Courtyard At Dawn, Dave Brinda (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Courtyard At Dawn, Dave Brinda (3D)

Title: Courtyard At Dawn
Name: Dave Brinda
Software: Cinema 4d, Bodypaint

A personal project exploring environmental exteriors. Just experimenting with textures and natural lighting.

Old 08 August 2004   #2
Looks great! Very evocative. Looks like the sort of Cinema 4D rendering that Carles Piles is famous for!

http://www.3dluvr.com/carles/

Critiques: Personally, I love the richness of the blue sky, but does it match the rest of the dark, pre-dawn lighting in your scene?

Old 08 August 2004   #3
Ooh, I also checked out your website. Great clients! I vividly remember those Apple interactive displays enticing me to make irresponsible purchases back in University days! Fantastic work!

Old 08 August 2004   #4
Thanks...I appreciate the comments. I guess the blue sky might be a tad overdone...was trying to work the blue/orange complimentary color angle. Maybe darkening the upper left in PS would help enhance the dawn feel? I'll have to experiment some more.

Hey...the Carles Piles reference is very kind of you...the guy is a master and any comparison is very high praise indeed. Thanks.

Oh, and sorry about the Apple demos being so enticing...

Old 08 August 2004   #5
Cool lighting and great atmosphere. Maybe only golden parts of the gate are to shiny ang bright.

Old 08 August 2004   #6
I won't mention colours 'cause it's already done, but I'd say the lens distortion is a bit uncomfortable. I don't know what's your intentions with that, but maybe it's too hard.
That said, good materials and textures !

Old 08 August 2004   #7
Good work I only have two comments.
The distortion on your camera view is too much and doesn't show off the scene that well.
Also the yellow light from your torch is too strong. It bounces off the farwall when the sunlight (even at dawn) should overpower it somewhat. Right now it makes it look like we're in a studio with a fake sky in the background. Also dawn lighting feels a little cooler overall so I really think trying to tone down that torch light would give a stronger feel of open air to the courtyard.

Old 12 December 2004   #8
I agree that the golden parts of the gate are shiny, I disagree with this (The distortion on your camera view is too much and doesn't show off the scene that well) I think this perspective is giving the scene a cool sense and distance, I think just the blaze into the stand is a little much glower, in my opinion a calm long flame would be nice.
Excellent work and deserve excellent score.

Old 12 December 2004   #9
I finally had some time to go back and tweak this image, based on some of your feedback, and thought I'd share the results.

The lighting falloff has been tweaked so the torch light doesn't hit the far wall, and I replaced the sky and tweaked the fill to lean more towards the dawn feel. The shiny brass accents have also be toned down a bit.

Old 12 December 2004   #10
very nice,,i like the new background more..keep the good job.

Old 12 December 2004   #11
Cool I think it's great. I hadn't thought of changing the backdrop but now the lighting makes a lot more sense. Even the position of the moon in the sky coincides with the direction of the shadow it's light casts. That's a clever fix... but now that the moonlight feels so strong i want to try something if I may. Check my next post

Old 12 December 2004   #12
This looks great so far Brinda! I like the new alterations you made on the picture as a whole. However, maybe one thing that could be improved on is the gold in the front gates. It really looks like it's just floating there. Maybe you could make it more chipped and include color from the dark colored poles that are holding it up so that the two pieces look like the belong together. Otherwise, very nice!

_FreD_

Old 02 February 2005   #13
Thanks, I'm happy with the alterations.

@mehdianim: Can't wait to see what you have in mind...look forward to you post.

@F. Hultqvist: I know what you mean about the gold...I've been wrestling with that. I guess the easiest fix would be a little post retouching in Photoshop. We'll see.

Old 02 February 2006   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread