HUSH, THOMAS M RING (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
HUSH, THOMAS M RING (3D)

Title: HUSH
Name: THOMAS M RING
Software: Poser, Vue

Polymodel: Corolin (Poser's Miki2 with substantial morphing and texturing)

Hat Modeled in Amorphium

Background from Vue. Rendered in Poser

Thanks

05 May 2013
The jacket texture is really low-resolution. The lighting appears to be coming randomly from... wherever. Not from the sky, or the sun. The skin textures seem too matte, there's no scattering or depth involved. The green ribbon thing on her hat also seems low-resolution and doesn't look like fabric yet. The links of metal don't seem like metal. The necklace appears to glow. It doesn't appear as though there is any indirect lighting going on here, and the shadows around her neck are wrong, as well as the hair shadows.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

05 May 2013
I agree, and when you use a model that is not yours, you have to make a great work in materials, lighting and composition in order to compensate that you didnīt work modelling the girl.

Last edited by gherrera : 05 May 2013 at 07:03 PM.

05 May 2013
Thanks for your input; the girl is actually worked substantially from the base model, including her own sculptured teeth. I know realism is the accepted currency here, but there's something to be said for impact...

05 May 2013
The main problem is that you used Vue to create a render that could have easily been accomplished in Poser itself - and you wouldn't need to hit render. There are no shadows, and that is a mortal sin in the CG world since the early 2000's (even in the Renderosity galleries, you will find very few shadowless renders nowadays).

I will address the sculpting - good work on that front. She looks very different from Miki 2. The problem is that whatever amount of work you put in is useless if you're only going to display it in a darkened basement.

I'm not trying to be mean, but there are much better renders even at Renderosity. If you're going to post Poser output here, you have to have higher standards for yourself. This means all aspects of your image must be of outstanding quality.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by BLUESTONE728: Thanks for your input; the girl is actually worked substantially from the base model, including her own sculptured teeth. I know realism is the accepted currency here, but there's something to be said for impact...

the impact being a badly assembled poser render

if you want to improve your work take note of what people have said, dont try and dismiss it with some pretentious comment

05 May 2013
Shadows in the fog? I'm sorry folks, you all seem a bit snarky.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by BLUESTONE728: Shadows in the fog? I'm sorry folks, you all seem a bit snarky.

you want your ego stroked? post it here www.renderosity.com

you're on the wrong forum if you think people are going to fawn over generic poser portraits

Last edited by squidinc : 05 May 2013 at 02:43 PM.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by BLUESTONE728: Shadows in the fog? I'm sorry folks, you all seem a bit snarky.

lol.

part of being a good artist is being able to accept constructive criticism.

work on that.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

05 May 2013
If you have a light source, there will always, always be shadows. This is among the most elemental of all features of our visible reality. To discount this advice is... I can't even think of a proper word.

Instead, here are some examples of people on beaches with overcast or foggy lighting. Perhaps that will help. Your render should look as realistic as one of these - that's the goal, otherwise pick a stylistic approach or use a video game engine. Unreal, Unity, and even Skyrim's engine render better than what you're presenting to us as a "finished piece".

Shadows. See 'em?

Hair shadows.

Shadows in the hood, against the face.

Shadows along the dressline, and under the hair.

Hope this helps.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

05 May 2013
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your work though as mentioned from previous posts it needs numerous overhaul to stand firm in the showcase gallery. I instead suggest directing your work into WIP and routinely post updates on a piece/model/render etc as you progress. Numerous artists of all skill sets and backgrounds are here to provide honest feedback and enjoy it in return.

Another suggestion I have is to look into compositional theory, study up on what makes a good composition. The piece currently has centered framing which is immensely bland, your eye level is fairly close to upper third though which is a start. Color selection is important as well, currently the subject and background are nearly identical hues. The only reason why the subject stands out is a clash in texture resolution and lighting.

In a nutshell: keep practicing, be humble and share your work in WIP section until you have a piece that won't be shot down by fundamentally based criticism. Also loads and loads of great books to learn and improve on here.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: Thank you for sharing your work though as mentioned from previous posts it needs numerous overhaul to stand firm in the showcase gallery. I instead suggest directing your work into WIP and routinely post updates on a piece/model/render etc as you progress. Numerous artists of all skill sets and backgrounds are here to provide honest feedback and enjoy it in return.

I agree. WIP is the place for this, the feedback will help you to improve. It probably isn't your fault that your work slipped through the net, the judges are usually very alert for this kind of thing.

Edit: I just became aware after posting that the submission standards for this part of the forum have been either relaxed, or dropped altogether.

Last edited by wildjj : 05 May 2013 at 07:36 PM.

05 May 2013
Thank you all for your input, I fully appreciate your efforts to clarify what you're not finding up to par. On the issue of shadows, I'm a little puzzled, because I see shadows on her chest, from her hair, at the edge of her lips, and under the cap. What is different from these "shadows" and the ones you are describing?

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by BLUESTONE728: Thank you all for your input, I fully appreciate your efforts to clarify what you're not finding up to par. On the issue of shadows, I'm a little puzzled, because I see shadows on her chest, from her hair, at the edge of her lips, and under the cap. What is different from these "shadows" and the ones you are describing?

Yours more look like random splotches allover the place.

Learn about texturing, shading, lighting and rendering.

Seriously if you cant see what is wrong with this image or how to improve it, you should consider looking for another hobby.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by BLUESTONE728: I'm a little puzzled, because I see shadows on her chest, from her hair, at the edge of her lips, and under the cap. What is different from these "shadows" and the ones you are describing?

Yes, you have shadows there... and all of them look wrong. Can you seriously compare the shadows on your model to the shadows shown in the example pictures?

For example...
-why is her right nostril luminous on the inside? It should be in shadow. And on the outside there's also a rim of light that shouldn't be there. For an overcast sky (you say she is in the fog, right?!) the nose is too dark in comparison with the rest of the skin. Actually nothing makes sense in the shading of the nose, it's all wrong! Jut compare with this (forget about the rest, just look at the nose for now!) http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=132&t=1105788
-why is the right of her hat bright inside? Should be way darker.
-the flower in the hat doesn't seem to belong there, looks universally lit and doesn't cast shadow on the hat itself.
-if it's overcast, why does the hair leave hard shadows? Hair shadows are really soft, specially with overcast or foggy skies.
-the shading in the neck doesn't make any sense.
-you say there are shadows on the chest... to me it looks like she fell down a dirty chimney.
-the neckless looks wrong. It can't be that bright unless it's a light source (which would make the rest even more wrong)
-the chain-links on the chest have reflections/shimmering that don't look right with the suppose light or its surroundings. It also doesn't cast any shadows I can see.

This is only about shadows and a bit of shading. Not mentioning texturing or advanced stuff like SSS, skin properties, fabric texture, low-res textures and maybe some UV stretching.

With that said... I think if we isolate the hair, it looks good! And I love her expression, she looks sad but confident at the same time.

(there's a positive note on everything ;-) )

Thread Closed share thread