Fishing Reel, Alex Van Ryzin (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2004   #1
Fishing Reel, Alex Van Ryzin (3D)

Title: Fishing Reel
Name: Alex Van Ryzin
Software: 3ds Max 6

Created in max 6. c and c really needed please tell me what you guys think. i really appreciate the feed back.......thanks.

Old 09 September 2004   #2
as a technical illustration, it looks very very good. Totally professional. Great work! care to share what tools (NURBS, etc) u used?

wrx

Old 09 September 2004   #3
thank you very much. Its polygon modeling all parts started as primitives

Old 09 September 2004   #4
does anyone else have any crits............please tell me what you think.

Old 09 September 2004   #5
I you want more realism, try rendering it with an HDRI and more Antialiasing....
Otherwise, the model seems pretty accurate.

Old 09 September 2004   #6
Wink

thanks ...i am using a hdri but its blurred.

Old 09 September 2004   #7
Looks good..
Here are a few pointers for you to consider.

1. Since this is in the style of technical illustration and information graphics then the image needs to communicate more effectively. The exploded view does not come across as such and maybe should follow the more classical examples (see www.isodraw.com or Kevin Hulsey illustration (excellent work) at www.khulsey.com). It's hard to describe this in words but if you look at any examples it is obvious what I mean. Usually (but not always) they are done in isometric style angle (some thing like 60/30deg or 45/45deg) and in this case would work really well, as well as taking a higher (~45deg) view. The elements should be a bit more spaced out and the screws in the front panel maybe pulled out.

2. Modelling and shaders look good except the blue metallic highlights are a little blown out and going to cyan, bit of a give away of CG. The chrome is good but aluminium need more samples to smooth it out and also spec is blown out a bit.

3. The ligthing. For this style of illustration HDR refs won't really suit. It will make it more "real" yes, but the studio type setup you are already using is much more effective for this type of work. Mainly because it cleanly models the forms and materials of the product. I love studio photos of product, they are stylish and communicative. You generally see these in product advertising. Anyway.. while you have made a good start you use a soft box style instead of the point spot light as your main source. Placing an area light (or simple a large white self-illuminating plane) above and slightly in front of the model will really help here. the plane should be visible in the refelction of the chrome and blue metallic parts to be really effective.

4. The shadow should go and you don't need it. A shadow is usefull when the object by it's nature sits on a surface (cup, car, etc) but this object is not really designed to sit on a surface. If you think a shadow is neccessary then maybe have the object suspended over a ground plane (about 2cm/1") and have the soft box cast a soft shadow over the plane. This can help break up the starkness of a white background.

5. lastly, the smaller complete model could have a rod showing context and attachment method. it could bbe ghosted in and out to avoid showing the whole rod.

I hope this is of some help to you and is the type of C&Cs you were looking for.
Hey also it's nice to see some more products here.

Keep it up..

Old 09 September 2004   #8
thank you very much bmcaff. i completely agree with what you said i will make these changes .i really appreiciate you taking the time to give me these pointers.......thanks again

Old 09 September 2004   #9
No problem, mate!
Hope to see more of your work (also, maybe an update of this one...even if it is a finished peice!!). BTW is it a comercial work or personal??

Old 09 September 2004   #10
gee whiz thats a super model
I think it looks good
I think that if you are going for a technical type cutaway illustratiion
an angle that displays the inside details would be more effective.
I think the shadows need some help. The item does not quite feel grounded. The top left shadow looks better to me. The darker blue of the reel seems to be going gray and unsaturated not sure why.

Old 09 September 2004   #11
I created this for learning purposes. After i make some changes i will post an update. I visited your website and u have some very impressive stuff . ....thanks again for your input....ill be looking forward to seeing some more of your work on this forum.

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread