffy in others, was just curious how you had em done.

Last edited by Kostadamus : 09 September 2006 at 05:30 AM.

Old 09 September 2006   #9
Thumbs up

really beartiful! very like!

Old 09 September 2006   #10
Great work man!

I love the lighting on the water and the sky! Don't see anything to critique very impressive!

Old 09 September 2006   #11
Nice sunset..

you catch the greates momnet of sunset with good feeling.. I love it..

5* from me.

Old 09 September 2006   #12
No suprise 5 stars from me. This is awesome, but awesome is normal for you. I would love to see this envirment get nuked by that UFO you had in your reel. :P

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=379941

Looking For All Artist Available!

Old 09 September 2006   #13
I'm a great fan of your work and love the dark edge and mood that you bring to all of your pieces. This brings to mind turn of the century oil paintings depicting the industrial revolution. Fantastic stuff, thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2006   #14
Thumbs up just great

great as usualy.
i'm waithing for the animated scene...it will be great for shure.

Old 09 September 2006   #15
really impressive work, nice rendering and lighting composition as well. hope to see your animation. well done.

5 stars

Thread Closed share thread