So What..., Peter Sanitra (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
huh?

I don't really see what the big deal is. I mean everyone keeps complimenting him on the 'shirt shader'. This is a photograph with a cg head tacked on. The CG head looks somewhat ok from the front, even with that lighting, but as soon as you look from the side, not only does it look misshapen and weird, but it becomes obvious that the only reason it looked decent in the rendered image was because the image map used was a photo applied as a planar camera projection that was taken fromt he same general direction as his rendering camera.

I don't want to bust anyone's bubble.. but yeah.

11 November 2004
@ Anubis. So? What does that matter, the image is still great. For something to be beautifull it doesn't have to be hard to make. I'm not saying this is easy though.
I agree that the head looks out of proportion from the side, it's too stretched, that should be something to work on. The rest is great.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Anubis: I don't really see what the big deal is. I mean everyone keeps complimenting him on the 'shirt shader'. This is a photograph with a cg head tacked on. The CG head looks somewhat ok from the front, even with that lighting, but as soon as you look from the side, not only does it look misshapen and weird, but it becomes obvious that the only reason it looked decent in the rendered image was because the image map used was a photo applied as a planar camera projection that was taken fromt he same general direction as his rendering camera.

I don't want to bust anyone's bubble.. but yeah.

I would have to agree with Anubis. Image looks OK at first, but on more carefull inspection the image looks like a photo composite without doubt. The head looks good only from the front, and there's that wierd reflection off of the forehead that makes it look annaturaly wet, or oiled, or whatever.

11 November 2004
Have to say I'm surprised that this has made the front page, especially with regard to the fuss that cgtalk has made recently of not replicating a commercial photograph, which it looks very much like this is based on. Yes it is a great image, but would like to see the original photo to compare/contrast...

11 November 2004
dude, he look's like so realistic,
i think that's an amazing work, the shirt're perfect
good job man

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by mattmos: Have to say I'm surprised that this has made the front page, especially with regard to the fuss that cgtalk has made recently of not replicating a commercial photograph, which it looks very much like this is based on. Yes it is a great image, but would like to see the original photo to compare/contrast...
Find the "original photo" yourself and show us, if you want to be listened.

11 November 2004
Talking

Everything photo except amazing sculped head in z.
Look at this =>

If this created in 3d!!??,then head were easy part of this work .

sorry for bad eng.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Shin Chan Pu: Find the "original photo" yourself and show us, if you want to be listened.

Hello? How hard would it be for the original poster to show us a ref photo, as opposed to me spending the next year searching on-line... I'm just asking for some further details, it's like asking for a wire for god's sake...

11 November 2004
Now that it is on the front page, I think it is necessary to say which is CG and which isnt.

11 November 2004
Smile

In my opinion there's not much to argue about. He states quite clearly, "Final composition done in Photoshop." Composition can't mean much else (in this context) than adding a 3d face to a photo background. Also, the working time (7 hours) would be way too short if the whole detailed photorealistic scene was entirely 3d.

But I think the front page plug is deserved, the comping part is well done and I think the face is good too. Sometimes if you don't have much time, you just make a model that works from only one angle or can't be animated. I think that explains the weird stuff in the back of the head or edge loop issues in the mesh.

Nevertheless, the original photo would be nice to post.

11 November 2004
da man

boy is he greasy! =) Good work though.

11 November 2004
Great job! Compositing is good too. His skin looks a bit waxy to me though. Maybe a little less spec would help it go away.

11 November 2004
a Miracle !

Simply A miracle…
Don’t worry about the light .. it looks he is so sweaty and I like the shade on his face.. amazing work.. I like it !!!

11 November 2004
I wonder if this fuss´s giving results!?

And if a reply from "The Starter" would explain!

I would agree whith the fact ( as someone else before me as refer it)
that it doesn´t have to be necessary difficult to do, to increase qualaty or
deserve respect, (or to be front page), thow ( and as others said; and well "spoken")
a posting (of processes) would "desmestify" the hole fuss!

Complety "3D" or not ( like it´s not) it work´s as real.
It fools many (1st impression) as good job it is!
The final result dependes of the main purpose! Or on Cg´s Moral rules!

11 November 2004
i like the effect of the guy's white shirt!

Thread Closed share thread