Abandoned Passage, Matt Highison (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Abandoned Passage, Matt Highison (3D)

Title: Abandoned Passage
Name: Matt Highison
Software: 3d Max 5, Photoshop

Abandoned Passage. A long traversed path through the cave now lies forgotten and overgrown.

Models and render: 3D Max 5, scanline, all “regular” lights (no lighttracer/gi/etc.)
Textures: Many are actually procedural, a few bitmaps here and there.

I recently did a re-design and animation featuring the snail character from this scene. This inspired me to go back and tweak, polish, and finish up the scene he originated from. Abandoned Passage was originally intended for a small print, but I think it holds up fairly well at the huge resolutions I’m posting here.

Although I realize that many elements may not be perfect, this piece has a special place in my heart so I thought I would share it. It really is the first fully realized 3D scene I have completed, and I learned a lot from doing it. So much so, in fact, that I now wish to go back and re-do the entire thing in a different way! However, I think this is the final version of Abandoned Passage, and I will move on to bigger and better things on the horizon.

Comments and critiques are welcome as always. Enjoy!

>> Hi resolution image <<

Last edited by MattH : 08 August 2004 at 07:49 AM.

08 August 2004
Nice image. As you have said, some things arent perfect but what the hell. For some reason it shows how much fun you had making this image.

(As a lighting test you could make a lovely night scene. Maybe with some fireflys or fluorescend mushrooms... :O. Sorry couldnt help myself.)

Cheers mate,

Reinier
[+]
[+] [+] [+] [+]

08 August 2004
great image! its really full of a lot of stuff. hi res image looks great! personally though, i believe that a more fitting title would be "land of the giant snails". just my opinion.

08 August 2004
I like the snails body texturing, but the shell is weird..

08 August 2004
I like it, nice work

08 August 2004
NIce details, modeling and texturing, the lighting could be improved.

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by Reinier: As a lighting test you could make a lovely night scene. Maybe with some fireflys or fluorescend mushrooms... :O. Sorry couldnt help myself.

Don't think I haven't contemplated doing this already.

08 August 2004
I really like it, it's kind of whimsical.

I would also love to see a night scene...

02 February 2005
Hmmmm... It's so... natural...

02 February 2005
Holy mushroom! This is so cool! I feel like a little kid again, when I used to imagine I could be really small and walk among the insects in the grass...

05 May 2005
good work!

05 May 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread