THE RETURN TO ABALAKIN :: PART I, Alexander Preuss (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
Holy Sh*t dude! That is amazing! The scale of the whole thing is breathtaking!
although the houses in the background are kinda boring.. just a bunch of grey boxes...
5 stars!

http://j2dab.blogspot.com/
dekus.carbonmade.com

07 July 2006
Dude, this is awesome. cool stuff.

Only crit i would have is for the buildings on the right side. a bit more detail and variety in the buildings would make it look even cooler (i think).

Keep up the cool work.

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

07 July 2006
Really awsome piece of work! Congrats for finishing it - it really is a great piece of art. Imagine how awsome it would be to live there! Also thanks for the new desktop image.
-Iest

07 July 2006
I like it, increadible, beautiful! (Where are the shopping malls?).

07 July 2006
Its more than a MASTERPIECE.. PERFECT 10stars

07 July 2006
Its about time all those news items and challenge links on the front page made way for some more great artwork like this I was watching your WIP thread quite closely and its pretty incredible how quickly you produced this. I love how you are going to make a series of images based around your ringworld idea (It'd be great for the series to end with the destruction of Abalakin ).

I agree with what people have said about the low detail buildings at the far sides of the world although these are only really apparent in the super high res version. If you are going to tweak it, maybe look at using overhead shots of cities as texture maps and try and seamlessly blend these textures with the 3D geometry as you get near the edge.

Anyhoo -great work, look forward to seeing the next one!

Pete.

Last edited by Pete2003 : 07 July 2006 at 03:09 PM.

07 July 2006
Thumbs up

wow great! no words to say,I love it!!!

07 July 2006
great work!

there's just one thing that I don't understand, by looking at the outside pic the curvature of the city should be the other way round, going downwards... it seems that the city is actually on the ceiling of the tube with the "windows" looking down towards the planet instead to the outer space, and if it actually is upside down I'm not sure it'll work, because the ring should be at a geostationary altitude to revolve with the planet and there is still a bit of gravity up there, not much something like 0,02 g (if the planet is the size of the earth), but enough to make life difficult, of course it's just a pic and doesn't have to be physically accurate, in any case there should be some sort of a gravity generator so that could be constructed in order to work "upsidedown" ...

dunno if I was clear, it' just that putting the 2 pics in relation to the one other puzzled me a bit, nonetheless it's a great work, congrats

07 July 2006
Truly beautiful artwork, i'm glad you wanted to keep expanding on the great idea you already started

07 July 2006
I like the overall composition and mood, but the background houses needs more detail to be convincing.

07 July 2006
Realy nice! This is going on my desktop to inspire me to finish my revisit of an O'Neil (type) colony...

Al

07 July 2006
Home Page...

Once more... CONGRATULATIONS !

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

07 July 2006
Awesome shit man!

no doubt!

07 July 2006
WOOAAAHHHH

what the h#?! ??!!
... FRONT PAGE???!
WW!

THANK YOU

Rebeccak
Megann | Paperclip

www.abalakin.de

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by maxx10: great work!

there's just one thing that I don't understand, by looking at the outside pic the curvature of the city should be the other way round, going downwards... it seems that the city is actually on the ceiling of the tube with the "windows" looking down towards the planet instead to the outer space, and if it actually is upside down I'm not sure it'll work, because the ring should be at a geostationary altitude to revolve with the planet and there is still a bit of gravity up there, not much something like 0,02 g (if the planet is the size of the earth), but enough to make life difficult, of course it's just a pic and doesn't have to be physically accurate, in any case there should be some sort of a gravity generator so that could be constructed in order to work "upsidedown" ...

dunno if I was clear, it' just that putting the 2 pics in relation to the one other puzzled me a bit, nonetheless it's a great work, congrats

THANK YOU!

You are right My first picture from the outside gives the option that windows should be on the top on the city should be bend donwards...

unfortunally when working on the first one two years ago i nevet thought about that i would do an inside version... and during the progress on the new one a lot of people inaugurated that it would make more sense if the city is on the roof. I liked the idea

here is the one shot bevore changing the view:

and so.. going with this new pespective it was needet to change the overall conzept a bit so that both versions can work together

I understand your critique but i hope also you understand the reasons why i changed it...

Have Fun & THX a lot
Alex

www.abalakin.de

Thread Closed share thread