Snail Logo Animation Project, Matt Highison (Animation)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Snail Logo Animation Project, Matt Highison (Animation)

Title: Snail Logo Animation Project
Name: Matt Highison
Software: 3dsmax 6

This animation is for an assignment to produce an animated logo. I decided that instead of simply making a "flying logo" animation, I would try to push it toward the ballpark of a character short.

Render- Max 6 scanline
Textures- All procedural

WIP thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160491

Hope you enjoy! Comments and critiques are much appreciated.

Links to animation

LOW, 3 MB Quicktime
http://moonlitbasement.com/images/a...W_SNAIL_LOW.mov

HIGH, 23 MB Quicktime
http://moonlitbasement.com/images/a..._SNAIL_HIGH.mov

Last edited by MattH : 08 August 2004 at 05:54 AM. Reason: New Links To Movie Files

Old 08 August 2004   #2
Talking

hey matt, what do you use to light your scenes up anyways. its so cool. Are you using skylights, radiosity? Like for both the pond image and this snail logo.

Did Aaron show you you my 3d logo animation because it reminded me of it. Guess who i am.

Old 08 August 2004   #3
For this animation I used key and rim lights, a light below the scene for some faked bounce, and a skylight with lighttracer (low rays, high filter for the render times) for the fill.

This is the first time I've played around with using a skylight and lighttracer, all my previous work used standard lighting setups. I just wanted to try something new.

Old 08 August 2004   #4
i just love it.

dada

Old 08 August 2004   #5
Alright cool. For the actual animation did you use the flex modifier for the antennae and bones(or character studio) for the snail or is that all like hand animated?

Old 08 August 2004   #6
Thats cool man!! I would like to see it with sound.

Old 08 August 2004   #7
BartokDesign- Sound! Yes, I plan on eventually adding sound once I get together some good effects. I don't want the sound to detract from the piece, just add that extra bit to tie it all up. We weren't actually supposed to use sound for the assignment, so I'll fix up any little animation problems and then pop in the sound. My friend makes a great snail sound. Very funny.

dragatomic- Here is an image of the rig I used. Simple max bone linking and a skin modifier. I decided not to use IK, so all the animation is done using forward kinematics with key framing and adjusting in the curve editor. No flex modifiers or scripts for the antennae, all 100% key framed and tweaked in curves/dope sheet.

Old 08 August 2004   #8
I have to agree, sound would be sweet on this. I love the idea and the overall animation here, great work!

Old 08 August 2004   #9
Coolness. Initially I thought the pacing was just too slow for a typical flying logo... I know... its a snail. But yeah, sound will make it complete and I think, banish that concern.
-henning

Old 08 August 2004   #10
Awesome work! Great job w/ secondary motion. Good concept, too!

Old 08 August 2004   #11
yeah, the animation is great. I love it

but it's almost a complete contrast to your actual homepage. Love your sculptures

//Eaglespirit

Old 08 August 2004   #12
Originally Posted by Andini: Great job w/ secondary motion.

It's too rare I hear animation terms being used on this forum. This made my day.

Eaglespirit- Yes, I realize that this new piece contrasts the design of the website, however that will be changing within a few days if all goes well. You know how it goes, I just couldn't wait to get some critique on this one.

Old 08 August 2004   #13
awsome snail... love the texture work and colors

Old 08 August 2004   #14
came out amazing matt! great work

Old 08 August 2004   #15
it is just great, nice job.

Thread Closed share thread