Goldeneye:ra-miniboss Heads (low Poly), Eoin Colgan (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #61
Talking

Well you make it seem easy. So I am gonna have to go into Max and prove myself wrong

Great work man! You've given me inspiration to try to build my first actual low poly character, if finished, it'll be my first finished character anyways! Agin great work, I loved your work on the punisher!

Old 04 April 2005   #62
King

EOIN YOU ARE THE KING OF CHARACTER MODELING AND AN INSPIRATION TO ALL CHARACTER MODELERS.KEEP THE GOOD WORK UP.I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT COMES NEXT.
THIS GUY IS A PRO

Old 04 April 2005   #63
Bigpet: As Sysop noted, it doesn't have to be square. It just has to be a power of 2 (8,16,32,64,128,256,512..etc.) You just see texture sheets as equal values because the jump is really great between 128 and 256 and keeps getting larger with each incriment.

Old 04 April 2005   #64
Are you painting 1:1 for these 256 textures. I never sure if thats preferable to painting it as a 512 and reducing it.

Old 04 April 2005   #65
Are you painting 1:1 for these 256 textures? I never sure if thats preferable to painting it as a 512 and reducing it. I wonder what the most common approach is. Anyways, nice work.

Old 04 April 2005   #66
I can't belive that works are for low-poly, you are GREAT! amazing work.

Old 04 April 2005   #67
Originally Posted by Neil: Bigpet: As Sysop noted, it doesn't have to be square. It just has to be a power of 2 (8,16,32,64,128,256,512..etc.) You just see texture sheets as equal values because the jump is really great between 128 and 256 and keeps getting larger with each incriment.

hmm ... well I was wrong but you know when you always see square textures for game models it always seems like it's necessary to do it. But it really looks like that's some kind of unwritten rule like when your programming and writing all the constants in capital letters and all the varibles in small letters

Old 04 April 2005   #68
Til?

Very nice work!
Funny enough the first guy resembles very much of the german actor Til Schweiger to me : http://www.tilschweiger.de/ especially around the mouth zone.

;>) Jake

Old 04 April 2005   #69
Originally Posted by Bigpet: hmm ... well I was wrong but you know when you always see square textures for game models it always seems like it's necessary to do it. But it really looks like that's some kind of unwritten rule like when your programming and writing all the constants in capital letters and all the varibles in small letters

Thats because it changed over time. Some time ago we had to use square textures with max 256x256 pixels for PC games. Nowadays its easier.

Originally Posted by jake rupert: Funny enough the first guy resembles very much of the german actor Til Schweiger to me

Didnt he say he used the archetypical german ;-) yeah, Til Schweiger was my first thought too and it fits :-)

Old 04 April 2005   #70
O M G !! I can't believe it !!

Great work !!!

Old 04 April 2005   #71
Quality work as usual Eoin

Old 04 April 2005   #72
Originally Posted by Shimmer: scars, NEVER use scars

This guy is a stone cold warrior for a supreme baddie - wouldn't you expect to see scars? If not what are some examples of facial details that are original?

Old 04 April 2005   #73
Talking

Originally Posted by baggataway: This guy is a stone cold warrior for a supreme baddie - wouldn't you expect to see scars? If not what are some examples of facial details that are original?

Maybe he could stick his tongue out at you making the sound of "nanner nanner booboo!" in a very evil maniacal kind of way?

Old 04 April 2005   #74
Texture size myths

If your engineers tell you that square textures are required, someone needs to get fired. This is such a ridiculously old limitation (DC/PS1/PC99) I'm suprised it even comes up any more.

Xbox1 can do non-square and non-pow2 sized textures already. Non-pow2 has a limitation though, you can't use mirror addressing mode. A lot of artists around here don't even repeat textures much anyway, especially on characters.

The PS2 is the current anchor around the artist neck, it's just not sophisticated enough to do advanced lighting, which is probably why all these textures have lighting painted in.

On next gen hardware (Xbox360, Ps3), anything goes. Start getting used to more than one texture, and not just spec/bump/diffuse. I mean 2 textures combined to make diffuse, and so forth. For example, two-textures are combined with a shader, so get crazy with hypergraphs and shadetrees. Start imagining what can be done with a low rez 'wash' texture and little decals and details splatted on top. While large 2 megabyte textures sounds appealing, I'll bet I can blow it away with a few hundred k, but using multiple maps.
Start to get creative, use grayscale textures but multiplied by a color in the shade tree, use a 'green' channel of a RGB texture to also be a shinyness factor, you'd be suprised what looks good.

Old 04 April 2005   #75
Its about time this got plugged !

Thread Closed share thread