RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Ok talk to me guys....(No topic Today, Lets talk)

We are promoting on facebook, and Twitter.
and we are getting the hits, but people seem afraid to post.
Why?
And wat can we do do make posting more fun?
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Sazem
Lord of the posts

Sampo Pesonen
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Sazem
Hard to say... I think people follow people and when there is only few, the others dont come neither? Or they all have some facebook dailysketch groups etc?

I personally been really busy this summer and I havent been even home lately. In summer time its harder to just find the time.

Im out of ideas.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Myridiphis
Frequenter

portfolio
Pavel Zak
iOS developer
Brno, Czech Republic

I dont know,

I am not very regular visitor myself, I have troubles to find time for sketching, also I spent some time on some FB sketch groups, which I really enjoyed (to be honest, I enjoyed it more than DSF), but getting some serious feedback there is impossible, so I have returned here.

When I registered here a couple years ago, this forum was full of active people, each topic had several pages of posts and It was great fun to participate and confront own ideas with others.

I think that this sort of forum is a bit of history. People like to use FB forums, because it is much easier to use, upload, browse photos etc.

My GoT themed blog

Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myridiphis
I dont know,

I am not very regular visitor myself, I have troubles to find time for sketching, also I spent some time on some FB sketch groups, which I really enjoyed (to be honest, I enjoyed it more than DSF), but getting some serious feedback there is impossible, so I have returned here.

When I registered here a couple years ago, this forum was full of active people, each topic had several pages of posts and It was great fun to participate and confront own ideas with others.

I think that this sort of forum is a bit of history. People like to use FB forums, because it is much easier to use, upload, browse photos etc.

We are posting topics on facebook.
And we are getting THOUSANDS of hits on the facebook forum. But few post over there either.

-R

Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
mloranc
Picking back up
portfolio
Mike Loranc
Modeling Generalist/Characters
United%2BStates

I've been meaning to do these but as the other guys said, it's been hard to find time in the summer. Just too much to do!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Dargon
Alias: Clockwork Beetle

portfolio
David Clement
Art Director
Ubisoft
Shanghai, China

Send a message via ICQ to Dargon Send a message via MSN to Dargon
For myself:

I only post when there's a magical confluence of:

I have time
I like the topic
The time limit's not so short (or the NTL posts)

I don't really like the time limits actually, I'm not that quick a sketcher, and if I'm going to post I'd rather be happy with the results. Sometimes I have an idea for the topic, but it will include 2 or more characters and I can't really bang that out in 35 minutes.

I'd rather see people's sketches that they're proud of too.

From my experience in running social apps:

Like any social app or website, it's better if there's more people, and it's more social. If there's at least 10 people posting every time I bet there would be a lot of people who'd be more brave to post.

So to that end, you could look at it in one of a couple ways:

Generally incentivise people:

• Give some sort of prize (real or virtual) for best sketch or most improved or posting often (especially posting often, you want to use prizes to reinforce the behavior that you're trying to illicit)
  • Exposure - This used to end up on the front page, that is good, or on the Facebook/Twitter/Pintrest/Whatever account. Or loop in professionals to see.
  • On that note, if potential employers were on the forum, that might get people sketching, especially if you could get feedback. It would be really cool if the concept artist from (insert AAA game here) was able to give occasional feedback
  • Maybe frequent contributors could get free views of the CGWorkshops, or failing that there's other websites out there that offer online courses too. Maybe some cross promotion would help
Or falsely inflate your numbers to look popular:
  • Get some of your friends to post everyday for a while
  • Incentivise (see above for examples) certain key people to post everyday for a while
Or work on the social side. As far as I know, no one who regularly visits this page is part of any sort of social group. Maybe we can find a way to be more social - chat, share work or ideas...

Anyways, that's just a barrage of ideas, apparently I'm bored enough today to type but not to draw (but I have been ZSketching!)

Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Welkyna
Frequenter

portfolio
Julia Fahrentholz
Welkyna.com
Kanata, Canada

I never meant to disappear. I started doing some anatomy studies for a bit, but then I got invited to work on a project outside my full time job - so I haven't had time. Any sketching has been related that.

Also, the time limits make me nervous. I'm so slow! I like when there's a wide range in time limits - gives me something to shoot for.
Also, I'm shy. Half the time I'm like - Oh no! I let people see that.
Yeah, when there's a more social atmosphere; I get more comfortable to come out.

I want to boost my skills
Me:(without DSF) I suck. I hate everything. Trash it.
Me:(after I sketch here) This is great! I can paint. Look at those pretty dots! La-la-la!
I love coming here and seeing what everybody is doing though.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Ok some notes..
* Ok promotion is no problem since we got now a direct line to the facebook group.
* Time Limits seem to be a problem. Ok I can do away with those.
* A suggestion has been made to do again contests.. OK
* Rewards should be something to consider. OK good idea

There is more, but I havea horrible project in AE that I need to finish today.

Keep the comments flowing guys.

-R

Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
stridiggio
...painting

portfolio
david L reyes
Concept Designer
Bogotá, Colombia

Hey, I love the DSG forum more than other sites despity than I don't participate in it too much,,it help me a lot to improve and learn,,,mistake by mistake,,,but I have my reasons, since there is a little fellows involved into this, I feel sometimes terrible thinking about than posting each day will be like make spam (I'm also shy seriously), and thought that people will finally ending up hating you just because you are posting your sketches every day, don't get me wrong but I don't feel comfortable seen my nickname in each thread and no more than one or two more fellows here,..and thought I'm not the only one looking the number of people than see the threads lately....I wish all af them will be posting too...
No suggestions since I'm not a social media guy...

Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
elmo3d
wasssup

portfolio
Adam Musialowicz
Bialystok, Poland

hi guys

I'm not a frequenter and if I post I rarely stick to time constraints, but I'm not happy with that. I wish I sketched more and quicker, fit into time limit but I usually get into cleaning and detailing and that's my case. I guess it's my own personal problem with this forum since I started to treat it as some sort of personal gallery. Always tried to post something valuable, and often tend to keep things hiden on my drive as they're not good enough to post.
I think time limit is important - it shows ourself what we are capable of in given time. From this point of view I am aware of my abilities and in day time job I'm not aiming to high as my sketching/drawing/digital painting skills are not professional. I understand everyone here is for different reason. Not everyone looks for improving skills - some of us are here just to sketch with others, some are for just for fun of being here, some like to see what others can come up with. I search for inspiration and seeing guys all your good pieces here motivate me to draw/sketch at all. The other thing is when you see noone is posting you discourage to post yourself, or worse if you posted and you were the only one you most propably will eventually stop posting in near future. Having someone to exchange the experience is the core of running any type of forum.
Another thing is I tend to abandon topics as they are becoming old - somethimes I have an idea of what to sketch but have no time to do it actually, and finally when I have time (weekend) the topic gets old, new ones appear and I loose interest. Maybe we could have topics created on a specific day, all seven (selected by voting or generated) and keep them active for a week. This way everyone could pick a topic that suits him/her in a convenient time and post. This way we could return to voting for best sketch, award those who filled most of topics etc..

Old 07-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
TheTaron
Insanetizer

portfolio
Timur"Taron"Baysal
Croatia

I should at least say something here, too, I think. The major reason for why I went offline was that I took on too many things and just used every "free" minute for another one of the things I took on. When ever I checked in here, I just saw many topics that didn't speak to me or were recent repetitions more or less. But worst of all... the forum just seems numb. I started my own forum for Verve and it's quite vibrant. Even with only a few people, who are truly regulars, there's a heck of a lot of life and people get to see their work featured, feel like they are part of something, because they truly are.
I remember it used to feeling that way here, too...but that's a very, very long time ago. The stepchildish feeling of it as it is now really doesn't tickle any urgency to risk spending time for it.

I'm really sorry about this, I really am.

The way I have it in my forum now, topics are not so much "daily topics" that would feel like a train running away, but I post new topics as soon as enough people have posted work on the latest one. But I also invite people to post on any topic and they do. It's really very relaxed and fills up gradually and beautifully. Don't hold back, if you want to try out Verve, naturally, hehehe, but yeah... don't mean to plug anything, but I'm just saying: If there is no feeling of urgency, go with it rather than pushing new topics every single day with nobody participating. It's what makes it look so dead, too.

I rather see 5 topics with 20 replies than 20 topics with 5 replies.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Yo be fair guys, it is not an issue of trying to use guilt on potential members into joining.
I have to offer something here that both the old and new members wants.
That of course means change or die.
Of course the market has changed, fair enough, sow how do we reach to those new members?

What can we offer them that would motivate them to post.

I am picking your brains for ideas. Thanks to all who have posted so far.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
laurghita
Frequenter

portfolio
Laurentiu Ghita
Home
Craiova, Romania

There was in the past sotw on the banner with link to the thread location of the sketch. You personally can chose one from past week on various reasons, quality is just one but not necessary. No voting on beginning we trust yours judgment.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

Just curious, could someone supply a link to the Facebook page for Daily Sketch? I'm having problems finding it.

Also, I kind of like the idea of no time limits. It's not really a race or competition and it's not measured or recorded in any way. Personally, if I can produce something on a daily basis, I feel I have accomplished something.

HelzerSketch Blog

Last edited by danielh68 : 07-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Sazem
Lord of the posts

Sampo Pesonen
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Sazem
I never had issue with the timelimit but I never actually really followed it too much. I always kept it more as an guide.

Taron was right with the amount of topics vs entries... maybe there should be less topics per week?... So we would have more entries at the same topic and then people would sketch more too? what you guys think? (Sketch of the week??)

The front page thing was nice years ago with the winner, but now days I dont follow the frontpage either, I have dailysketch part favorited and I always come here straight with that...

reply share thread