Elven Knight, Michael Stern (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2004   #1
Elven Knight, Michael Stern (3D)

Title: Elven Knight
Name: Michael Stern
Software: 3ds Max 5, Final Renderer Stage 1, Adobe Photoshop

Hello,
this is my first attemp to create a character. I'm not well experienced MAX user, so I will be happy for any critique :).
This picture is created in 3DS MAX 5 with Final Renderer Stage 1 and a little adjusted in Photoshop.

Old 07 July 2004   #2
Hello mister starwalker

U sure you're not a well experienced max user? That picture is very nice. Texturing, modeling, composition.. I've nothing to crit.

When I look at the picture I see an elven warrior who finally comes home after many battles. He could be standing on the top of a hill with view to his home village. That's cool.

Old 07 July 2004   #3
thats cool.. reminds me of warcraft/LOTR

Old 08 August 2004   #4
he's looking really good and moody Some thing to point out are his hair and cloak are not looking so natural yet, and his body is a bit lost (same blue asn the cloak?) Also if you would pose him so that we see more of his geture

Old 08 August 2004   #5
The lighting could use some work as it's a bit flat in places and too evenly lit. Better dispertion of light across the surfaces to help distinguish important areas and adding more mood/depth to the shot will help tremendously. I like it overall though, just some minor tweaks and you'll have a solid piece.

Old 08 August 2004   #6
Thanks a lot :o). I'll try do something with the lighting and maybe with hair texture (it looks little unreal, but I like this style .

Old 08 August 2004   #7
WTF is with this server's compression!? Pics like this deserve to be seen in better quality.

Old 08 August 2004   #8
It's very stylish, but the way the hair is it comes off as anime-ish. I'd also change the textures on the shoulders to a different type. Maybe something with a high colored reflectance.

Old 08 August 2004   #9
wow thats pretty good for your first effort! nice attention to detail!

Old 08 August 2004   #10
Looks great!

He'd probably be hell in a lift tho

Old 08 August 2004   #11
WTF is with this server's compression!? Pics like this deserve to be seen in better quality.

Try clicking on the picture.

>> Coming Soon: Adventure takes a whole new form... <<

Old 08 August 2004   #12
hi,

this looks really, really good!! first character, haha, funny.
you have very much talent, respect!!
i would like to see his face...

kudos, maniax

and :
my Soloproject
my thesis

Old 08 August 2004   #13
Thats an amazing modeling job for a first character. However i would suggest a more readable pose. Having his face turned away from the camera, leaving a bunch of hair floating in the wind, doesn't make much sense to me. That character definitely needs a face, or at least part of it showing up. Given the fact that the lighting, texturing is not very good, it took me a while to figure that this was a human figure with a cloak, holding a shord. But again, thats just my opinion.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 08 August 2004   #14
Looks good. But, I think what would make it look even better, is if you had his head turned and him looking behind him out of the corner of his eye. It would look more dynamic. You could also do a long shot where he's standing on a hill top of blowing grass looking back. That too would look cool. At least, that's what I picture anyway.

Old 08 August 2004   #15
Originally Posted by Dennik: Thats an amazing modeling job for a first character. However i would suggest a more readable pose. Having his face turned away from the camera, leaving a bunch of hair floating in the wind, doesn't make much sense to me. That character definitely needs a face, or at least part of it showing up. Given the fact that the lighting, texturing is not very good, it took me a while to figure that this was a human figure with a cloak, holding a shord. But again, thats just my opinion.

I think he's partly right..
It might be a good idea to have him turn his head, and give us a mean look, so we can see his face, and it would add to the character's aura, feeling.

Thread Closed share thread