DSF: Guys lets talk...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2011   #31
not sure if this is the place to ask but are analog - aka paper and pen submissions cool in here?
I know the whole place is called CG... but still.

My 2c. for the time limit stuff is that people take the competitive side too seriously - I understand exposure but really you are competing against yourself on these things. I have not participated earlier but am looking for a relaxed place where I can post some clumsy scribbles of mine. Just something to motivate me to practice. Time limits are good as quick sketching is where you establish the proportion and essentials.

Old 03 March 2011   #32
Oh yes, analog is just fine.
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2011   #33
Hi, I have not submitted a single sketch, but have come back to this sub forum once every now and then (this is one of those times) to consider "Am I going to take the plunge & see if I can really go down this as a career path or not". The point of my previous statement is that I believe doing these daily sketches is the best way to improve our drawing skills. Having that time restriction is crucial for someone who has much to learn.

Many small but significant mistakes teaches us more than one long lesson getting wrapped up in detail then realizing many hours later that it's not going to fly. If a person can't make a decent sketch with decent posture/composition/base colors etc, no number of hours is going to make the image look right.

I don't like deadlines, I don't like to hurry, but this is much needed artistic exercise. Some become good enough to showcase some of their sketches, most are fit to be discarded. Like someone else already pointed out, this is a particular subforum with this particular activity in mind. Those who don't want to adhere to the timelines at all can stick to the other subforums. Above all, honesty about the time and process used should be posted along with the sketch. Daily sketch is all about learning, process, experimentation, exercise.

Anyways I'm preaching to the choir, but definitely don't take away the "encouraged" time limits. Strictness about the time is not necessary, but having time limits is, otherwise we learn less and not as often.

Maybe more important than time is how to make a distinction for beginners/advanced sketchers. What would help beginners improve their skills faster and feel not so horrible about their skills, what would make this more of a challenge for advanced users?

I liked the idea of a similar function to the "like" button as used on facebook, but then that would turn it into a popularity contest. What about things like "honorable mention" or "most improved".

I'm sharing my opinions way too much for someone who has not contributed any actual work so I'll stop here. Rooting for you all, and love it that you people are here and as passionate about this as ever =).

Old 03 March 2011   #34
Thanks for your honesty,

I will pass your comments to the forum administrators.

-R

Old 12 December 2011   #35
I just posted my first sketch after what appears to be a two year absence and I have to say I'm surprised as to how quiet the forum is. I know my discipline is lacking here, but it seems like I'm not the only one.

I was/am attracted to this forum because in my opinion it's meant to focus on the discipline of sketching on a daily basis. But after reading some of the threads and seeing some of the posts, it seems to be all about trying to post works that are as close to finished as possible. Which in return brings in the time debate as people start to compare themselves and vote for the 'best' sketch.

I think this is defeating the purpose of the forum.

I don't think the time limits and the voting should go (it's part of the discipline and feedback), but I do think there should be a redirect of focus to make this a daily sketch forum, first and foremost.

This to me means that it should be friendly enough that absolute newbies can post and be forgiving enough that you can post something horribly unfinished at the time limit and then post the follow up without feeling bad about it.

I think there should be room that when you post your sketch, you can ask for some advice or explain a technique that you were trying out. You know, give back to the community instead of crossing your fingers and hoping you will be picked sketch of the week.

I have a lot of respect for people like Creeto, who have been posting regularly for over two years now. I'm no way near that level of talent, (hey, I'm one step removed from stick figures), but there should be room for people like me. People who need to be sketching on a daily basis to get better.

And I hope more people throw their inhibitions out the door and start posting more.

I say let's get posting... let's share, let's laugh at our horrible attempts and let's learn from one another.

Lastly, thanks to Roberto Ortiz for keeping this forum alive. It's quite a commitment after all these years and I think he's done a great job!!

Thanks

Old 12 December 2011   #36
Thanks for your postrigiclimber!

Old 12 December 2011   #37
I noticed others such as myself without many posts to our name, but with heartfelt appreciation for this thread and what its done for as long as we have visited this site.

It says on the side here when I registered(2004 apparently, yikes!), but I remember reading about the Matrix on this site (Thanks for dating me 10th year anniversary special...) and I don't remember CGtalk without thinking of the DSF.

I (like a couple others) have always wanted to participate but never felt they had the skill or even patience too. But now my life has turned around towards art and I find my Wacom ever more close to me. When I came back into lurking the DSF with intentions of joining the fray, than the comments by fellows with such similar dispositions as I, there was no choice when it came to throwing in my two cents.

I have thoughts of a separate "award" for best criticism, or something along those lines. Like a once a month thing where someone of impeccable niceness gets a little extra love for being just so damn nice.

Secondly I like the thought of instead of a subject, a grouping of colours, or shapes for us to sketch against. A kind of Exquisite corpse exercise if you will.

Thanks for hearing me out!
-Always Lurking...

Old 12 December 2011   #38
Originally Posted by Angelbait:
I have thoughts of a separate "award" for best criticism, or something along those lines. Like a once a month thing where someone of impeccable niceness gets a little extra love for being just so damn nice.

Secondly I like the thought of instead of a subject, a grouping of colours, or shapes for us to sketch against. A kind of Exquisite corpse exercise if you will.

-Always Lurking...

Great Ideas!

Old 12 December 2011   #39
The "award" for best criticism idea makes me think of how Amazon reviews are rated as useful or not useful. I love how at first glance, you can see best supportive and best critical review. I use that feature all the time when investigating products. Just adding to the pot of resources or inspiration if coding commences to implement this feature. Not that coding is neccesary or that it should be done this way. Definitely like this idea though. Giving good constructive feedback is not easy & takes a lot of energy.
Attached Images
File Type: png amazon.png (23.3 KB, 12 views)

Old 05 May 2012   #40
i haven't posted here in forever but i still visit and i look at all the submissions. but i want to chime in on restrictions.

i personally like restrictions because they provide structure and focus which makes it easier to start a drawing. so i would like to suggest more restrictions in addition to the topics, for example; a style, medium or genre. i wouldn't suggest they be mandatory, just as an extra guideline and maybe only done twice per month.

other than that it is still a joy to watch the happenings in these forum even tho it has become very slow. i myself got a child now and time seems to be fleeting and i find it hard to participate anymore.

Old 05 May 2012   #41
Thanks for the post...

Old 08 August 2012   #42
Yes

Howdy. I just want to put in a vote to keep this forum alive and promise to be an active participant. I'm relatively new to CGSociety and when I initially joined to host my portfolio here, I didn't have much time to participate because I was working like 12 jobs at once. My work load has since lightened up, and I'm making an active stab at putting aside a little time every day to make art that is just for my own personal practice and style and not for a job or for self-promotion purposes. DSF will be a valuable way for me to get that daily exercise in, so I'll do my part to participate as much as I can.

Old 08 August 2012   #43
Welcome to the fold!

Old 01 January 2014   #44
I've been away for many years and was excited to return again. Daily Sketch Forum has been such a powerful source for inspiration, encouragement and exercise with a delightful crowd. I really hope I can help to put some life back into it.
I miss all the peeps from the past and I kind of wonder what happened to the CG world? Even if the old guys got tired of it, wouldn't there be a massive new crowd to recognize the power of this thread for themselves?

Anyway, Robert, I'm grateful you do your best to keep the ball rolling. I'm sure it's not easy on you either to see this jewel of a place so vacant. I don't know, if it means anything to you, but I'm very happy you do what you do and will try not to let you down again. Heck, I don't know why I dropped out back then... must've gotten too swamped with work, as most may have been.

Thank you, Robert!

Old 06 June 2014   #45
Hi everyone,

I feel guilty for being away again like that and puzzled that everyone seems to have buzzed off pretty quickly again, too.
In my defense, I've been busy with projects and Verve development, which will be going on indefinitely, considering how much fun that it. I've started my own forum for it, which came alive beautifully and is going stronger and stronger. But that keeps me away from here even more. To make matters worse, I've started my own daily sketch section there, too, but with focus on Verve, of course. It's fun to see this flourish and I understand Robert's enthusiasm all the more right now, while I admire his stamina all the more as well.
I don't know how it is for you, but I've made a little collage for every day with some of the essential entries and a link to the respective day. I find it very motivating to see those. I believe, if Robert had something like that prominently visible once it would add a good kicker, too. Seems so empty here at CGSociety's DSF to see a forum just plastered with ads rather than a single piece of art of ours.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten or willfully abandoned this place again.

I also think part of the reason for why it went dry again are some of the topics. The whole "fan art" stuff was a bit too much, I think. And when you start missing a day, the motivation kind of dwindles. Also the Avatar Wars were such a blast and really got some momentum, if I remember correctly. Pity those never popped up again.

This is not a "post mortem", haha, but rather a: "Hey, you guys just lit the house on fire...keep it going!"

reply share thread