portfolio
Steve Tyler
Freelance Artist
Worcester, United Kingdom

Starviper, Steve Tyler (3D)

Title: Starviper
Name: Steve Tyler
Software: Max 5, Photoshop

the Grumman SF-119 'Starviper' is a small, lightweight spacefighter design for an original universe project. the image was generated by 3ds max and had some post processing in ps to add starfield and motion blurring, this is hopefully what it would look like in a capture from a final animation.

crits are welcome, but i'm more or less done with the modelling and texturing. i know its not the most exciting space image ever but its just to show it off.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
the sparky
Know-it-All

Emily Tetri
student
USA

It looks a lot like this ship: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/desktoppics/F_Viper(800x600).jpg http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/desktoppics/Civilian_Vipers(800x600).jpg
which is also called a Viper. Odd coincidence.

It's kind of strange that the stars are blurred parallel to the way the ship is going. I like the cockpit.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:26 AM   #3
krazed
Veteran

I think you might mean perpendicular

Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 AM   #4
ejholmes
Veteran

Eric Holmes
Usa

I think it would look better if you did not blur the star background because stars are so distant that they would not have motion blur....even moving at the speed of light....sorry, i'm a physicist and astronomer .

Old 08-12-2004, 05:45 AM   #5
the sparky
Know-it-All

Emily Tetri
student
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazed
I think you might mean perpendicular

heh, yes, I mixed up my thoughts. It looks strange that they're perpendicular, it would look better if they were parallel.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
superlayer
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rune Ecklon
freelance interactive designer/3d artist
Designskolen Kolding
Shenzhen, China

Send a message via ICQ to superlayer Send a message via AIM to superlayer Send a message via MSN to superlayer
I take it the camera is moving and not the stars so why wouldnt they have motionblur?
Anyways nice spaceship.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
I take it the camera is moving and not the stars so why wouldnt they have motionblur?
Anyways nice spaceship.

Everybody knows that stars only blur just prior to warp (give me 8 Scotty) otherwise we couldnt see how fast we were going .

Old 08-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #8
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Ooops can't edit posts!

Coolhand,..... why don't you take that modelling talent of yours and make a real radical design. Check out futuristic vehicle designs on the web and go a couple of steps further.

Your modelling is real neat,.... looking forward to you breaking out of the mold!

Old 08-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Coolhand
Frequenter

portfolio
Steve Tyler
Freelance Artist

thanks for your replies everyone.

about the blurred stars thing, if you want you could see it as dust or debris thats relatively close to the fighter, as if the photo was taken from another craft thats manuevering around the fighter, or perhaps the fighter has changed vector and is now perpendicular to the path of motion. i hope that clears it up for the physics boffs around here, i thoguht it made teh image a bit more dynamic its something that would be obvious in an animation but maybe not so in a still.

anyways, the starfield took about 30secs in photoshop and the model took over a month on and off, so i'm not too bothered about the starfield.

@ kanga thanks for the complement the fighter was made to conform to the limits and style of the 'universe' which is set a couple of hundred years from now, it all has a style that people can hopefully relate to, a nice mix of unusual and practical.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:53 AM   #10
SpaXe
Beloved.

portfolio
Xavier Ho
Graphics Programmer & Artist
Griffith University
Australia

It's kind of cool. Is he going to a mission?^^

spaxe85@hotmail.com
http://xavierho.com/

Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #11
the sparky
Know-it-All

Emily Tetri
student
USA

since the ship is apparently moving (there are flares) but it's in focus, that means the camera must be tracking it. If the camera is tracking it, the background will be blurred in the direction that the object is moving. Or so I've always beleived.

Old 08-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #12
Coolhand
Frequenter

portfolio
Steve Tyler
Freelance Artist

not if its just changed vector and the manuevering systems/engines are still catching up. a craft in space bahaves a lot differently to one in atmosphere. its something that starwars, trek or a lot of older scifi, completely disregard. so most people expect to see it working like its in air.

not to get deep into the physics but if the craft gained velocity in one direction, then changed to point in another and thrusted in that direction, it would still be travelling on its original course for a while.

Old 08-15-2004, 04:07 AM   #13
blutack
Veteran

student

Send a message via MSN to blutack
nice lighting, the textures are good to like sparky said, i think the stars are blurred the wrong way

Old 08-16-2004, 01:55 AM   #14
the sparky
Know-it-All

Emily Tetri
student
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand
not if its just changed vector and the manuevering systems/engines are still catching up. a craft in space bahaves a lot differently to one in atmosphere. its something that starwars, trek or a lot of older scifi, completely disregard. so most people expect to see it working like its in air.

not to get deep into the physics but if the craft gained velocity in one direction, then changed to point in another and thrusted in that direction, it would still be travelling on its original course for a while.

Yeah, inertia, basic physics. But the image doesn't read like there is inertia. If it was an animation or the exhaust trail curved downward to match the recently changed motion it could work. But right now it just looks off.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
Akira2506
Veteran

Joseph Whittingham
Vehicle Artist
THQ
Stafford, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to Akira2506 Send a message via AIM to Akira2506 Send a message via MSN to Akira2506 Send a message via Yahoo to Akira2506
Cool

WoW; That's a nice render. I like the specular Bloom; it's very artistic. I also like the simplicity of the design; it looks like a war-time "budget" fighter of sorts; which I guess is what you were going for?!

As for the blur...the way I see it; the camera is current moving vertically on it's Z-axis while taking the photo...thus; stars in the background seem blurred. I'm guessing exposure times on stars are quite immense...

Anyhoo; as the man said; who cares? Next time just post it on a blue-screen =P Save yourself the grief!

-Akira

Thread Closed share thread