Ref Martial Arts Animation, Lukasz Pazera (Animation)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Ref Martial Arts Animation, Lukasz Pazera (Animation)

Title: Ref Martial Arts Animation
Name: Lukasz Pazera
Software: Lightwave, Bodypaint

Hello,

REF is my diploma animation that I have finally finished back in march and now it is online.

It's based on martial arts theme and in general, it's a short fight scene between two anonymous, indentical warriors who meet in unknown place and fight for unknown reason. All animation was keyframed manually in Lightwave.

I did REF to study various animation techniques and complex motions. I found this project so demanding technically that I developed 2 plugins for Lightwave during REF's production, one of them, ACS4 has already been released (quite some time ago ;) and the second one, Surpasses will hopefully be released in a not so distant future.

I hope You enjoy the movie :)

Link

lukaszpazera.com

Old 08 August 2004   #2
Not too bad, I would suggest toning down the film grain and the flickering effect....it's a little too distracting! (I'm not a fan of fast cutting either!) But some of the moves and stuff in there looked good !

Old 08 August 2004   #3
Hi Lukasz!

It's great to see your work here after such a long time. When I saw your movie the first time back then, I was really amazed about the possibilities one have with 3D skills. Your movie was one of the first I saved on my hd along with other movies I found on the net for inspiration and also pure entertainment. Your movie was also one reason to begin with 3D myself.

Still great work even after this long time.

Old 08 August 2004   #4
now that is a very cool martial arts movie!!

motions looked great and I like the style of the short with the desaturated grainy look with the flickering light. Great camera work as well!

the flickers do make for some really nice transitions (start of character walking...intro of 2nd fighter...) -as well as make this stand out from most other fight scenes

there were a few points where I thought the soundtrack could have matched up with the motion a little tighter (just nitpicking now)

overall, a very cool piece!

Old 08 August 2004   #5
I have downloaded your movie and i´m very surprised. The movements are very exact and well timed. How did you work this out? Did you take some motioncaptured files ?

The only thing i would recommend is, reduce the flickering because the fine movements are pushed into the background through it.

Hope to see more of such films...

greeting from germany

Old 08 August 2004   #6
Great animation.

I thought the grain and the flickering suited it perfectly. Although there was a few times where the soundtrack mismatched the action.

Just fantastic.. i've been inspired again.

Freelance 3D Artist

http://www.iainbanks.com

http://iainbanks.cgsociety.org

Old 08 August 2004   #7
The animation was realy sharp, and the choreography good as well, the grain feel was ok, but i found the flickering a bit too much for my taste. Some people may think its ok for a short film, but try to see something like that in a feature film! Not good for the eyes.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 08 August 2004   #8
thanks for all comments and kind words!

Yeah, the flickering is quite strong, that is why this movie is so short
the idea behind this animation was to give You an insight into situation that You saw accidentaly, like if You suddenly got into the room with those warriors and didn't really know why and what is going on and no one really cared about Your presence. that is why it's a bit chaotic, after first watching the movie was supposed to give an impression of the whole situation rather then detailed picture and leave You with impression that "something has just happened" and You felt the atmoshphere of the event. Something like that.

As for sound, yeah, I also regret that I had no chance to work it out better, too little time and money :(

lukaszpazera.com

Old 08 August 2004   #9
i like most of it but its way too flashy man most of the time can't even tell what happended but u probabally did that so that no one can see too much of what you did wrong in the animetion. good luck with this hope your teacher like it.

Old 10 October 2004   #10
I've been studying your REF piece off and on since you posted a while ago. The more I watch the more I appreciate the broader scene. Very well done. The subtle interactions are so precise. I'm kind of amazed you managed it with Lightwave. In your original post you said, "it's a short fight scene between two anonymous, indentical warriors who meet in unknown place and fight for unknown reason." I've just viewed the video again after all this time my thoughts while watching were a theme of a self struggle. I still think I must have read that somewhere, just can't remember where exactly. Point is, on this level the video does really achieve a higher plane. The struggle of inner conscience, the struggle of choice. Good and evil, life path, self doubt. Drifting in and out of awareness while following the rythym, brutal reality flashing into concsiousness. It's very good. Accidentally momentarily aware. I would imagine the opinions of the more artistic venues would have a bit more tolerance for the style than some of the above posts. I thought the video was excellent. Thanks for posting. And now I have to decide whether or not to submit...

Old 10 October 2004   #11
great mood, superb animation. gratulacie.

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread