A Future Toronto, Mathew Borrett (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2014   #1
A Future Toronto, Mathew Borrett (3D)

Title: A Future Toronto
Name: Mathew Borrett
Submitted: 12th April 2014

This was a double page spread illustration for Spacing Magazine's 10th ann issue. Its more a of a fun what-if scenario than a serious commentary on anything. I imagined it was roughly 200 yrs in the future, but there is no story to go along with it. I wanted it to be ambiguous - obviously the city experienced some major decay, but also show hopeful signs of renewal. The scene was built to real-world scale, and many of the buildings are based on real-world condo towers. The final modo render was 6500x2500, with some post in photoshop. I made a lot of use of modo's replicators and variation texture. The models were built in modo, then heavily distressed in 3D coat voxels, before being optimized and brought back into modo. Everything was done in a fairly quick-and-dirty fashion - no UVs (except on the xfrog trees), just a lot of tiling and slope-based texture effects. The scene is lit by an HDR sky image.

Large version HERE

Old 04 April 2014   #2
Wow! This is awesome!

The link to the high res seems to be broken though.

Old 04 April 2014   #3
beautiful landscape!

Old 04 April 2014   #4
A Future Toronto

It's awesome. Thank you for sharing.
I prefer the evening version!
Do you have a link to a higher resolution version of that one somewhere?

Originally Posted by yonderbean:

Title: A Future Toronto
Name: Mathew Borrett
Submitted: 12th April 2014

This was a double page spread illustration for Spacing Magazine's 10th ann issue. Its more a of a fun what-if scenario than a serious commentary on anything. I imagined it was roughly 200 yrs in the future, but there is no story to go along with it. I wanted it to be ambiguous - obviously the city experienced some major decay, but also show hopeful signs of renewal. The scene was built to real-world scale, and many of the buildings are based on real-world condo towers. The final modo render was 6500x2500, with some post in photoshop. I made a lot of use of modo's replicators and variation texture. The models were built in modo, then heavily distressed in 3D coat voxels, before being optimized and brought back into modo. Everything was done in a fairly quick-and-dirty fashion - no UVs (except on the xfrog trees), just a lot of tiling and slope-based texture effects. The scene is lit by an HDR sky image.

Old 04 April 2014   #5
I prefer the overcast/ sundown version. The bright sun in the normal version makes it look somewhat too stylized in places.

Mylenium

Old 04 April 2014   #6
stunning..

would love to see this animated like a walk through.

Old 04 April 2014   #7
Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by neilmahmood: stunning..

would love to see this animated like a walk through.

I plan to do a simple push-in when I have time. I have to fill it out more in many places to cover up all the gaps that will appear. Since it was for a still and I had limited time, I had to be very careful not to model details that wouldn't be visible.

Old 04 April 2014   #8
Wow very nice one

Old 04 April 2014   #9
Epic! Very impressive

Old 04 April 2014   #10
Dear Yonderbean,

Im an interior designer and i work on Arch Viz and interior spaces.
I am curious to know, do u model the whooooole scene ?

Old 04 April 2014   #11
Amazing. You rendered a render that rendered me amazed.
You talked shortly about how you went about this image, if you would have it in your heart to write a little more about the texture workflow and photoshop steps I would explode in a fireworkly fashion.

Old 04 April 2014   #12
Originally Posted by Dstorted: Amazing. You rendered a render that rendered me amazed.
You talked shortly about how you went about this image, if you would have it in your heart to write a little more about the texture workflow and photoshop steps I would explode in a fireworkly fashion.

The texture work was relatively simple. I relied a lot on actually geometry. The few images were used with tiling cubic projection (such as a few layered up to build up a rough concrete look). I used Modo's variation texture node to add random colours on a per-mesh part or per item basis to add a lot of randomness. Probably 50+ shaders in the final. No UVs at all. I relied on sculpted detail on the concrete - no displacement maps, just straight geo spat out of 3D Coat and optimized in Balancer (and yes this made the viewport extremely laggy by the end so I had to keep most items invisible most of the time). A lot of colour nuance is added by the HDR sky image as well.

As for photoshop, I painted some minor elaborations here and there where the 3D didn't quite hold up, including leafing out some of the vegetation. And added the geese and hawk. I also added a fair bit of atmosphere using masks I made out of the zdepth render below (which is the only extra output I used other than the beauty).

"Wet clay" version:

Raw Render out of Modo (no photoshop):

Last edited by yonderbean : 04 April 2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added image

Old 04 April 2014   #13
Originally Posted by Drosophilax: Dear Yonderbean,

Im an interior designer and i work on Arch Viz and interior spaces.
I am curious to know, do u model the whooooole scene ?

- The trees are all xfrog plants.
- The CN tower is one I purchased and heavily modified (obviously).
- The Skydome stadium was also purchased but it turned out to be innacurate so I completely rebuilt it. It helps that I work not far from the actual location so I took lots of reference photos.
- Some of the boats are from Evermotion.
- Everything else I modelled. I have a large kit of parts from older scenes that were used make random replicator systems, which was a quick way to fill out areas with semi-abstract detail.

Old 06 June 2014   #14
Congratulations on winning a CGChoice award for this piece

Congratulations on winning a CGChoice award for this piece! You've won a CGSConnect Membership for the next 12 months - it will be applied to your post within the next 24 hours. Thanks for posting this great work

Old 06 June 2014   #15
CG Society Award

Also congratulations to Mathew Borrett for another "Future Toronto" nomination: www.thecgawards.com/vote/arch-viz-still/
AND His illustration was recently nominated at the Canadian National Magazine Awards http://www.magazine-awards.com/inde...id=1828&la_id=1

Originally Posted by Buscat: Congratulations on winning a CGChoice award for this piece! You've won a CGSConnect Membership for the next 12 months - it will be applied to your post within the next 24 hours. Thanks for posting this great work

reply share thread