Merlad_blord, Timur (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
theres some wires on the website.

06 June 2005
here:

06 June 2005
Wow! This is insane!

A friend of mine told me that you have a very peculiar way of uvmapping in lightwave. I didn't understand the whole thing, but man, if you could explain this graphically would be awesome. Regards

The edit: I've noticed that you don't use a centerline in your model, what is the advantage?

Last edited by Zombietic : 06 June 2005 at 04:34 PM.

06 June 2005
Talking

ho...nice wire...please tell me how many time for the render??

Alex.

06 June 2005
This is the uv-map of him. I've color-coded it to make it more clearly. It's very much like a classical unwrap, except it's literally unfolded through a single polygon. For an entire body a seperated head can be unfolded through the opening of the neck then...works very well!

The render at 2000x2737 with GI and Translucency and reflecting corneas took 1h45min on a 3GHz AMD opteron.

edit: the explanation for why there's no center split...
I hate center splits, as it is more trouble hiding their nature and it's mostly redundant to have a separation through the middle. It only badly effects the curvature. Plus with symetrical modeling it is even more redundant, since it is never required to mirror one half to the other side. Yet, even when the symetry feature hasn't existed yet, I never had a center split.

Last edited by Taron333 : 06 June 2005 at 10:59 AM.

06 June 2005
Ok Taron tanks a lot for your explanation very interessing method... I really will try this
eheh Taron method
tanks again !!

Alex.

Last edited by alexfalchi : 06 June 2005 at 11:10 AM.

06 June 2005
hi taron,

great work as always.
your movie "people" is awsome, really.

regards,
dean

06 June 2005
So, basically you create this operation in a morph map, a bit like Aristomenis Tsirbas, then you apply a planar uv projection in your geometry when you finish this unwrap?

Thanks for this explanation

06 June 2005
I'm not sure how Meni does it, but if he overcomes Lightwave's sad UV-tweaking implementation by using endomorph maps in order to take advantage of Lightwave's otherwise beautiful modeling tools....then yes!

Last edited by Taron333 : 06 June 2005 at 06:21 PM.

06 June 2005
I don't see a real advantage in your unwrap method, it seems a very tedious job, i imagine a head with 1000 + polys would be a real pain to do...Unless that you can lay a perfect checkboard texture in your model with virtually no distortion. Why not using cilindrical projection and then adjust the sampled data? Sorry for the stream of questions, but i really want to understand this.

Regards

06 June 2005
Thumbs up

Let's put it like this, I could literally show you how I do it and it wouldn't even get boring to watch!

No, really, it feels even tedious, but it actually isn't...dealing with the cylindrical map is actually worse and you have a larger separation (seam)! Using just a single polygon leaves you with only ONE "dangerous" edge. Also, nowadays, thanx to ZBrush you don't need heads with 1000 polygons, really. I mean, even in the "good old days" I hardly went that high and got all the detail I ever needed. So at such high polygon count is a good sign for some issue that should be solved otherwise. But, well....maybe I just need to get my friggin' DVDs made, then it's going to be much easier to explain what I mean.

Thanx for asking, actually! It's way better that you do that as opposed to silently wondering or even dismissing it all, only because it doesn't find any backup in your personal experiences. So asking is really good! Now at least, you can give it a shot and see if it works for you. But again, it looks and even feels like a bunch of work to make such UVs, but it turns out to take only very little time...I think on that one I spend roughly 15 to 20 minutes tops. I think that's really ok! I think I mentioned that before, but it's really almost fun!

Last edited by Taron333 : 06 June 2005 at 12:25 AM.

06 June 2005
15 to 20 minutes isn't bad at all! I was wondering how well it preserves the pixel/polygon size ratio though??, ...could that method be used in something like games? It looks like in some areas polygons take up a lot of space compared to how big they are on the model.

for single mesh UV's I just port the darn thing into Maya then spit it back out, making UV's in 20 minutes in LW is amazing, ....I gotta try that method. I'd also be totally interested in seeing how you approach a full character. What's your typical polycount range for a bi-ped humanoid?

I'll be looking forward to the DVD's!

06 June 2005
Yeah, we mere mortals, will buy big chief dvd's. :( (I've read your edited post about Meni)

06 June 2005
Timur

Nice work!
Drew

06 June 2005
Zombietic....Yup, well, turned out to be a bit more about myself, huh?!
I just hope this little remark makes him start (edit: NOT) to worry, HAHAHA! Nuthin' ta worry about, Meni!

Oh, and thanx, Drew!

Thread Closed share thread