FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2005
I have been planning on joining the daily sketch group since some time now.
There were two points that kept me from doing so just yet:

a) I am working 100% and hardly find the time to work on my "normal" paintings. This will change at the start of the next month though and I will have 100% time to paint (omg YAY!!!)

b) I am pretty hesitant to post art in general (even if it might not look like it) and a I am a crappy sketcher/speedpainter all together..

However it IS the best practice one can possible get I guess..so..I might still give it a go anytime soon..

My website

03 March 2005
So, can you submit sketches for previous days? It seems like the days I have time to try out my new Wacom are the days when the subjects don't peak my interest. I'm definitely going to give this a shot, though. I do graphic design for a living, but it's been ages since I just drew/painted for my own purposes. And I just got my new toy the other day, so I need to start practicing with it.

03 March 2005
new to cgtalk

Hi all, I am new to cgtalk and besides being blown away by the art work here, I am felling very unworthy to be part of this forum. still everyone seems courteous. so I would like to join the sketch group to get some practice in. I am a bit lost to how things work. How can I join and where do I post the sketch?

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by digitalkarma: I would like to join the sketch group to get some practice in. I am a bit lost to how things work. How can I join and where do I post the sketch?

You head on over to the sketchgroup sub forum in the "W.i.p. 2D" section which lives here..
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Then you do some doodles loosely based around whatever the topic is and post them in the thread.

If you don't have a website to upload your sketches you can use a free host like imageshack
http://imageshack.us/

-Steve

04 April 2005
So... there's no memberlist or anything? You just post what you can whip up and you're considered "in" the daily sketch group?

I really enjoy it. It's a great idea, and I hope you don't mind me stealing it for a different art forum I go to... (sig)

04 April 2005
Hexaditidom I will hunt you down like a dog...!

Oh sorry I meant, No problem!

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

04 April 2005
I'm with stupidkiwi on not being sure what topic is open. When I come to CGTalk I look for information fast. I've found that the Daily Sketch is not something that I could easily dive into without browsing it at length first. I'm just being lazy I guess.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by Gamoron: I'm with stupidkiwi on not being sure what topic is open. When I come to CGTalk I look for information fast. I've found that the Daily Sketch is not something that I could easily dive into without browsing it at length first. I'm just being lazy I guess.

The section is a bit swamped by other threads, so it might not be the easy to figure out where to start.

The easiest way to spot the "open" thread is to look for something called CgTalk Daily Sketch XXX ... where XXX is the highest number. This is the most recent thread, and posting there that day will get you the most feedback. You can also choose to do those from a few days back, since no topic is every really closed. But if it's feedback you're looking for, join in on the most recent one.

05 May 2005
Well, like some said before me, the problem is that I'm not very good at drawing. Not only that I barely have drawing skills, I completely lack any painting skills.

While it may be called 'sketch group' I find the images in it extremely high quality and not sketchy at all, also most of them include painting (also in a very high quality IMO).
I just can't make anything which seem to fit the group's standarts (yet).

However, the DSG did help me alot to improve my drawing skills and was also was one of the main catalysts for me to start developing any drawing skills in the first place (a month ago I couldn't draw anything, today I draw things I never thought I'll be able to).

For now I'll stick with practicing my drawing skills until I'll think I'm good enough to join, until then I'll participate by watching and voting for other peoples' work (while trying to learn from them).

05 May 2005
I've been on the verge of joining a few times, but there have been a few reasons that made me not do it:

Firstly, I sketch a lot in my sketch book, and I can't be bothered to scan everything in; Yes - pure laziness. And my Wacom sketching abilities aren't anywhere near what I can do with pen and paper, so that is a big part of it.

Secondly:

Originally Posted by stupidkiwi: I find it hard to figure which is the current topic.

Originally Posted by Gamoron: I'm with stupidkiwi on not being sure what topic is open. When I come to CGTalk I look for information fast. I've found that the Daily Sketch is not something that I could easily dive into without browsing it at length first. I'm just being lazy I guess.

I agree, and let me add how that particular subforum comes across as very unorganised and confusing in general. There is no stickied thread with rules or anything (at one point I was looking all over cgtalk for one), and that may also give you the feeling there's this "secretly initiated clique" in there. It is one of the reasons I never bothered with it.

(to be fair though, I'm missing rules for other CGT forums as well...)

If you don't want to lock threads, I'd suggest that the threads be sorted in chronological order, like in the "finished art" forums. That would enable people to keep entering sketches for old threads without messing things up.

Thirdly; I'm split over the fact that the daily sketches are contenders for frontpage material. That immediately makes it a contest, and while it may scare away "junk posters", it probably scares away a lot of serious aspiring artists as well. It also makes it tempting for participants to dress up the "time completed" figures for things they really worked all night on. It would just feel like unhealthy competition, and that is sort of unfit for a daily sketch forum, IMO. I'm convinced there are more people than myself that would feel the pressure to "create amazing art" every time, and be scared away for that reason.

EDIT: This is speaking volumes in regards to this:
Originally Posted by Rani: While it may be called 'sketch group' I find the images in it extremely high quality and not sketchy at all, also most of them include painting (also in a very high quality IMO). I just can't make anything which seem to fit the group's standarts (yet).

A stickied "Rules and FAQ" thread would probably help a lot in steering more people into the daily sketch group. That is my opinion at least.

Last edited by Sunbane : 05 May 2005 at 01:51 PM.

05 May 2005
Well, I kept seeing the "join us in the Daily Sketch Forum" so thought.. hey, that sounds like good practice, because my sketching skills are not the greatest. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable throwing up crappy sketches in a forum that someone said "competes for front page" quality. Hey. maybe we could start a "crappy but I'm learning to sketch" forum..

05 May 2005
Red face

Hi Everyone, I am interested & curious in the sketch groups but I need a mentor or guide. I'm new,new,new....to computers,the web,etc. This is the first fourm I've joined and I want to learn. What do I do and where do I go? Is a dail up connection good enough?

I've been a member for a month and am still somewhat unsure of myself. Would my warm up doodles on the tablet qualify as a sketch? I do lack confidence but that's probably because I'm a beginner.

I'm serious about learning and want to have fun learning at the same time. This is the place.

I still have to learn how to upload stuff and.... Onward.

05 May 2005
There's seems to be a lot of people here worried about competition...

I've joined the DSG in January and drop by almost everyday and I don't think we're competing for anything (at least 98% of us aren't ). If you check the daily threads, you'll see a few incredible pics but mostly you'll see a lot of doodles - drawn or painted - just for exercise or just the fun of it.

Most of the "competition", I think, is about who comes up with the wackiest idea!

I usually post some really crappy sketches and I'm still around.

05 May 2005
I concur with Sonia - the one who is not red. Once a week I try to at least do smoething time consuming for DSG- but usually they're just silly doodles that I do for laughs. The whole point of the thing is just to have fun and appeal to your inner kindergartner.

05 May 2005
heyheyhey.
ive posted in the dsg a few times but cant seem to stick at it. i even tried to start doing a self portrait everyday but a tight hand in for university broke the habit a week ago and i havnt done one since. too disorganised and unmotivated i guess.
also the whole issue of competition is weird. i would sometimes roll in and see an awesome sketch that was gonna be a contender for sketch of the week and not bother posting because of it. Tho i realise the whole point of the dsg, and see some of the 8minte sketches that prove the happy go lucky attitude of all the forum members i guess i lacked the confidence to be putting my work out there. I wanted someone to comment on my work and when they didnt after a few times attempting i wasnt sure what that meant so started aiming for votes.
I know its silly! problem was my head not the dsg setup.

my confidence has been boosted recently by pulling out some PHYSICAL ACRYLICS >gasp< so i might be back soon. hopefully.
but i think DSG is an AWESOME thing.
i love that it gets front page recognition and i commend roberto and all those involved who manage to keep at it so consistently.
yah you guys
and see you soon

and remember everyone - its not about competing, its about turning up at the page and creating.

reply share thread