Kneel - Silent Hill Style Creature, Andy H (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Kneel - Silent Hill Style Creature, Andy H (3D)

Title: Kneel - Silent Hill Style Creature
Name: Andy H
Software:

Ive been working on this for a while in the games forum.
After playing silent hill 2&3 a lot, and seeing the trailers for silent hill 4, i thought id give it a go myself.
I wanted to create a creature similar to the ones in the game - not typical scary monsters, but a messed up perversion of the human form in a japanese horror style.
Its kinda hard to make out on this pic. I have lots of images to show, but I dont think you can post multiple images for the 1st post. Ill post the rest once this one is up.

08 August 2004
In case you already dont know, its a games model. The creature itself is only 1954 triangles, and the environment is 2248 tris. Although they are renders, these images are 'doable' with modern games technology - silent hill 3 can do fake depth of field, filtering, soft self shadows and fake motion blur.
Sorry if its a bit freaky - i just tried to make the most messed up thing i can think of, whist staying away from the whole cliche of rotting muscly green monsters with sharp teeth...

Heres the WIP forum:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=158873

Heres the rest of the images:

08 August 2004
OMG first class stuff. Very freakish character. I'd hate to meet that thing in a dark damp hallway. I really like the b'n'w one. very stylish.

The sppecular looks abit to high though. Almost looks like shiny, rough porcelain in that last color image.

08 August 2004
oh how i love that style, great concept.
the pose in the p&w picture is very nice.

the only thing that disturbs me a bit are the skins between the upper and lower arms / belly and legs, they don't seem to fit quite in. maybe they could be more integrated into the modell

so long
squid

08 August 2004
questionmark imediately presses R2 on ps2 remote and presses "X" repeatedly firing several nervous shotgun rounds towards this abomination, then quickly pauses the game to recover from the sudden scare of this creature entering what seemed to be an empty hallway at first...
WOW!!!
I totally am blown away by the work and mad details done on this piece Andy H, hell I thought I was a fan of the series you sir are far more dedicated ...
btw can't WAIT for SilentHill4 can you ?!?
Absolutely creepy and eerily stunning

?

08 August 2004
good work. freaky but great. reminds me the woman in the movie "JU-ON" . it was bad again very nice work

08 August 2004
Talking

Someone get Konami on the phone and employ Andy for Silent Hill 5!

Awesome. You are an inspiration! Sometimes I'm torn between wanting to kiss you or kill you cause of your mad skillz...

Look forward to more,
-pod

08 August 2004
Thats "wonderfull" stuff, if you know what i mean.

I love the silent hill style and i love your concept. I already spent some time to find a nice and new idea and i know thats difficult. But your model rocks
Especially the black&white rendering has a beautyfull pose. Sexy as HELL.
For modern games technology you are also using a very low polycount. Which is a good thing.
Only crit: you should try to make a better transition between arms/legs and the slimy stuff.
Model it slightly over the arm and use some gradient opacity.
Give the beginning of the diffuseMap the same color as the arm.
Just my opinion. Sexy stuff.
But anyway, I would kick her out of my room.

sexy panda with balls
girl
fighter WIP
pencil present
chicken

Last edited by florian : 08 August 2004 at 05:53 PM.

09 September 2004
That's awesome. Without a doubt, the style is dead on. I've been thinking about doing a silent hill style character with the same style render in the near future. You should definitely send that to Konami, i'm sure they'll hire you instantly.

09 September 2004
cool stuff! hey, where did u learn those things? i mean low poly modelling, and texturing? if u don't mind tell me...

thx!

09 September 2004
Though the concept of the pervert messed up human form in a japanese horror style is definatelly charming, in my opinion your image lacks much in realism, which causes the whole image too look "cheap" and spoils the atmosphere.

I think what strikes most as bad are the shiny speculars on the arm of the lifeform.
What you need is make it look more organic and less shiny.

As for the concept, I suggest you look into the paintings of Hans Bellmer, as I'm sure you'll definatelly like him.

09 September 2004
Talking

Keep in mind, Segmoria, that this is a low-poly model for use in games, so Andy was keeping within those restrictions. As far as the concept, Hans is pretty cool but I think he was going for a more cerebral, and abstract look than the paintings of Hans. Personally, I think his concept is closer to Dave Mckeen and Clive Barker(his paintings).

09 September 2004
Seems like the idea could have came from the girl in 'The Ring'. Just becase of the hair (well, the whole head) and the way she's crawling.

09 September 2004
I do agree that it looks a bit cheap - especially that closeup shot, but i had to show off the model, and any kind of artsy framing (like that far away shot) would make the environment the star of the shot (and its pretty basic!)
I intended for it to look shiny - almost like a cellular skin effect with a bit of grease for good measure.
Im playing silent hill 4 a lot at the moment, and its a lot more subtle than 2 & 3 - the main enemies are "ghost victims" and although they look dead and rotten and can move through walls (leaving gross black stringy slime behind) they are relatively human. However, what makes them so frickin scary is the way they move - they levitate in a relaxed position, and ragdoll physics make their arms, legs and head sway and bump into anything they come across. Having a floating corpse chase you up some stairs whilst bent over backwards with the screen washed in increasing red noise is well nasty!
Id like to make another character in a similar vein, but im goin full steam ahead with the new game art comp.

Cheers for the comments anyways

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread