DownHill, Andrea Bertaccini (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
DownHill, Andrea Bertaccini (3D)

Title: DownHill

Name: Andrea Bertaccini

This is my entry for the Car contest of Hum3D.

Is my tribute to an Iconic Car on an Iconic City.
I wonted to reproduce the "BULLITT" city, rided by a modified 65 Mustang Fastback, that jumps down from the hills near the Coit Tower.
I create an unreal street of San Francisco, ispired me by the union of some real place, more or less should be at the corner from Greenwitch St and Stockton St.

The car is a Modified 65 Ford Mustang Fastback of a classic Bullitt Green (I know that the Bullitt one was a 68' but I love the 65 model).
I used some Vray aerial prospecive to simulate the San Francisco enviorment tuirbidity, that still in summer.
I paid a lot of attention at the composition of the image, the car position, the angle of the wiev and some details positioned are due to a matching of the composition

11 November 2017
The lighting looks great, but that car needs a tiny bit of motion blur to sell the speed you are going for. Overall, really nice piece, though! Good work

11 November 2017
really thanks,

I used some Motionblur on wheel, if you zoom it you can see (better in whireframe, cose of the dark color in render), just a little because i serched for some image ofcar that shooted in Jump and i see that the wheel are more slow then onroad (not sure why) probably because the driver take of the feet from the Gas pedal on fly, if you look at the Ken Block image of Jimkana in San Francisco you can see it by yourself, here the link:

https://www.freshnessmag.com/.image/...ancisco-00.jpg

the image is taked from front , in all the image that i see the car have noMotion blur ( or maibe I havent see it) I was in dubt to give it just a bit, but should be really impercettible.

thanks for your comment.

12 December 2017
I see what you are saying, especially after seeing that photo ref. Really nice work overall, man!†

12 December 2017
really thanks David

12 December 2017
tires look to "square" to me. Corners sharp and straight profile thread. Due to air pressure in the tire free above a surface should bulge them out a little on tire's thread.
Back in the days the cars had no low profile tires, rather the high tirewall profile ratio. So they bulge more.

Scene looks cool, maybe a delicate bit motion blurr on the car, as if it would drive right out of your screen.†

I love the movie Bullit by the way.

12 December 2017
you have right, maibe I had to round a bit the bottom of the tire.
Pls note that the scene is not a Back in the day, but is a Today's day.

12 December 2017
I feel that the distance between the wheels and the top of the wheel arches might be greater for a car in mid air.

I don't know about motion-blur. People are often too keen to mimic old photographs when cameras were crap.

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 12:42 PM.

12 December 2017
Nice render and nice contrast between the darker car and the bright SF street.

Typical car renders are very boring. This image is more dynamic and more interesting.

I agree that you should try a version with some motionblur on the car, or maybe the background street motionblurred and the car not.

I don't know whether that will look good in this particular render.

Very nice work. Maybe you should create an animated version?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: I feel that the distance between the wheels and the top of the wheel arches might be greater for a car in mid air.

I don't know about motion-blur. People are often too keen to mimic old photographs when cameras were crap.
Agree with your first point.

About the motion blur, I think it's not about simulating old cameras or new awesome ones. At the end of the day you're "selling" an idea. And if speed is one of the things you wanna sell (maybe it's not) then it's a bit lacking in that regard. Of course there's other tricks for speed other than motion blur. The movement of the wheels, they could be lower for a car hanging in the air, they could be at slightly different heights to show some chaos in the image. He could also use particles, a bit of smoke from the tires, little rocks flying as the car "took off" the ground, and all of that without motion blur. Image quality is a bit clean to drive the emotion home of the vertigo and speed. But maybe the author wanted a clean image and that's it.

Other than that tiny detail, the image is impecable. The overall quality is great, and the details are really well done too. The composition works well, and I'm a bit of a sucker for tilted camera angles. It does add quite a bit to the action.
Care to share some more technical details? Like software, renderer (seems like it's vray right?), render time, compositing soft as well?
Cheers.

reply share thread