CGS DSF 3637 50 MN "The Mist"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2014   #1
CGS DSF 3637 50 MN "The Mist"

Guys don't forget to post:
END OF THE MONTH GALLERY: May - 2014- Post your Artwork

NOTE: I am re-posting the topics on TWITTER:
https://twitter.com/RobertoOrtiz_CG

ANYONE CAN POST

* You have 5om for your your sketch. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , it is Ok.
* You may post a drawing at ANY TIME.
* ou may Sketch in ANY MEDIUM, digital or traditional.
* You may also re-post a copy of your finished drawing a this forum:
Member SKETCH Collection
* Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
* Only final pieces can be posted on the thread.
* They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.

NOTE: The forum WILL RESIZE your image. but you may post a direct link to a high resolution version of your drawing
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2014   #2

"The Mist" Photoshop - 40mn.

@nucron: oh thank you so much for your comment and crit I appreciate it, and agree..cheers.

Last edited by stridiggio : 07 July 2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: comments

Old 06 June 2014   #3
Uptown

Old 06 June 2014   #4
hey guys, nice entries. this is certainly a topic that can go a lot of different ways.

@stridiggio:
I like the colors you're using here. are those tentacles in the background? wisps of smoke? there's definitely a sense of mystery and the unknown. also the strong contrast of the darker foreground creates a nice illusion of depth. I found it a bit funny that one of the characters seems to be using binoculars in such a thick fog--or maybe it's special equipment to see through the mist? from the standpoint of composition, one crit I have is that maybe the boat is a little too close to the lower edge of the frame. I think you could have stronger impact if you "zoomed out" a bit and put more water in the foreground between the viewer and the boat. it might help convey the "isolation" the characters are experiencing. but that's just a small thing and only my opinion--overall nice work on this piece, keep it up!

@netsteel:
this picture has a nice feel to it. it does indeed remind me of a misty morning in the city. I like how you have the buildings in the background fading into the slightly blown-out sky. I think you could have even pushed this effect further by making the buildings further back lighter so that there is more contrast for foreground buildings. this would really help to sell the fact that this urban sprawl goes on into the distance and isn't just a couple of rows of buildings. another easy fix that I think could really help is to make the foreground buildings have slightly more defined edges. right now, since everything is almost uniformly blurred it seems more like I'm looking at the city through frosted glass as opposed to seeing through a haze that progressively builds up along the z-axis. of course, take these suggestions with a grain of salt, since I don't know what you were going for artistically. like I was saying, the painting does convey an interesting mood. hope to see you keep on sketching!

Old 06 June 2014   #5
@Nucron: Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the guidance. I'm still really new at all this and don't really know what I'm doing yet. I still feel limited by the tools I'm using, and I'm trying to get to know them better. I also find it difficult to flesh out more than a blurry mess in the time allotted, another thing I am trying to work on. I need a lot more study in so many areas.

Old 06 June 2014   #6
nucron thanks for your feedback!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07 July 2014   #7
just 10 mins, playing with the laso tool in PS

btw Nucron - I like how detailed your feedback is. Thumbs up!

My GoT themed blog

reply share thread