Tokyo Girl, Andrew Hickinbottom (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #46
Frontpage? Whoohoo!

Cheers chaps!

Good comments lamster - agreed - in that 'fruits' book, most of the people in that had clothes that had hideously mismatched styles, colours and had many, many layers and cheapo looking accessories. I was going to go along this route, but simplifying the design and colour scheme made her more appealing and easier to look at. The face was originally going to be similar to round-faced disney characters like mulan and lilo, but it kinda changed as i went along and took in inspiration.
Again, it was all designed on the fly - no sketching cos its not really my forte unfortunately.

Cheers once again

Old 03 March 2006   #47
Awesome character again! I would love to see her in different outfits too, like you could do one is the frilly goth look. -- cant wait to see more renders!

Old 03 March 2006   #48
Andy its the subtly in the style that makes this superior to the previous characters

very cool!

Old 03 March 2006   #49
this is hot as hell!

Old 03 March 2006   #50
Beautiful, as always

Old 03 March 2006   #51
Awesome work! Great character!

Old 03 March 2006   #52
Lightbulb

Nice Job! 5 stars

Old 03 March 2006   #53
wow! I love this one! The style is fantastic. I hope to see an animation with this girl!

Old 03 March 2006   #54
Just really gorgoeus work, Andy. I for one like her even more than the bunny girl (not that I didn't like her.) But this succeeds more in capturing a unique, individual personality, and I really appreciate that... especially the smile. Inspiring work!

-mike

p.s. unless I missed it you never answered an earlier question about whether you used cloth dynamics on her - did you? If so, what do you use for that?

Old 03 March 2006   #55
Originally Posted by djedjex: great work i like all of your character design
can we see wire please ?

i don't understand this. You said you like all of the charater designs that him made..
And it is not a photorealistic work..I really wonder, why you wanna see the wire ???

Old 03 March 2006   #56
More appealing than bunny-girl!?! but what could possibly be more appealing than bunny-girl!?!?

-b

PS: Nice work btw.

Old 03 March 2006   #57
Wow, I love your style, once again. Let's wait and see how long it takes till I see someone pirating THIS design...

Old 03 March 2006   #58
Originally Posted by walrus: Just really gorgoeus work, Andy. I for one like her even more than the bunny girl (not that I didn't like her.) But this succeeds more in capturing a unique, individual personality, and I really appreciate that... especially the smile. Inspiring work!

-mike

p.s. unless I missed it you never answered an earlier question about whether you used cloth dynamics on her - did you? If so, what do you use for that?

The skirt is controlled by 6 nulls positioned around the rim of the skirt base. They are moved and rotated about until the skirt looks ok. Its a bit long winded, but im not familiar with max's cloth dynamics yet, and I didnt really intend to animate this - just use it for poses. For the sitting pose, i had to collapse the skin (or freeze it, whatever term you want to use) and pull around the points til it looked ok.
Maybe one day when i decide to go beyond my usual duties and try animation, i can have a go at animating all of my previous characters! But for now, im ok with the good ol 4-pose character sheet. It does a good job of showing off a characters various moods and attitudes.

Old 03 March 2006   #59
Ey Andy!!

Very nice work again..COOOL!!!

Congrats

Rebe

Dark Phoenix

Subversive Girl Power!!

Old 03 March 2006   #60
Everybody loves some fresh Andy H.
And this is no exception. Great character, and equally great execution!

Thread Closed share thread