Realistic USA RANGER PORTRAIT, siamak roshani (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Realistic USA RANGER PORTRAIT, siamak roshani (3D)

Title: Realistic USA RANGER PORTRAIT
Name: siamak roshani
Software: Arnold, Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush

Hey guys, Here is the new project I worked on with a talented lighting TD artist and a very good friend of mine Jeremy Celeste (http://www.jeremyceleste.com/ ).

In this project I worked on the Modeling, Texturing and hairs. I used a previous base mesh I've done before which is a clean mesh with UV ( The UV was done with UVMaster). Textures on the eyes and head are hand painted in ZBrush and Photoshop.

Jeremy did work on the Lighting, Shading, Rendering and Compositing of it. He did lots of test renders and we worked back and forth to make it as good as possible.

The software's we used on this piece are ZBrush, Maya, Arnold for rendering, Nuke and for the hair I used Maya Hair.

We also made an article for 3DWorldMagazine which you can check it out in the latest one which is issue 164 and I believe its out already!

Hope you like the work and waiting for your feedbacks!

Old 12 December 2012   #2
GREAT WORK Siamak! Keep it up bro!
Gumroad (tutorial)

Old 12 December 2012   #3
great work, in texture and lighting!! but it seems that a noticeable part of the skull of the character has been cut off, and it is very strange, anatomically!...

Old 12 December 2012   #4
nice job. i like the eyes... very beliveble

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Amazing .................

Old 12 December 2012   #6
very impressive work, compliment
ottobrando@gmail.com
Cell ITA: +39 329 06 58 252

Site: www.ottavianobrando.com

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Sweet

Great work guys! Looks fantastic.
uk.linkedin.com/in/denisbodart

Old 12 December 2012   #8
fantastic work

Old 12 December 2012   #9
it's amazing! front page material

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Really nice render. Reminds me of "I'm Pat f*****g Tillman!"

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Thumbs up Good Job

WOOOOOW Great WORK my Freind

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Is the 'missing' part of the skull on purpose? It was never explained in the initial post?

I think the piece looks overall good in terms of technical level, skin texture is nice, modeling of the face is fantastic, although the beret texture, as well as that of the clothing's can be improve.

This is a artist centric forum so people look past obvious weirdness of the missing skull. But if I am not an artist, the first thing that jump into my mind will not be the realistic skin, but the missing skull.

Maybe you can think about this in your next work.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
@Hit-Fx: Merci peyman!
@Celmar: Thanks man! I checked your comments and in ZBrush the skull size
was fine and I will update with some pictures later related to that. If you check almost half or more of the skull is inside the beret and also the camera angle could help that to show the skull a bit smaller but I saw 2 more people saying the same thing you mentioned so I will make sure to update the pics to clear it up.

@Creieru:Thanks a lot!
@pouyanm: thanks pouyan
@otto83: thanks a lot!
@KrOLL: Thanks a lot!
@aamirart: Thanks man!
@Morris-3D: Thanks morris
@DaveKW: Render by Jeremy! Pat Tillman is a hero to a nation and I respect that
@blackhunter: Merci mohammad
@PKD:As answered to Celmar

Quick EDIT: If you guys mean top left corner of the skull is missing its because of the camera angle and the big fold on the beret which makes it hard to see the skull there. and nothing is missing.

Last edited by siamakcgm : 12 December 2012 at 10:16 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by siamakcgm
@Hit-Fx: Merci peyman!
@Celmar: Thanks man! I checked your comments and in ZBrush the skull size
was fine and I will update with some pictures later related to that. If you check almost half or more of the skull is inside the beret and also the camera angle could help that to show the skull a bit smaller but I saw 2 more people saying the same thing you mentioned so I will make sure to update the pics to clear it up.

Quick EDIT: If you guys mean top left corner of the skull is missing its because of the camera angle and the big fold on the beret which makes it hard to see the skull there. and nothing is missing.

I'm very confident that you're correct about the skull, but the first moment I saw this in 3D World mag I thought "omg, this looks so wrong, what happened to the guy's skull and why does that beret has such an extreme fold?". Just my honest first thoughts, if you don't mind.

So given that everything is correct in regard to the skull then you'll 'only' need to fix the beret's fold. A fold like this seems not really possible given the material of the beret. Such cloth would not fold easily in that kind of shape. It's more stiff. This beret tends to look like a piece of folded silk or something similar to silk in material behaviour.

My second thoughts, by the way, were a lot more positive because I really like the skin texturing, expression and eyes here. Very good work there, let's not forget that!

Old 12 December 2012   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled-Universe
I'm very confident that you're correct about the skull, but the first moment I saw this in 3D World mag I thought "omg, this looks so wrong, what happened to the guy's skull and why does that beret has such an extreme fold?". Just my honest first thoughts, if you don't mind.

So given that everything is correct in regard to the skull then you'll 'only' need to fix the beret's fold. A fold like this seems not really possible given the material of the beret. Such cloth would not fold easily in that kind of shape. It's more stiff. This beret tends to look like a piece of folded silk or something similar to silk in material behaviour.

My second thoughts, by the way, were a lot more positive because I really like the skin texturing, expression and eyes here. Very good work there, let's not forget that!

some people mentioned that but I followed the reference to make the beret model and didn't exaggerate anything. I modeled the same beret which is in the link below and thanks a lot for mentioning :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ick_Tillman.jpg

But I will keep that in mind to not do the same mistake next time so people would get it by checking it the first time.

Thread Closed share thread