CGTalk > Gallery > Featured 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-31-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Dangle (one Of Organic Abstract Series), Christiaan (3D)

Title: Dangle (one Of Organic Abstract Series)
Name: Christiaan
Software: Cinema 4d

I've been working on a set of organic looking abstract pieces in Cinema 4D, this is one of them.
I hope you enjoy it.

(btw...for any c4d users who are interested I used a new plugin available for Cinema 4D, called Paranormal 4D which includes a furry shader which works like a coloured dirt shader and something like chanlum. I also used arntt's light shader to help give the impression of a dust layer settled on the furry surface...shows in the transition line).

Open to any crits and suggestions...or questions just fire away.
cheers
Christiaan

Henry Moore

Old 09-01-2004, 02:46 AM   #2
vlad74
Expert
portfolio
Vladimir Venkov
freelancer
London, United Kingdom

I love the colours. Very cool shader.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad74
I love the colours. Very cool shader.

cheers...glad you like it...
btw...love the 3rd image down on your 3d section of your site...class(loads of atmosphere to it and nice an unusual...makes a refreshing change)
are you going to finish the tree man pic?

Henry Moore

Old 09-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
Walx
scallywag

Alex Brisson
illustrator
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Walx Send a message via Yahoo to Walx
hey fling

don't know where you get your inspiration for your stranges flowers. hehe

This one look cool, I can see many forms in it, and that is what is great with abstract stuff.

The thing I like less is the background. that feel easy compared to the center piece. And the center piece is like floating flat in the middle of it.

I like it better than your other one (the one that didn't make the hosted gallery, we know about why now huh?), but your other one had more depth in it and perspective, something I feel is missing in this one. maybe because of the angle we see the 'thing'.

Maybe the image is too small to see it, but I don't see that fur shader effect you talk about.

anyway nice work. I think it will be a nice serie when you have more!

keep going it's nice to see people do something different and abstract with 3D for a change.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.

hah hah...to funny..thanks bud.
well i guess this one was approved...(no comment)
i'm glad you can see many things or looks to it...was definitely the intension...always try to do this..but can be pretty difficult to do...sometimes it works other times not.
you're spot on with the flat look to the background...i did some post work on it..and totally messed with the background depth...i'm going to do a big print so i'll re-render with it anyways..and not mess it up...that whole left side was affected...i had reservations at the time..but now you mentioned it...i know i have to fix it there...in original it has a more atmospheric appearance like the other..replicating under water volumetric look to it.

as to furry part...the size doesn't help...but essentially...if you've used chanlum...it is used to do things like a peach fuzz on a surface...well i used the furry shader to do something similar...not really hairy...just a light looking fuzz with a dusty appearance settling on the fuzz...well that was the idea at least...definitely going for subtle appearance though.

thanks for comments/crits bud...appreciate it...its all good

Henry Moore

Old 09-01-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Walx
scallywag

Alex Brisson
illustrator
Montreal, Canada

yeah I used chanlum on a freelance job last year to emulate a velvet look. dismiss the question then that was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.

if you don't have paranormal you could use dirt shader or dirtynuts if you've an older version of c4d. i used furry in alpha channel also...and incombination with a number of other stuff though..was testing furry at the time..so worked to use on this piece.

Henry Moore

Old 09-02-2004, 06:22 AM   #8
Walx
scallywag

Alex Brisson
illustrator
Montreal, Canada

I have 8.5, I actually downloaded the demo of paranormal but never took the time to try it..I'm mostly into modelling these days..sometimes I build a scene with some elements to see how it would go, but I think if you read my posts in my thread last week you know that already...hehe

I don't know, but I tend more to try doing something with what I have already than having to buy another plug-in. At least I try to find free ones that do mostly the same as expensive commercials ones. My exception in cinema had been that I bought Motion Builder for CA.. But I must say that if I had the money I would buy a version of storm tracer. I should say I will one day...

Does paranormal is worth it? I can't seem to see any real difference from the free chanlum plug...although chanlum was a pain in speed back then on a g4 666mhz. Of course I have a better machine now, a custom built pc Didn't had to try that again on a project though. but from what I see they seem to do pretty much the same.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.

well paranormal is not just about furry..it has a parralax effect shader (bump map displacement of texture not polys)..and a normal map shader..and densimator..kinda proximal hybrid...so its about many more things than just furry. no documentation for it though and not for everyone..would you need it? dunno.
i think for my image...i could have done similar with dirt and chanlum..but i also used a arntt light shader which you can't do in cinema...however there are often workarounds and other ways to do things always...thinks like ditools/dpack come with coffee shaders so you could do your own i guess (i couldn't but if you were inclined i guess you could)..you see i often use arntts translucency shader of inbuilt SSS and alternative to dirt..just seems faster...i guess its what gets you the look you want rather than being to tied down with this or that shader or plugin..can you do what you want with core or not? plugins always involve additional cost at the end of the day. ..

Henry Moore

Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
Walx
scallywag

Alex Brisson
illustrator
Montreal, Canada

hmm..bump map displacement sound cool I might install the demo and give it a try just for that finally.

thanks for the tip dude

now I'm gonna leave the space for comment on your work instead of chatting about a plug

Old 09-18-2004, 12:11 PM   #11
Siddhy
Frequenter

now that's beautiful, fling. very unusual and therefore very pleasing
i like it the way it is, so no crits

cheers,
sid

p.s.: note to myself: visit the other forums, too

Old 09-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #12
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.

thanks bud...glad you like....also one of mine in focussed critique you've probably seen before..any crits on that also welcome...if you feel like visiting another forum...heh heh.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=165800

laters

Henry Moore

Old 10-23-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
Fat3
Pupil

Send a message via ICQ to Fat3
hey this looks pretty kewl. first i thougt it'd be kinda painting coloured in photoshop

Old 10-25-2004, 06:07 PM   #14
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.

thanks appreciate it...there is very little postwork at all...and all 3d...
still not had chance to take this to the printers!...will do it this week i think...heh heh.

Henry Moore

Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread