CHANGES and the future of the "UGAC" [for all of us]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
i like the idea of just using a theme. makes you think more and opens it up for anyone. BUT, the is GAME ART. the only people in a game studio who don't have limitation are the concept artists. what makes the best game studios "the best" is that they are able to make stunning game art while staying within the limits of their game engine.

was is such a big deal to see a Pixar character with hair? no, not really. but when you first saw that fighting game with that character who had unbelievable hair your jaw dropped. you can do anything in a 3d program. pulling off the same thing in a game engine is an accomplishment.

we have to have limitations.

and yes, sometimes there will be challenges you don't like. and sometimes, the game studio your working on will start a game your not to crazy about.

i want to use the theme concept, but we need rules. i want to make the rules feel more like guidelines then strict rules.

01 January 2007
I know what your sayin heavyness...Without guidlines things tend to get out of control...that coupled with the fact that yes there will always be a project that your not thrilled with and that is understandable...but again i think we hit a good idea with the whole theme idea and having multiple projects based around that theme if we could get people to judge and monitor the different projects within each theme example would be again saying here is an idea for a level design in and then saying we have this concept of what the world is now character designers create a player or npc that might be involved in this world that the level designing gurus are creating lol...just a thought

01 January 2007
Thumbs up

theming weeks/months is a great idea. it sounds fun and it would give people a chance to see what it's like to work with a certain game for a while until moving on to the next one.

01 January 2007
hey, i know we wouldn't be able to do this for a while, but it sounds really fun, and it's something we should think about...

how about we have the ultimate/super/mega game art challenge, alongside the mgac and the ugac? it might sound stupid at first, but here's the idea: the challenge lasts one year. (or less, depending on how long everyone thinks it should take). you can decide if you want to be in a group, or work alone. the actual challenge is to create a trailer/introduction of a videogame (like something is seen at E3). the video will be around 5 minutes long, and i'd say 2 of those minutes have to be showing actual gameplay/lowpoly characters. with the rest of the 3 minutes they can show whatever they want, such as highpoly sequences, storyline explanation by the creators, etc.. the ideas have to be completely your own, but maybe certain things will be aloud, like a game based off of a fairy tale.

01 January 2007
an announcement on the next "challenge" will hopefully be posted here shortly after the current challenge is over. maybe a small one [MGAC].

this new challenges will [i think] help us as a community and give us time to re-organize the UGAC system and get us back into the swing of things.

if you have more idea, please post them. thanks for all the ideas so far. before i make any "major" changes, i will, or course, bring them before you all.

Last edited by heavyness : 01 January 2007 at 06:13 AM.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by heavyness: an announcement on the next "challenge" will hopefully be posted here in the next couple days.
Can you give us some preview of what to expect?

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by Swizzle: Can you give us some preview of what to expect?

sorry, got my dates messed up. i thought this challenge was over sooner. but the 14th isn't to far away. i will post the submission thread and start hunting for judges [if needed].

01 January 2007
We are getting a lot of great ideas for the future of the ugac i cant wait to see what the future holds. As for the current challenge even though i did not finish mine i would love to be a judge again for this contest. MitchelHunt i think your ideas has some good merit. It wuld be a great idea for a first major challenge that a lot of people would get into. It would combine Cinematic work with gameplay work. Again cant wait to see what the future holds for this competitions =)

01 January 2007
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CantiCooly: It wuld be a great idea for a first major challenge that a lot of people would get into. It would combine Cinematic work with gameplay work.

Exactly. And it would help us with story telling, if we plan to get into that.

An idea for the theming could be to theme production companies (Double Fine, Epic, etc.). We could say "Design a level that you would see in a game made by "This" production company." Although that might give you too much room to change what you have in your entry, considering some companies make a broad range of games.

Another idea I had was for marketing. Maybe creating a poster, or cover art.

01 January 2007
The only problem with saying lets do it based on this company's work is we could get into some heat or trouble with that company. Not only that but it might limit the creator a little too much. Maybe something like create a concept for a game based around this fairy tale or this classic theme of "Courage". I think that would open up a lot more ideas.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by CantiCooly: The only problem with saying lets do it based on this company's work is we could get into some heat or trouble with that company. Not only that but it might limit the creator a little too much. Maybe something like create a concept for a game based around this fairy tale or this classic theme of "Courage". I think that would open up a lot more ideas.

True, but I think e could get into the same heat if we do a Zelda themed month, as stated earlier by heavyness. Yeah, that would probably work better

01 January 2007
well it doesnt have to be a Zelda themed month but we can do a month based on the principle of zelda that of Courage Compassion and such...i mean its just a suggestion lol. But maybe we could get away with the Zelda type stuff since we are doing the Shadow of Collossus comp and others as such and have not gotten inot much heat. But again i think the whole team long contest woulc be awsome.

01 January 2007
True, and it seemed to work well for the MegaMan MGAC. And yeah, I still really want to do the year-long project. Sounds fun, and I want to get started now, but it wouldn't be as fun if no other groups were doing it.

Originally Posted by heavyness: i asked about having our own version of the "front page" plugs on our page, but i don't think that will happen.

i know you said this a while ago, but that would be really cool. a great way to inspire people to get on that list of images.

Last edited by mitchelhunt : 01 January 2007 at 11:37 PM.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by mitchelhunt: True, and it seemed to work well for the MegaMan MGAC. And yeah, I still really want to do the year-long project. Sounds fun, and I want to get started now, but it wouldn't be as fun if no other groups were doing it.

Quote: Originally Posted by heavyness
i asked about having our own version of the "front page" plugs on our page, but i don't think that will happen.

i know you said this a while ago, but that would be really cool. a great way to inspire people to get on that list of images.

i'm fighting for it.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by heavyness: i'm fighting for it.

cool! i think it would be a wonderful addition

Thread Closed share thread