CgTalk Daily Sketch 281 "Mordor"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
thanks Ephesus for good words
I really love Fnote's image - great atmosphere and superb colors, as well as Novocaine's piece.

03 March 2005
Some excellent images guys and gals WOW!

Heres mine 30min/wacom/photoshop

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

03 March 2005
hi.. this is my first screen post.

postmodern mordor

10 min photoshop+wacom.

Last edited by cengizakin : 03 March 2005 at 08:44 PM.

03 March 2005
The eye of Sauron was never in the books? Dangit. I haven't gotten that far yet. oh well.

The great thing about using the films as influence is that the films were so sweeping and epic, it really kinda, in a weird way allows a person to have their own interpritation of the way Mordor would look in their minds eye.

...does that make sense or am I rambling?

03 March 2005
First time ... and I'm late :(
about 60 minutes PS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mordor.jpg (70.4 KB, 156 views)

03 March 2005
my 5000 cents

Hi!
As i have a little time, I comment on your great sketches.
Ashwin911. Nice sketch, may be adding contrast will add strength to it.
JVaughan. Cool volcano, I love the way you draw. Big fan.
Candaloo. The lighting effect on the eye holder rocks. Maybe lacking some texture on the background.
ebr. amazing landscape, full of depth and a great color choice.
squibbit. I like the gollum but I don´t understand the perspective (I´m sure it´s me because of lack of sleep or something)
Martin_B. Great colors, good sketch!
Cyanid. Good one! love the textures and the shines/ light reflections.
Ephesus. Thank you very much, yours is very nice, with a lot of depth and misty environment.
Fnote. Love the color scheme and the vertical strokes really help the composition.
Festz. I find the sky too flat and equal, but the lighting is very nice and the colours too.
Herod. Nice textures, and the skeleton is definately a "touch".
Plagiarism. Wow!
Deaderthanred. Thank you, you all helps me a lot! I like the way you have defined everything with few strokes. It rocks!
Sonianotred. That eye is freaking me... I like the graphic look of the mountain.
DeviousDerek. I agree with SoniaNotRed, the pose is very dynamic but the background is a little distracting.
Robert.
MysteriousX. that pencil is cool. nice sketch.
Novocaine. I would have expected a different colour scheme but the drawing is completely awesome.
Gaunt man. Nice composition.
Matias J. I love that blurry look that puts you in the (creepy voice) "where am I?" mood.
Epiphany. That smoke is great, rich and dense.
Rustbucket. I like the way you make the viewer go through the image, nice composition.
Daw. Maybe the lighting should affect more to the visible face of the mountain. but I like it anyway, I like those big strokes on the sky.
Augustus. Great drawing as always.
Jannis. I like the perspective, I find it interesting since I just make everything flat.
Element5. Love those lava rivers.
Sogan-rendered. Fresh and nice style, very graphic.
mo-pic. Welcome, good sketch. Keep posting.

and... thank you atma-weapon, I really try.

In short: Keep posting! good sketches! great landscapes! amazing characters!
I want more!

03 March 2005
thanks for the crit bealbo. Ive been struggling with that background. I orignally wanted to project the figure forward with those strong ligth behind him, but i guess the strokes interrupted that. So, i went back and muted the colors even more and brought out the blur tool to soften those harsh strokes. I think it may have worked, im not sure tho. Ive been looking at it for so long that i have no problem reading the image.

03 March 2005
- you are probably right about that bealobo, and thanks for the comments

03 March 2005
Thanks, bealobo. I must confess that eye has been freaking me out too - I just HATE the way it looks plastered over the background!! LOL!
I'll try to post another (hopefully better) version of that pic.

I see you're now working on your textures. I'm curious to see how that develops.

03 March 2005
this was a quick sketch I did today while I was bored at class...
Today there was a full page in the newspaper coloured in red (an advertisement of some kind) and I doodled this with a pen over it...

it's not a great drawing, but a sketch is a sketch anyway... (those 2 white spots in the bottom left are supposed to be hobbits hiding under a rock)

good work everyone! Novocaine, I love that one!

03 March 2005
SoniaNotRed: yeah I´m starting with textures too, but there are so many things to be aware of that I´ll have to practise a lot before I can handle them naturally. So, maybe one sketch will have colors and volumes but no textures, another one will have lines and composition, another one ... hehehhe I also want to see how it develops before I come crazy.

Hey Elmasfeo, nice to see you again but you know... in class you must listen and so... and not sketching :P just joking!

03 March 2005
bealobo: hehe, i thought i was the only one who is crazy enough to comment so many people. I think i sneakily updated my piccie three times already (i always see a flaw which is both a blessing as a curse), but its good to hear compliments. I dont think your work is flat. Imho, yer lil doodle looks impressive for such a short time. I really need to improve in speeding... Anyway thanks for the comment.

03 March 2005
Mount doom calls us...

PS 35minutes

03 March 2005
Mordor

45 mins, reference for the horse, photoshop
------------------------------------------

i had to choose between the love-topic and mordor and of course i took the last one...
you've submitted so much great sketches, but i don't have the time to give comments on everyones pics, i'm very sorry...

one last thing: @Plagiarism: your sketch has a very nice overall-look, it reminds me on the illustrations of a children-book i once had.... is this the "typical" gimp look or was it done on purpose...?

best wishes

Salamander

03 March 2005
Novacaine: That's just too good! Any chance to see further work on it?
SalamanderCoral: I just love your style. So simple yet so effective.
Oh, and daw and JVaughan: So much power in those sketches, I can feel the earth tremble!
Good job everyone, keep it up!
I hope we have more LOTR topics in the future. I couldn't miss this one, as the Tolkien freak I am. To hell with the final I have on thursday! This is funnier than kinetic gas theory!

Photoshop/Wacom/2 hrs

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/4061/mordor27wu.jpg

EDIT: Added the flying fell beast

Last edited by Jasel : 03 March 2005 at 10:48 PM.

Thread Closed share thread