ZNP
Veteran
Z NP
Brazil

Character: Tv Guy, Tv Globo (3D)

Title: Character: Tv Guy
Name: Tv Globo
Software: 3dmax

Here is another 3d TV guy, this time for the Olympics. Task was accomplished by using base files from the "TV Presenter" character, Eva Byte.

Image 2

Image 3

Old 08-17-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
ZNP
Veteran
Z NP
Brazil

Here is another 3d TV guy, this time for the Olympic Games. He makes comments in sport shows of Rede Globo, a major TV network in Brasil.

I received green light for the mission the very same day the boss (Delfim Fujiwara) was leaving to Athens. In fact, he called me from the airport! We had 5 weeks to teach this fellow how to speak. And he didn't even exist at the time.

For time constraints, we used the base files of the character shown in the "TV Presenter" topic - Eva Byte - to create a completely different one - Professor Eureka (yes, it was some boss's idea).

So, modeling was done by me in week one. Including the hair, which is a mesh hair instead of Shag's. We had no time to play with set ups. I accomplished this task thanks to the brilliant model work Alex Paiva did in charming Eva. Texture maps were created until week two by Thiago Pires, who sweat his shirt to give hair it's final appearance. I must also say he did the skin tex in a very clever way, laying out the pores, small scars and dark areas in a big sheet. By the way, skin texture, as he noticed, normally washes out through TV signal. (the images you see here are fresh renderings, not TV screenshots)

Marcio Bukowski, from the original Eva Byte crew, showed me how to use the wild, wild morph targets. He even animated 2 spots before going out in vacation (right now, he probably is in a Medal of Honor server somewhere). This guy really knows how to animate, but somehow he seems very awkward in first person shooters.

Continuity in the "teaching me" task was done later by young animation genius freak Vitor Vilela, a guy with several weeks of experience in animating sweet Eva. He shared with me the night shift and made the job look fun. And fun is a word I seldom use with work! Thiago also never stopped surprising me by his will to make the textures look better. If you want two talented, hard workers, hire these two guys! They are young and don't need much maintenance.

Later, we received the aditional job of making him end some phrases as a statue (I know, I know... but it was an order). Thiago once again answered the red phone. Both texture and additional modeling were done in one day.

Animation was done in a quite fast pace, due to Flavio Reis's gatling gun rhythm (project had four animators - Flavio, Vitor and me, besides Bukowski).

Luis Amaral, who had already made some useful scripts for graceful Eva, also set up ready scenes for rendering, a work which included correcting wierd positions we made (with the morph targets, of course!) during our "horse race" process of animation. He also did the compositing. A handy guy, no doubt. Down side is he is ugly as a heart attack.

The backgrounds you see here aren't the final ones. And software and hardware were the same from Eva Byte project.

As he is in a rest, monalisa smile pose in the first pic, we put others. We will soon upload some animations. Hope you like it!

Câmbios,
ZNP

Old 08-17-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
AndyH
Polymonger

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Andrew Hickinbottom
Character Modeler
London, United Kingdom

Looks fantastic, but i can tell it was based on the other girl you did. His mouth, eyebrows and eyes kinda remind me of her somehow....

Great work nonetheless...

Old 08-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
ZNP
Veteran
Z NP
Brazil

Hi, Andy H!

You are totally right! See, the only parts of the Eva model which remained were her ears and not a single pixel of the texture is from her, but the morph targets are exactly the same! Curiously, you told his "mouth, eyebrows and eyes" remind of her somehow. What looks like Eva are the expressions, that is "mouth, eyebrows and eyes"! Even the proportions of the head were altered (like the relations between the eyes, the forehead, lip thickness and so on), but the morph targets were untouched!

And thank you for the nice words!

Old 08-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
YerEvilTwin
Character Artist

Todd Dinosaur
Professional Game Artist
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to YerEvilTwin Send a message via Yahoo to YerEvilTwin
Wheres the link to the video? I need to see it.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

He looks great, although too many face imperfections for a TV guy. They put a lot of makeup on TV you know.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #7
francescaluce
Phenomena™

ctrl.studio
Italy

some problems with the face textures.. it's likes it's not the best day for him to get to work.. and he's in hurry up to go back home to have some sleep....

ciao
francesca

Old 08-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #8
Guillermo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Guillermo Zulueta
Lawyer
España

Outstanding job! I would reduce the face bump to get a softer aspect... anyway it´s great

I love the expressions of he face when he talks!

Old 08-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #9
BartokDesign
ninguem

portfolio
mauricio Bartok
3d generalist
New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to BartokDesign Send a message via Yahoo to BartokDesign
Nice stuff like Eva Byte . But I still prefer the girl of course .... ehehe

Great Textures !

Old 08-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
dcmoutinho
I never give up !

portfolio
Daniel Cavalcante Moutinho
Character Animator
Start - Animation Studios
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to dcmoutinho
very nice , but, I still prefer Eva Byte...

Old 08-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Garma
No light please, thanks

It will stay hidden.
Student
Delft, Netherlands

pretty good. He got the typical FF:TSW characters mouth: kind of curly. I never figured out what really was the problem was with that, but I felt it was the mouth that missed the finishing touch.

still great work tho

Old 08-18-2004, 02:20 AM   #12
blutack
Veteran

student

Send a message via MSN to blutack
that is very cool man good job

Old 08-18-2004, 02:33 AM   #13
ofrango
Student

Send a message via MSN to ofrango
Wow ... I like !!! Heheheh !!! But the eyes remeber Eva ... very nice

Old 08-19-2004, 04:17 AM   #14
AndHolzmeister
www.animation.art.br

portfolio
André Holzmeister
3D Supervisor
CuboCC
São Paulo, Brazil

What is incredible ´bout this project is that it was made in such a hurry and achieved that high level of quality! You guys are lunatics!!! Front page stuff for sure! But where are the wires and videos?

www.animation.art.br
http://andreholzmeister.blogspot.com

Old 08-19-2004, 04:34 AM   #15
MattH
Frequenter
portfolio
... ...

The long lost brother of Eva!

Isn't it nice to come out of a whirlwind production schedule and see you actually accomplished something quite extraordinary? Congrats on another great piece of work.

Thread Closed share thread