CHANGES and the future of the "UGAC" [for all of us]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2007
please bring back the game art challenges!!! :(

Or should we maybe start one ourselves... just to see if there are still people willing to be involved?

And possibly a deadline that is one week after the third finished submission or something... that way there is at least always some challenge.
And as topics we can just follow the MGAC like past weeks... very open topics (make something dirty, something that contains something, something that was big in the eighties, something black and white) those are cool and wide open to interpretation. I for one have had alot of fun trying out the assignments from past challenges... and have fond memories of the shiny vehicle challenge for instance. And the ulimate crate was also great!

So for a new GAC I bring forth the topic: make a Doomsday Device!

So if there are still people willing to do a game art challenge speak up! And maybe that way we can try our hand once more on a GameArtChallenge!

The Earth is round...
Like a pancake!! -makes circling motion with hand-

06 June 2007
i can start it up again, but every time i did in the past, there wasn't much of a turn out.

i'm all for getting it going again!

06 June 2007
That's why I replied to this thread... I want to know if there are still people willing to join in on the fun. I think Sordid wants to join us and i saw that novak002 also wanted to do something... It's a shame that this challenge is empty and almost dead.

That's also why I suggested the variable deadline (for instance 3 submissions).

I think last time the UGAC started anew it had to much theory behind it... and it should be fun and simple.

The thing is; this portion of cgtalk needs at least an active assignment... even if no one is interested or finishes in time. If only to inspire everyone that idlely dwells by.

Come on people you know you don't want the Game Art Challenge to Die B)

The Earth is round...
Like a pancake!! -makes circling motion with hand-

06 June 2007
Thank you for the e-mail. Im in, just for the sake of thaking charge of the destiny of UGAC!

06 June 2007
You can count me in!

06 June 2007
Hello, just thought i would add my two sense into this. I am always interested in the unofficial game challenges, and unfortunately due to some draw backs have never really been able to try a challenge.

I would say one thing that puts me off, is there never seems like there is anything in the thread. I can't see any threads from the previous challenges for instance the collusus ones. It just seems like a dead thread with nothing really going on. It needs to be bumped with some sort of activity, or at least the traces of one.

I mean this is really the only thread on CG that i can think off, that really can answer questions just about game modelling and texturing.

Thats what i have, hope that helps.

EDIT: Ok i take that back i just noticed the archive, but the first page i think needs some posts, even if its to answer questions about game related issues.

06 June 2007
so i'm thinking of posting the UGAC thread in the game art forum, then using this forum to house everyone's WIP threads.

this way, the UGAC gets more views. we can have everyone post 1 pic and a link to their WIP threads in 1 UGAC thread [posted in the game art forum].

make sense?

06 June 2007
Yup, that wil work. Maybe try to get some more attention by putting it on the front page?

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by Sordid23: Yup, that wil work. Maybe try to get some more attention by putting it on the front page?

all the UGACs have been plugged on the front page and they will continue to.

07 July 2007
Id love to see a theme contest. the Zelda theme sound great. But it shouldnt be limited to characters,objects,etc that are currently in all Zelda games, you should let artist create/design their own character, given that it could fit into the Zelda world.

-character models can work on characters (i always wanted to re-design Link and many other characters)

-level modelers can focus on level design
-prop artist can focus on creating props.

poly limit can be set pretty high, if you want to base it off of Crysis engine :

Characters
As we are using attachments we have to split the triangle numbers in the separate parts:
* Heads 3k triangles
* Body 5k triangles
* Attachments 1 k triangles

http://www.obsidianedge.net/index.p...d=93&Itemid=172

Between 5K - 8K for the character would be doable on all next generation console/PC.

Last edited by Sonk : 07 July 2007 at 01:32 AM.

07 July 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread