Glacier Climbing, Martin Pelletier (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Wonderful LOL i was wondering were the CGtalk Finished Work:Photography forum came from

Great scale, has a fantastic feeling of largeness.

08 August 2005
Thank you for the comment,

Here's a link for a bigger rez version:
http://www.squeezestudio.com/Glacier_Matte_Rez1600.jpg

Originally Posted by Zon Wernor: Really good job Martin !
I wanna see a highres version !
Keep it up !

08 August 2005
You really nailed it Marto. Last year I went ice climbing on a glacier in Chile, and it looked JUST like this. It's actually a bit uncanny how similar your composition is to a couple of places I was. Great work!

p.s. Congrats on using SSS for something other than skin.

08 August 2005
Amazing compositing, seamless blending with the background and climbers, and an excellent sense of scale on the right side of the picture... looks like a detailed landscape viewed from afar, rather than a detailed texture/surface rendered from not so far.

Knowing that there was no photography section, all I could think at first was that it had to be a hyper-realistic matte painting with the climbers done in 3D.

Absolutely flawless. 5 up here. And congrats on front page. You more than earned it.

08 August 2005
Wow, amazing! Ice climbing and Everest adventure stories are some of my favorite thing outside CG life! It is awesome to see someone using that subject, flawless and beautiful!

C'est genial Marto....felicitation! Une question pour toi....Est-ce que tu es alle au Cegep Lionel Groulx par hasard?

08 August 2005
Smile

Originally Posted by MedusasHead: This must be the most realistic render I ever saw. I really try to find any flaw, but no way... If you don´t show wires, I won´t believe it´s 3D Great job.

I stink at 3d-ill admit it, but the back beyond the grid kinda stood out a bit . other then that, the terrain map, lighting, texturing and the climbing dudes were flawless .

08 August 2005
Thumbs up

It's too much real to be 3D
Great work! Like the lighting and texturing!

08 August 2005
I'm stunned. You have mastered the world of 3d. That is a truly beatiful piece of art in itself I might add. 5 stars from me.

08 August 2005
Hey Salut ami du Québec!

Your work is simply awesome, I really like the composition, the angle of view and the shaders! The human is a really nice add, as it's the only part of alive in the scene. I'm getting cold only in viewing this image

08 August 2005
Not much to say about this one. This is just great work. Very inspiring.

08 August 2005
Fantabulous! Well done indeed! Congrats!

08 August 2005
Thumbs up

Photo Realastic image!
i can't imagine!

4 STAR!

08 August 2005
All the critics say " OUI!!! "

Its a very complete image espescially the blending between the image mapped to the sphere and the actual geometry.

I'm very curious about the blowing snow effect you have at the top. Is that using some sort of particle effects work? Or is that an after effect done in photoshop?

Did this require various passes to create such an amazingly realistic look? or did you just hit render and BAM! voila!

I think you probably just sold a couple extra copies of XSI 5 with this image

08 August 2005
Thank you for your comments,

First, the blowing snow could have been done with particles, but since this was only for a still frame it's a painted layer in Photoshop.

second, the glacier layer has been rendered on one layer, there's not much to separate in that image.

Originally Posted by Kahwatikid: All the critics say " OUI!!! "

Its a very complete image espescially the blending between the image mapped to the sphere and the actual geometry.

I'm very curious about the blowing snow effect you have at the top. Is that using some sort of particle effects work? Or is that an after effect done in photoshop?

Did this require various passes to create such an amazingly realistic look? or did you just hit render and BAM! voila!

I think you probably just sold a couple extra copies of XSI 5 with this image

08 August 2005
Wow cool- I'm getting the chills.

Thread Closed share thread