Garkhar- The Orc Warboss, Herbert Lowis (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #16
Thumbs up Yeah

Astonishing work!!
Snap S.r.l. - Rome - ITALY

Old 01 January 2005   #17
wow, just insane!

Old 01 January 2005   #18
wonderful work. reminds me of my teengeek days when i used to paint those ad&d minitaures.love the anatomy and the texturing. and the over all detail. very inspiring.

Old 01 January 2005   #19
Finally I can see this orc! ...and I say WWWOOOOWWW!!!

Old 01 January 2005   #20
is it rigged or was it modeled in that pose?

riggin all those chains and plating would SUCK...but would make any animations amazing.

-KDX-

Old 01 January 2005   #21
Originally Posted by -KDX-: is it rigged or was it modeled in that pose?

riggin all those chains and plating would SUCK...but would make any animations amazing.

-KDX-

yup, he is rigged, the chain and plate also have a bone for each chain. I couldnt weight the leather strap properly yet. But i also made blendhshapes for muscle deformation on the arm and the face, and is animated

Old 01 January 2005   #22
Wow. Am I jealous. Great job Herb. Can't wait to see your creature Borgoth evolve like this one.

Old 01 January 2005   #23
Nice work altogether, especially for someone who's still a student. VFS seems to be a very good school.

However, I'd suggest you to create works that are more original. Orcs have been done to death by now, first by Blizzard's cinematics team and then countless times by all the people on forums like this. Upon seeing such an "everyday" piece, people will not give your work the attention that it deserves.
And no, don't model Spawns, Hellboys or Gollums either

Old 01 January 2005   #24
The model looks very good. Enjoy your time at VFS. I really loved studying there!

Old 01 January 2005   #25
yeah, you have made a fine orc.
all the stuff, details and exaggerated proportions - thats how i like them the most.
and dont listen, there will be never enough orcs made look how many thousend cg humans were made and nobody screams.....

just some things i noticed:
- the skincolour is boring and makes him look more like a toy. skin can be so rich in colour. you can make the brighter areas a bit yellowish, shadowed areas deeper green und paint some red parts in his face and on other parts. maybe take a look at blizzards orcs...with the additional colour your avatar looks far better then this version. you achieved it with coloured light, i guess, but try to make a nice skinshader with this variations.
his teeth could have a better colourtone too, they are too grey imo.
- some clothes and armorparts (especially his kneepad) look very saturated in their darker areas - for skin its good, but not for normal materials, i would say.
- his face is lacking of personality. now he looks more like a sad, old peon with a standard face, not like an strong, experienced warchief, who has fought many wars and knows how to drive his men to fight. maybe a beard, a facial exxpression, a determined look in his face can help.

Old 01 January 2005   #26
Originally Posted by MFTituS: yeah, you have made a fine orc.
all the stuff, details and exaggerated proportions - thats how i like them the most.
and dont listen, there will be never enough orcs made look how many thousend cg humans were made and nobody screams.....

just some things i noticed:
- the skincolour is boring and makes him look more like a toy. skin can be so rich in colour. you can make the brighter areas a bit yellowish, shadowed areas deeper green und paint some red parts in his face and on other parts. maybe take a look at blizzards orcs...with the additional colour your avatar looks far better then this version. you achieved it with coloured light, i guess, but try to make a nice skinshader with this variations.
his teeth could have a better colourtone too, they are too grey imo.
- some clothes and armorparts (especially his kneepad) look very saturated in their darker areas - for skin its good, but not for normal materials, i would say.
- his face is lacking of personality. now he looks more like a sad, old peon with a standard face, not like an strong, experienced warchief, who has fought many wars and knows how to drive his men to fight. maybe a beard, a facial exxpression, a determined look in his face can help.

Thanks for the reply and critique, I will desaturate the armor and maybe crank up the saturation on the skin color for my reel.
The avatar look has no colored light, I think because I added diffusion, it washes away the detail.
I will do more colour correction for sure for the final product

Old 01 January 2005   #27
A good piece of art. Really a good model.

Old 01 January 2005   #28
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh:
However, I'd suggest you to create works that are more original. Orcs have been done to death by now, first by Blizzard's cinematics team and then countless times by all the people on forums like this. Upon seeing such an "everyday" piece, people will not give your work the attention that it deserves.
And no, don't model Spawns, Hellboys or Gollums either

talent will be noticed even if you are creating a well known character be it spiderman or an orc, and theres something to be said for proper execution from concept-->result and he has proven himself .
front page material imo .

Old 01 January 2005   #29
I really like the lighting But seriously. solid work.

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Last edited by Jesse-Irvin : 01 January 2005 at 02:45 AM.

Old 01 January 2005   #30
very nice, the armor it´s great...

Thread Closed share thread