God Of War Characters, Louis Lu (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #61
impressive work!
I like the girl most but the cow...hmm the cow could be my fav. too ^^

Old 08 August 2005   #62
This is the best game art i ever seen amazing work!!

Old 08 August 2005   #63
I'm so happy right now could have the front page plug, thank you very much all for like the game and my works too, I really really appreciate that!! Like I said, God of War was my first PS2 project and I feel really lucky could worked on this great title with a group of talented people.

And I feel bad about can not post any wires or textures at this point, I know you guys are hungry for it but I really can't post it now...so wishing I could work on more my personal works so that 100% no worries when post it in the future.

bijoythomas, I really can't say anything about the project I'm working on right now, it is a top secret...

lostlittleboy & Floyd Bishop, for a ground level creature like skelly they usally gave us about 3-5 days to worked on(1-2 days modeling, half to 1 day packup UVs, the rest of them texturing). For a heavier or more important characters we had 5-10 days for it. Plus we had 1-2 extra polish day for each character at the very end of the project so we didn't in rush when created these characters but a lot of back and forth going on when in the progress...

csDevil, The huge difference between armored and no-armor minotaur boss is because we modeled every bones, musles, even lungs and heart in it, the reason was because the original gameplay needed them. In original gameplay, player could break those chunks peace by peace so we modeled everything. But the gameplay got changed at the end...so we left the geometry like that for final...sounds crazy?

hawkprey, Hey Jay!! Thanks for leaving me messege. Great to hear you again!!

Miguelito, I used one directional light and hdri for lighting these renders. It's about 10% self illuminated on the materails so that could get better result on showing textures.

Neil, we have limited texture memeries on characters. The more textures for characters, the less on levels. that's why we can't use hugh size of textures. Also small texture runs faster than a large texture....hmm...that's what I know. <=)

Old 08 August 2005   #64
very very very cool and inspiring work!
LucasArts

Old 08 August 2005   #65
Originally Posted by louis: Neil, we have limited texture memeries on characters. The more textures for characters, the less on levels. that's why we can't use hugh size of textures. Also small texture runs faster than a large texture....hmm...that's what I know. <=)

Well I mean if you're using upwards of 4+ sheet all those add up in terms of memory would be about the same as just using one. So I didn't think memory was the reason. I figured perhaps loading and unloading them, but wouldn't those be pre-loaded anyway?

Old 08 August 2005   #66
Your characters are beautifull. It looks like a good game. Unfortunately one has to have a lot of free time for gaming, and I don't.
I especially like the design of your women!!

Old 08 August 2005   #67
Great characters!!! I'm planning to do my first low-poly character when I finish my actual project, and this is really inspiring!

Old 08 August 2005   #68
Very nice work on the details especially that they are low res models

Master & Servant

my site

Old 08 August 2005   #69
if their for in game cinemtaics i would have thought that maybe the texture sized could have been upped dramatically? and possibly even the poly count?

Old 08 August 2005   #70
Hey what a cool oppurtunity, the artist from God of War. One of my friends was just saying he thinks it's the best game ever made. I think it's within the top 10, probably one of the best 3 action titles ever made.The art obviously is a big contribution to that. I was really impressed when I saw the screens and saw that it was a PS2 game. Then even more impressed when I saw the game in action. Some of the best animation I've seen in a game as well. Incredibley well done art here. Congrats on a superb game!

Old 08 August 2005   #71
nice characers! great modeling and textures!

Old 08 August 2005   #72
Great!!!

Hey Louis! As always, your work looks great! The minotaur is one of the best bosses in any game.
Can't wait for the next batch!

Old 08 August 2005   #73
Talking

Awesome stuff, congrats!!!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #74
Thank you guys again for the great comments!

Neil, after asked our programmers, I think the reason is because loading speed, but it has difficulty for me to explaining it well...but basic is like...a small texture could be easier/faster scanned before projecting to geometry surface and it's easier to storage to the faster memery section...but they also said it is not 100% right to every situation...so using 256x256 is kind of a balance point between speed and quality...plus, PS2 love small textures...umm.. hope you understand it...

AKDesigns, actually for cinematics models, 1024s were my working size, we used 512s in the game. Because I like how they looked with the 1024s on so I used them when rendered these images . But besides those cinematics models, the rest of the models are showing real in-game ploy counts, textures and texture sizes. Due to the way ps2 and our engine works, poly count was not a big issue to us, they love polys. For a skelly type of creature, 2k -2.5k polys was our target range, anything important than that goes higher poly count.

Old 08 August 2005   #75
Amazing and inspiring work the old man is my fav..
Keep it up

Thread Closed share thread