Modeling & Texturing Demoreel, Vancouver Film School (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Modeling & Texturing Demoreel, Vancouver Film School (3D)

Title: Modeling & Texturing Demoreel
Name: Vancouver Film School
Software: Softimage Xsi, Adobe Photoshop

Hi Everyone. I recently graduated from Vancouver Film School. This is what I've been upto for the last 6 months. Hope you like it, critiques and feedback appreciated. Check out the WIP's for hi-res images if you dont want to download the movie.

Demoreel Hi-Res(28.1 MB,Quicktime)

Demoreel Lo-Res(14.1 MB, Quicktime)

If someone can give me a mirror I will appreciate it. Thanks for looking and thanks to all CGtalkers who helped me in the creation of this demoreel in the WIP forums!

09 September 2004
hey guys, just a reminder, you'll have to right click and save target as!

09 September 2004
well first off, Congradulations dude. Its been cool watching you learn and home your skills for the last 6 months to become the strong 3d artist you are now, you should be proud, you worked harded than most, and deserve what you have achived. I know you are in scholarship right now and I have a few comments.
-why did you open with your character in black and white? you put all that attention into his textures, blow them away with your animation and textures at the same time.
-I think the witchs need their background to finish it, or something for depth and scale.
-Hair on the hammer guy moves too much in the end.

good stuff, you got 2 more months down there to make it great stuff, and I'm sure you will.

09 September 2004
hey himanshu,
good to see that you posted your reel , you should encourage your clasmates to do the same, anyways very good work man , i hadnt seen some of this stuff before , your reel had a nice mix of different thing animation/modeling/texturing/env. and you did it all well so congrats on getting the extension , cant wait to see what you will do with this .
anyways see you at school .

09 September 2004
Good job!

09 September 2004
Really good! I liked it.

Only one thing that bothers me. The opening shot with the rotating head. The left ear really bugs me... as it turns to see the back of the head... the ear doesn't look like its attached to the head at all.

Otherwise, excellent.
XenaTrek

09 September 2004
Nice work buddy, the textures are amazing. Love the whole thing... keep it up... good luck.

Armored Vehicle
Character : Warcraft orc
My Modeling reel
Character : Robot

09 September 2004
It looks like you did well in more than one field at your school. The lowpoly was very good as well as your texturing (de portrait I personally felt missed personality or maybe more defined chararistics), but I was especially suprised by the last scene and the lighting involved.

"Creativity is found in Unlikely places"

09 September 2004
well....i want to see more of that environment..that would be sweet....and more animation on the face..that was cool in the beginnng....your textures are phat....and you're good a geometry too..so all in all..no probs getting a job somewhere.....gl and just ya..way to go man...

09 September 2004
cool, i liked the shader

09 September 2004
Thumbs up

Human Shoe! err.. Himanshu!
Fantabulous job on the demo. And congratulations on scholarship.
You are one of the few special 3D artists who have a knack for
everything, I'm surprised you didn't go into VFX, you would've
kicked serious ass. *woohoo* Keep it up, and make this piece
EXCELLENT.

Much respect,
teSSa 3D46

09 September 2004
Hey FONZ!

Sorry for the late reply, great stuff man! I really think that scale skin on the middle witch doesn't go with the style of the character but in any case you did a wonderful job depicting te 2d art, game model works well and the models are pretty good!
Good luck on your new career!

Harry Mukhopadhyay
Visual Effects Artist

http://www.hyndra.com

... because reality never suffices...

09 September 2004
Fonz,

Overall a very nice reel, I loved that you included subtle animations like the eye twitches, as well as the hammer throw, very nice. You shouldn't have a difficult time finding work when you finish scholarship. I think you're treating your set like an afterthought, if you're going to do anymore work on it, I'd suggest you give it a little more time on your reel.

Try to get some animations on the witches too, they're just screaming to be animated, I'd open your reel with them, sipping on tea and laughing, a nice little push in, with particle steam drifting through the frame. I'd probably have organized your reel a different way, starting with the witches, then the low poly, then the head, then the set.

Anyway, nice stuff man, how's it feel to be sorta done?

-Kol.

09 September 2004
Kol - Thanks for your comments, always good to hear your opinion.
About animating the witches, believe it or not, thats exactly what I had mentioned in my scholarship proposal. The animation, the steam particles, everything! I agree the set needs more work. I guess I feel relieved now that I'm sorta done, I'm organising stuff right now to send to companies and I'll resume work on my project in a couple of days.

Hyndra7 - The middle witch eh?? Yeah thats the one I've got a lot of mixed opinions on. Personally I like it, I've wanted to give all 3 a different look. But there are quite a few people who think it goes well the rest. Guess its an artistic thing. Thanks for your words!

Tessa - thats very flattering. i want to see you post your animation soon!

Gene - good points you've made there. All the mentors loved the black and white head, they thought it looked more real, therefore I started with that. agree with the rest of your comments though. Thanks!

Xenatrek - TY. I shall fix the ear for sure. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who checked out my reel. Hope I get more comments from you CGtalkers!

09 September 2004
nice texturing skills. i actually like the black and white version of the face.. makes him look real. dunno why. you have a good sense of taking 2d art and making it into 3d.. a good trait of a modeller. you still have 2 months? wow! i thought you're done! get some cool music for the reel.

-nick

CGtalk Finished Animation Thread
http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223266

Thread Closed share thread